Prospect Info: 17th Overall - Lukas Reichel

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Admittedly Ian Mitchell had this problem.

He was a top 4 or bust type of defenseman.

Since the great offense he displayed as a college player didn't translate to the NHL, he had nothing else to rely on. Didn't have the size or physicality to hack it as a reliable bottom pairing guy. So that was it.

The Stanley/Kelley group liked these types. And I've liked them in the past, but it just doesn't work often. I mean when it works, it REALLY works, but it's better to have guys that come with a backup plan because chances are it won't work.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
I could be wrong but it seems 1st round bias (outside of blue chips) is a thing. You get attached to that top 30 and sometimes those picks have a leash longer than a rabid pitbull. Not this season? Let's try next. Not then? Let's ship you out where they'll give you a few seasons elsewhere to "figure it out." Whereas, in a tight organization if you're not in the top 30 they want you to have "it" right off the bat.

Seems like we're giving the D the long game here. Crevier/Phillips/Korchinski/Vlasic are all 22 and under.

Meanwhile the "young" forwards getting game time (beyond Luke & The One) are 24/25: (Kurashev, Johnson, Guttman, Katchouk, Anderson, Entwisle, Raddysh)

Point being, I wish we had another couple forwards Reichel's age that were getting a super long leash too. Why just him? Getting a bunch of 25 year olds to project as good depth doesn't move the needle much. And hoping all the kids in juniors or college are better for it so they can be good in short order in the NHL is also wishful thinking. Some do, most don't.

Just to add: Cat (39), Hagel (159), Saad (43), Shaw (139) all got a good chunk of games age 20-22.

You can't find the gems unless you give them a chance.

Last edited:

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I could be wrong but it seems 1st round bias (outside of blue chips) is a thing. You get attached to that top 30 and sometimes those picks have a leash longer than a rabid pitbull. Not this season? Let's try next. Not then? Let's ship you out where they'll give you a few seasons elsewhere to "figure it out." Whereas, in a tight organization if you're not in the top 30 they want you to have "it" right off the bat.

Seems like we're giving the D the long game here. Crevier/Phillips/Korchinski/Vlasic are all 22 and under.

Meanwhile the "young" forwards getting game time (beyond Luke & The One) are 24/25: (Kurashev, Johnson, Guttman, Katchouk, Anderson, Entwisle, Raddysh)

Point being, I wish we had another couple forwards Reichel's age that were getting a super long leash too. Why just him? Getting a bunch of 25 year olds to project as good depth doesn't move the needle much. And hoping all the kids in juniors or college are better for it so they can be good in short order in the NHL is also wishful thinking. Some do, most don't.

Just to add: Cat (39), Hagel (159), Saad (43), Shaw (139) all got a good chunk of games age 20-22.

You can't find the gems unless you give them a chance.
We just started the rebuild that’s why. Those young players are still in juniors or in college. That’ll change in the next few years. But the only other young guy worth a damn right now is Dach and he’s been in concussion protocol for a month, so this is what you get. Next year will be better.

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
It just boggles my mind that a supposed offensive guy can't find a loose puck somewhere sometime within a game and TRY to create an offensive moment out of it. Just crazy.

Can't find a loose puck in the neutral zone? Can't fish out a rebound somehow? Can't make a move to come out of the corner with the puck? Can't have a spin move or stop and go move to shake a guy behind the net and make something happen?

WTF are you doing if you're not doing that? He cannot create squat and thus is totally useless at the NHL level of play. Does he not have people pointing this out to him and demonstrating how ineffective he has become and how much $$$$$ is slipping away?

Maybe he just doesn't care.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Good, even. He might have had a couple points if he wasn't playing with middling (at best) 4th liners.

That's true.

He would probably have 10 more points on the season if he was playing with some top 6 talent.

He can set people up but there is just no finish on this team.

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
Reichel has fewer points than a 22 year old defenseman learning to play in the NHL. So who is Vlasic playing with that Reichel isn't?

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Reichel has fewer points than a 22 year old defenseman learning to play in the NHL. So who is Vlasic playing with that Reichel isn't?

1 fewer point* (not points)

It's too bad the plugs couldn't bury his passes last night.

Reichel hasn't had a very good season but he still makes plays from time to time. And he does have a good game every now and then. I think he will still be a player.

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
1 fewer point* (not points)

It's too bad the plugs couldn't bury his passes last night.

Reichel hasn't had a very good season but he still makes plays from time to time. And he does have a good game every now and then. I think he will still be a player.
I'd be shocked but would welcome his emergence.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
1708273602309.png

Reactions: Mrfenn92

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
Should have happened much earlier if they were going to do it tbh. Hopefully gets him going

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
bedard’s wing was supposed to be reichel’s birthright. that he’s sent down while the likes of philipp kurashev is still there speaks volumes. maybe partially a consequence of the left wing being relatively stronger than the right wing? either way, reichel has to show more, linemate quality be damned.

I'll repost what I put in the fake thread:

Reichel is a good player. He is. 20th on my rankings. This guy will never be a line driver, but he's a solid complimentary piece. He's all IQ, and responsible defensively.

But how the heeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllll are you picking Lukas Reichel ahead of Dawson f***ing Mercer??? Are you kidding me???

I will not talk shit about Reichel. He's a good kid.

But I absolutely will talk shit about Mark Kelley. Please fire him. Pulled that Vlasic bullshit last year, now this? FIRE HIM.
this is a great post on page one to re read today btw go check it out. damn you mark kelley and your vlasic bullshit!

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I’m good with it. He needs some stability and some time to get his confidence back.

Luke must be so happy, now he can watch Entwistle grenade the puck around knowing he never has to come out of the lineup again.

Reactions: Pez68

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
What the hell is he going to get in Rockford he can't get from a suite except the rest of the year trying to get over the shame of failure in the jewel of Northern Illinois?

giza

Jul 19, 2011
He's got speed, he's got hands, he's got playmaking ability. He's soft and I think he lacks drive and the desire needed to excel at this level. He's not the All Star he's been at other places. He's good enough skill wise to be in the NHL, but he needs to figure out what he can excel at this level. To be honest, you would like to see him overall game improve so that he's given the "right" to play with Bedard and Foligno----could be an interesting line if Reichel pulled his weight.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
his confidence was shot the first 20 games were they forced feed him to be a center and when he did not produce his confidence and drive seemed to wane. he is not a center in the NHL he should be on the wing using his speed to the outside. 21 years old lose confidence and they need to figure out how to get it back and that is not going to be this year in chicago. how is he going to regain confidence with enwhistle has his center. who has 5 pts in 47 games. when he was with AA last year he had 15 pts in 23 games. AA is not a world beater but compared to ME he is. AA and LR both had good north south speed and AA has some size to help do the board work. the blame on this is on the player the coaching staff and the GM.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
He's got speed, he's got hands, he's got playmaking ability. He's soft and I think he lacks drive and the desire needed to excel at this level. He's not the All Star he's been at other places. He's good enough skill wise to be in the NHL, but he needs to figure out what he can excel at this level. To be honest, you would like to see him overall game improve so that he's given the "right" to play with Bedard and Foligno----could be an interesting line if Reichel pulled his weight.
i dont think bedard is a good fit at Center with Reichel. they get the top d and then you have 2 guys that struggle on the boards. if it was me if you wanted to get him going it would have been Dickinson. assuming AA was not a option which he was not.

Reactions: CanadianHawks

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Confidence, playing against lesser players.
He's been up and down plenty already, no?

Unless it was his idea to massively overhaul his game, I don't like it.

Question for anybody,

Is there a comp that worked into a useful offensive top 9 type on this path. I'm not the ones that couldn't stick because of a deep roster(Nyquist), cap implications (many fringe firsts on elcs), or roster FA clock details (potential waiver exemptions losses like Crow)? Maybe Turris or El Nino are examples. Can't really think of good comps.

The only other ones I can think of took 4 or more years and that means he's probably a logjam contributor rather than potential asset?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad