Prospect Info: 17th Overall - Lukas Reichel

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Kind of meh pick to be honest. But I think he projects as second line winger.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Seriously, how many people haven't put on 13 pounds this year?

I have no idea how I feel about this pick yet. Euro scouting has been pretty good as mentioned above, so that's encouraging. Half the league probably didn't spend the time and money the Hawks did evaluating that league and program, so that may be encouraging too.

Rumors of Stan on the phone talking to the earlier picks tempers my enthusiasm on those points a little bit, that maybe this was their BPA, but not "their guy".

Reactions: hawksrule

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Seriously, how many people haven't put on 13 pounds this year?

I have no idea how I feel about this pick yet. Euro scouting has been pretty good as mentioned above, so that's encouraging. Half the league probably didn't spend the time and money the Hawks did evaluating that league and program, so that may be encouraging too.

Rumors of Stan on the phone talking to the earlier picks tempers my enthusiasm on those points a little bit, that maybe this was their BPA, but not "their guy".

Sounded like they wanted to get in to the top 12, which have been described as the top tier. To me it sounded like they had Reichel as their 13th guy - or best in the second tier - which makes it a good pick at 17.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Not a Fan. Think this pick will hunt us for years.

Don't see it with him as NHL Top6 player.

That being said. All the best to Reichel. May he become a Top Line player and let me being proved wrong.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
Really like this pick. I like the way he plays the game. Does a lot of the little things that most young players don’t, i.e. winning board battles. He plays hard and he’s very smart. He put up just over a half a point per game in the DEL, which is a men’s league. That’s impressive considering he did all that as a 17-year old (he turned 18 in May). I see him as being a year or two away. Sounds like he has a great work ethic having apparently put on 13 lbs already. Aside from Mercer, there wasn’t anyone I could point to and say that they should’ve been taken over him. Even then, I trust our Euro scouts and really like Reichel’s game a lot. I see a future top-6 wing that will fit well with Dach long-term.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I was just watching the scouching report video on him and it was brought up that in the games they evaluated, Reichel is averaging over 17 high and medium shot attempts per 60 minutes at even strength; that's the most out of the 70 players they looked at. Lafreneire was 2nd with nearly 14.

One thing I loved about the cup era squads were them constantly outshooting opponents. Loved Sharpie in particular for that ability to try to generate shots. DeBrincat has done well in the past with getting multiple shots on goal per game, Kubalik too. If Reichel makes it to the NHL, he'll be another guy who you'd likely see have 3 or 4 shots on the stat sheet on a lot of nights.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
I also like the pick a lot. He plays the right way, always sniffing around high danger areas. Those are the players we need, and if he fills out he has the IQ, hands and skating to become a really good package.

Pretty high ceiling all things considered, and not a low floor. Very Chicago player too in style.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I think this is an incredible pick for you guys. I had him #11 on my board. No player in the entire draft gets off more high-danger shots than Lukas Reichel, despite him being a skinny 17 year old playing against men. His hockey IQ and shot are top-notch and he always makes the right play. He's a near guarantee to be a top-6 player in my opinion.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I was just watching the scouching report video on him and it was brought up that in the games they evaluated, Reichel is averaging over 17 high and medium shot attempts per 60 minutes at even strength; that's the most out of the 70 players they looked at. Lafreneire was 2nd with nearly 14.

One thing I loved about the cup era squads were them constantly outshooting opponents. Loved Sharpie in particular for that ability to try to generate shots. DeBrincat has done well in the past with getting multiple shots on goal per game, Kubalik too. If Reichel makes it to the NHL, he'll be another guy who you'd likely see have 3 or 4 shots on the stat sheet on a lot of nights.
I would love to know the games they have seen and taken for this stat. I think this would take some perspective to it- good or bad.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Really like this pick. I like the way he plays the game. Does a lot of the little things that most young players don’t, i.e. winning board battles. He plays hard and he’s very smart. He put up just over a half a point per game in the DEL, which is a men’s league. That’s impressive considering he did all that as a 17-year old (he turned 18 in May). I see him as being a year or two away. Sounds like he has a great work ethic having apparently put on 13 lbs already. Aside from Mercer, there wasn’t anyone I could point to and say that they should’ve been taken over him. Even then, I trust our Euro scouts and really like Reichel’s game a lot. I see a future top-6 wing that will fit well with Dach long-term.
I agree and like the pick (would have liked Mercer too). I saw in Scouching draft report that Reichel had more shots recorded from high danger area than any other prospect, so he knows where to go on the ice. I think this kid is going to be great.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Worth noting that Reichel will be playing with a lot of other top young prospects in Berlin to start the year. Alex Turcotte, Tyler Madden, Akil Thomas. It'll be interesting to see how he stacks up with some of those older prospects.
Just as note:
DEL has no estimated date to start the season. They pushed it back a month just last week and even starting mid/late December is in doubt.

Once the season starts I will surely watch him a lot closer than last season with at least 1 new linemate.
Played most of the season with Maxim Lapierre and Austin Ortega. Ortega left the team. Both are above average players in the DEL.

Reactions: Muffinalt

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015

I should have read your message before posting the same lol. still think that bodes well.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Are you guys not worried that not a single prospect can be developed in rockford? Dach, Cat, Boqvist, Saad, whatever. The Hogs cant develop anything to save their life. What is up with that? They might be there for 10 to 30 days but thats it. Weird.

Actually yes

Ive been concerned about this for several years. Is it a drafting thing or a development thing?

Look at Tampa, they have a lot of guys they drafted outside the 1st round that spent a season or two in the AHL.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Colliton had them going in the right direction then they promoted him and Rockford went to shit again...They def need to figure that situation out, there was talk of the team leaving RFD which would maybe require them to find a new affiliate, not sure how that works but maybe it would be good for org...It's almost a sure bet based on history that if a player spends a meaningful amount of time in Rockford they're likely not going to be with the org for very long.

A brand new Arena was just built in downtown Iowa city. There was talk of an AHL team. (Think it ended up being Minnesota’s ECHL team)

Would’ve been a nice landing spot for the hogs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toews2Bickell

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I think it is very interesting that the highest pre-draft ranking forReichel I saw was from Draft Dynasty who had him a shockingly high 11th ...

As explained in the video in the Draft Dynasty Final Ranking from 20-11 on YouTube the ranking was based oncoming fir guys with higher ceilings and with more likihood of reaching it ... The assessment onReichel was that he may only top out at 69-65 points bit that you get so many other things with that because he is goid on tge boards and will only get ecen better with more strength as he mature...has such good hockey instincts always making the right lkay...plays a consistent game both ways and goid work ethic forecheck and backaches,does not cheat,,skates well ,checks hard,etc...plus dod very well agaibst men in tge DEL as a 17 yr old most of this season(just turned 18 after tgexseasoninMay)..

So given that high rankibg by admittedly a draft hobbyist who does tge Draft Dynasty videos out of passion but who scours lots of video on prospects looking at bat least 10 games for each and uoto 20 for some reviews,this youtube channel (Draft Dynasty) does a very thorough job in assisting players but emphasizes that it is not where a player is now but what he coukd be 3-4 years from now that matters most.

So on the review for Reichel he admits Reichel is not the 11th best player Now but he is projecting success that he will be a player who reaches his ceiking even though that ceiling ipotentialky less than sone others most have ranked ahead of Eeichel who may never get to the ceilings expected of them...but tgat tge total oackagw you woukd get with Reichel is more than just t tge points he coukd get in his ceiling ..you get a player who plays every game to win and will not slack on shifts,win battles and make plays from that and be good all over tge ice.

So he tells us...do nit expect a mReichel to put up 90-100points..his ceilong is probably all point guy..but considering the total package that would be an excellent pick ..

So Draft Dynasty ranked him that high...

Even tge panel of 10NHK scouts tgat BobMcKenzie uses ranked Reichel 20th...so taking homat#17 is in no way a stretch..

Just realize that kids other rankibg orgs had higher thanReichel coukd reach higher celibgs,or lower floors than Reichel or be complete busts and that the failure rate is high even for many exalted first rounders.

So sure it is possible that Lapierre reaches a higher ceiling but he could akso bust because of his concusdion history or his shot which is not that good ....
It is possible Jacob Prreaukt whosexshot is great scores 35 goals a year one day but even so his ceiling may be just about 65-70 poubts and the rezt of his game without tge ouck slacks too often which mitigates tge net benefits he might bring on offense.

It is possible Mercer with the right linenates hits his celibg but even tgere thatvis not hoibgvto be much gigher than Reichel's but coukd be lower if Mercer only topsvoutxas a 3rd liner akbeitc2 way giyvalso.

It is one thing to think a celiling level on a prospectcforcwhatvygey havecshown so far ...but quite another thing to guess IF that jid reaches tge expected ceiking for the next level ...whether development ceiling has already been reached or whether a lot more via development is coming..

Some prospects ,will be ready forctge NHL sooner ...sone need more developmentvtone to reach their full impact potential.

The Hawks like most actual NHL team scouts probably viewed Reichel as a legit 'equal vKue" risk in a group of 4 they expected might be there from 17-20 ....we do not know if Reichel was 20th o their ore-draft list and 3 higher ranked on their list already were gone or whether only 1 or 2 came off and Reichel was next up on their list.

Tgey probably did not have himat #17 but somewhere between 17-20....or if all 4 "equal value" targetsxtgeyvtalkedvofcwrexoff by#17 then maybe he was next up at #21 I theirvrankibg?

We do not know..

ISS had Reichel #23 .,Mckenzie at #20 and the very admittedly "nob-conssenus" Draft Dybasty #11 ...so given these 3 parameters drafting homat #17 was no stretch ..

If you added alm tgebither rankibv orgs with tgeir much lower rankibg,it could be tgey arectoo influenced by what a pkayers now vs.what he projects to be 3-4 years from now ......youvakso must gator in the different stages of development by early birth dates vs. Later ones like tge May birthrate of Reichel.

But thise calling it a blown pick or a reach are way too clingy to the "consensus" formed by viewing 7-10rankibg lists...

Reichel should be better than Saad because much much superior hockey sense and Daad is on our 1st line abd oaid $6mil a year for basically 50 points and over-rated defensive ability ...so it is not stretch to thonk that Reichel can be bettervoffensovely plus better drfensovely once he is NHL ready and fills out...

So I ghink those calling it a blown pick or that we shoukd have taken certain guys taken after Reichel are way too pre-mature I calling it now...wait 3-4 years.

And if Reichek turns out better than even a #17 "value"...if he getsxto 11th best draft Ed from this class as only Draft Dynasty daredctp put out. Then we all will be laughing our heads off and praising Kelley Nd his stuff for this pick

If a guy picked after Reichel turns out better then so be it...a riskier bet turned roses for that lucky team..

Put it hhhsxwY...if we get 3/4 the pkayer Hossa was fromTeichel that woukd be a job well done by our scouts.. If he turns into Hossa then we are laughing all the way to the H of F with the pick.

I will settle for 3/4 Hossa ...that woukd be be so much better than Saad who has not lived upto his paycheck or 1st line status .

So I expect Reichel to live upto his 17th pick value or exceed it ...

Let us look back in 5 years and re-asses ...way to early to say who was closest to the right guess on Reichel (Iss ,McKenzie /NHL Scouts Panel,The Blackhawks ,or the crazy dude from Draft Dynasty ) vs. Alk tgebithervdraft orgscwho had him more as jate first to a n early 40s pick range ....methinks the first group had it right and he belongs somewhere 11-23 so that 17th is perfectly reasonable and all the others will be proven way off base.

So those claiming Hawks fansxare angry over the pick,Stan blewcit/ a "reach" ,tgese are too stuck on rankibg list s...What matters the actual analysis of a prospect's game,his development ptojection 3-4 years down the road...not not where he is now.

I am optimistic for this pick..

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015

I like that he is not a pass first guy and seems to not be afraid to shoot. Something we need on our roster if everything else progresses.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
At the very least this kid has proved that he can play with men and hold his own. Seems he is destined to complete his KHL contract before moving to NA. And who knows how much he will fill out in the next few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad