Speculation: 2021 NHL Draft thread

What Panthers should do their 2021 1st round draft pick?

• Draft best Center available ( no matter what role )

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
MCKEENS FINAL 2021 NHL DRAFT RANKINGS

Looking at his list, there's some defense in the mid to late 20's.
Thinking Zito may put 23rd in play whether to help move a retained Yandle, or package it to get another top 4 D?
If we do draft 23rd, how's everyone feeling position wise? Feel defense needs to be addressed long term on the right side no?
BPA, HOWEVER if the D and F are close then go D.

Reactions: PSLguy

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Seems a fair bit of mock drafts (6 out of the 10 I've read), "experts" or just news articles have us taking a defenseman but also seen some forwards as well.
This range screams move it for a now piece imo but we shall see.
Chayka seems every interesting to me at that spot. I’d be down for moving it to acquire a top 4 guy but we also need to move Yandle.

ursavolta

Aug 9, 2010
miami, Fl
Seems a fair bit of mock drafts (6 out of the 10 I've read), "experts" or just news articles have us taking a defenseman but also seen some forwards as well.
This range screams move it for a now piece imo but we shall see.

I would really like us to pick Zachary L'Heureux. He is a complete pest, he hits, fights, leads alot of scoring chances and can chip in points. He seems like a fiery brand that will make our team much tougher to play against. Supposedly some scouts liken him to a Max Domi style power forward (even though he is listed at 5'11). If we can temper that into a warrior player.. it would pay dividends to our core. We don't alot of players like this in our prospect pool.

For more information -> Zachary LHeureux | Zachary LHeureux Profile | Zachary LHeureux Scouting Report 2021 (mynhldraft.com)

If not I would like us to pick a fast and mean D. Someone who can intimidate, block shots and throw hits that tilt the ice. We don't alot of those players in our prospect pool either.

But uhh..yeha BPA in any other case.

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
BPA, HOWEVER if the D and F are close then go D.

Yeah, same here. There should be some really enticing wing prospects left at 23 though. The best talent may be a wing unless someone like Lambos or Ceulemans falls. I'm kinda predicting we take a wing for this reason but we shall see.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
The BPA where the Panthers pick is probably Samuel Helenius considering his point totals, player type and being a solid PKer. The downside seems to be that he plays the game hard and in the process takes a lot penalties. He's projected to go in the 2nd round but I think he could easily go in the 1st round.

William Strömgren with the 2nd round pick.

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
The BPA where the Panthers pick is probably Samuel Helenius considering his point totals, player type and being a solid PKer. The downside seems to be that he plays the game hard and in the process takes a lot penalties. He's projected to go in the 2nd round but I think he could easily go in the 1st round.

Helenius would be a big reach at 23. I havent even seen him ranked in the first round. He has some nice potential with that size, but no way at 23.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Helenius would be a big reach at 23. I havent even seen him ranked in the first round. He has some nice potential with that size, but no way at 23.

For an example, looking at Daniil Chayka who's projected to be picked anywhere from mid to late in the first round but is also expected to be a project. Just look at the comparables in that range and you'll see that from a BPA stand point Helenius is one of the better options, imo the best. If Zito has to get e.g. a winger instead of the BPA then he should just trade down for 2nd round pick plus something else.

https://thehockeywriters.com/samuel-helenius-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/
Overall, Helenius has the makings of a solid two-way player. He is a good skater for his size and is a solid penalty killer. He does not have the highest ceiling amongst prospects this year but he does have solid attributes that will result in an NHL team calling his name at the draft come July.

As a comparable what was said about Roope Hintz in 2015...
2015 NHL Draft Profile #68: Roope Hintz
Hintz has the potential to be a second line player in the NHL if he can reach his potential, but is more likely to end up on the third line. He shows a strong two-way game and that should get him plenty of opportunities at the pro level. While he does show the versatility to play wing, his vision, hockey IQ, two-way game, and skating all indicate that his best position might be at centre. Hintz’ style is similar to Patrick Berglund of the St. Louis Blues, though this is a style comparison only and not one based on talent or potential.

Not saying that he's another Hintz, but maybe...

Last edited:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Totally agree, so tired of the BPA talk, our scouting has been better recently, we need to focus heavily on defense long term if we're drafting all the picks

imo there's really no point in drafting primarily according to position in order to meet today's (or even the next few seasons') needs when none of these guys available at #23 will not have any impact for the Cats' roster for the next two, three years. There's like 20-30 dmen from 2016-2018 drafts who are at least top6 dmen for their respective clubs at this moment and maybe a handful of them are top4 dmen.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
?
For an example, looking at Daniil Chayka who's projected to be picked anywhere from mid to late in the first round but is also expected to be a project. Just look at the comparables in that range and you'll see that from a BPA stand point Helenius is one of the better options, imo the best. If Zito has to get e.g. a winger instead of the BPA then he should just trade down for 2nd round pick plus something else.

https://thehockeywriters.com/samuel-helenius-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

As a comparable what was said about Roope Hintz in 2015...
2015 NHL Draft Profile #68: Roope Hintz

Not saying that he's another Hintz, but maybe...

I think Chayka is more polished than Helenius. Helenius could still improve his quickness. Its ok for a player his size, but not quite up to par for a top 6 forward. He projects to be likely a 3rd line center, as Hintz did, but that doesn't mean he will necessarily be anything like Hintz. There's a wide variation between where Helenius could end up and where Hintz currently is.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

Helenius sounds too much like Huselius by name. That’s enough, I don’t need details.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
imo there's really no point in drafting primarily according to position in order to meet today's (or even the next few seasons') needs when none of these guys available at #23 will not have any impact for the Cats' roster for the next two, three years. There's like 20-30 dmen from 2016-2018 drafts who are at least top6 dmen for their respective clubs at this moment and maybe a handful of them are top4 dmen.

Would rather move the pick for a top 4 D.
But we've drafted heavily on forwards the last 5-6 years, time to diversify our portfolio a bit.
Or move some of those forward prospects for a D and then draft more forwards.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
?

I think Chayka is more polished than Helenius. Helenius could still improve his quickness. Its ok for a player his size, but not quite up to par for a top 6 forward. He projects to be likely a 3rd line center, as Hintz did, but that doesn't mean he will necessarily be anything like Hintz. There's a wide variation between where Helenius could end up and where Hintz currently is.

??
All of these guys could improve their quickness and polish their game. I don't see the offensive instincts in Chayka which would make him a good option where the Cats pick.
Helenius' 2way game is on par with that of Hintz at that age so I'll just have to stick with my top6 projection for him.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Would rather move the pick for a top 4 D.
But we've drafted heavily on forwards the last 5-6 years, time to diversify our portfolio a bit.
Or move some of those forward prospects for a D and then draft more forwards.

The trade market for 24-29yo top4 LDs is really thin and thus I don't see Zito finding a dance partner for himself. He should've been on that Devon Toews trade but that happened so early after he got hired. Maybe Pelech as a value trade but I think Zito is more than encouraged to wait and see what happens down the line or in the waiver wire.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I remember Helenius had a good showing at the WJC, maybe try to trade down a bit (3rd rounder is missing due to trades) and still get him?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
??
All of these guys could improve their quickness and polish their game. I don't see the offensive instincts in Chayka which would make him a good option where the Cats pick.
Helenius' 2way game is on par with that of Hintz at that age so I'll just have to stick with my top6 projection for him.

I disagree, Chayka has a very good shot and is a point threat. He could be a good pp2 guy. He also moves the puck well and will jump up in the play. On top of that he's a good skater. Helenius COULD improve on his quickness, or that aspect of his skating could stall. He could just end up being like a Coyle type. A big center prospect that had top 6 potential but never broke out to be more than a 3rd liner.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I disagree, Chayka has a very good shot and is a point threat. He could be a good pp2 guy. He also moves the puck well and will jump up in the play. On top of that he's a good skater. Helenius COULD improve on his quickness, or that aspect of his skating could stall. He could just end up being like a Coyle type. A big center prospect that had top 6 potential but never broke out to be more than a 3rd liner.

Chayka doesn't project to be much more than a defensive dman who is being advertised even on the NHL's website as... "He's a lot better when he keeps it simple," a scout said, according to The Hockey News. "I'm trying to figure out how his game will translate at the next level. I don't think he's a puck-moving guy. Maybe he's a tweener, where he's more of a shutdown guy."
Daniil Chayka NHL Draft Profile | DRAFT
If folks want another potential Gudbranson then this is the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad