Prospect Info: 2022-2023 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 06.04.2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
I get you, but really he wasn’t given the free reign to make mistakes, at least in my view, that top picks usually get and I definitely believe it’s held him back. I also agree he should step up his regimen off season. He needs to be stronger.

what mistakes though? like there aren't many huge mistakes players can make with the puck that are any part of good habits. like laf's game especially has very little real high risk stuff to begin with...he's a smart player with great hands/vision/deception and isn't afraid to go to the tough areas/mix it up. he's not a guy that toe drags on his own blue line or throws no look behind the back passes through the middle kinda stuff. top picks are usually on awful teams where not only is there a spot for them, they are leaned on - and that mental element plays a big role. esp for a guy who plays with a lot of emotion and is a leader at his best. you can outwardly accept and embrace having some elite guys ahead of you as a young player, but mentally it's a challenge to be the player you were at lower levels when you aren't "the guy" at the moment. he's made a lot of progress, but he's still not playing with the jump and command he had at the world juniors, it's just tough to break through that sometimes. if you were saying afraid to make a mistake in that things were moving to fast for him and he was constantly looking to get rid of the puck or avoid taking the shot because i'd agree. i just don't agree it had anything to do with being restrained by fear of being punished for a mistake...i'm speaking especially to his rookie year with his lack of confidence, but he's still a long way from what he can be there. zac jones is more a guy who had to fear making mistakes, because gallant was basically looking for a reason to get a bigger and more defensively inclined guy in that spot.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
bro...would love to ask that guy this question. drury fired everyone but the gatorade bottles and somehow that guy's still out there trying to square pucks on the ice employed as our skills coach

He's only here because of Sather and he has a very New York sounding last name. Plus to quote Jessica Rabbit "he makes me laugh" or Kreider said as such.

I'm not an advocate of canning people but the guy is literally terrible at his job and it trickles down to us the customers. Him and Kathleen Kennedy should hang out.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
what mistakes though? like there aren't many huge mistakes players can make with the puck that are any part of good habits. like laf's game especially has very little real high risk stuff to begin with...he's a smart player with great hands/vision/deception and isn't afraid to go to the tough areas/mix it up. he's not a guy that toe drags on his own blue line or throws no look behind the back passes through the middle kinda stuff. top picks are usually on awful teams where not only is there a spot for them, they are leaned on - and that mental element plays a big role. esp for a guy who plays with a lot of emotion and is a leader at his best. you can outwardly accept and embrace having some elite guys ahead of you as a young player, but mentally it's a challenge to be the player you were at lower levels when you aren't "the guy" at the moment. he's made a lot of progress, but he's still not playing with the jump and command he had at the world juniors, it's just tough to break through that sometimes. if you were saying afraid to make a mistake in that things were moving to fast for him and he was constantly looking to get rid of the puck or avoid taking the shot because i'd agree. i just don't agree it had anything to do with being restrained by fear of being punished for a mistake...i'm speaking especially to his rookie year with his lack of confidence, but he's still a long way from what he can be there. zac jones is more a guy who had to fear making mistakes, because gallant was basically looking for a reason to get a bigger and more defensively inclined guy in that spot.
Whether or not WE think his game isn’t mistake prone isn’t the issue. The coaching staff apparently did at times, especially defensively. And transition. Which means you hold back offensively because you are afraid you might not be able to get back in the position the coaches expect you to be in. And when you lack confidence in general, being afraid you’re going to f*** up is part and parcel, whether you think it rational or not.
But if you don’t think he’s afraid to make mistakes that’s fine. We can believe different things.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Whether or not WE think his game isn’t mistake prone isn’t the issue. The coaching staff apparently did at times, especially defensively. And transition. Which means you hold back offensively because you are afraid you might not be able to get back in the position the coaches expect you to be in. And when you lack confidence in general, being afraid you’re going to f*** up is part and parcel, whether you think it rational or not.
But if you don’t think he’s afraid to make mistakes that’s fine. We can believe different things.

yea i have no problem agreeing to disagree. it's just lafs game has never, at any level, been one that exposes him to stupid mistakes...the kind that would have a coach reigning him in. he's improved a lot, but the way we played often got him pucks with his feet flat or in traffic on the wall which didn't help. when he has been in positions to walk guys i mean...you don't pull backhand toey's in a 1 on 1 when you're afraid of making mistakes. you pull that and get embarrassed you'd get your earhole caved in with a backhand by your old school aaa bantam and midget coaches, trust me. he's not afraid to take risks when he sees them because he can pull it off, he's just a combo of not as confident in himself compared to his final year of juniors and he still needs a step to give himself more opportunities in spots he is confident. if he adds a step and gets more of those he'll have the production he expects to have and he'll get more confident in less comfortable areas. he didn't lose confidence because he was conditioned to avoid mistakes, he was in over his head and he lost confidence in himself.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
prospects thread is on page 78. Same number as Othmann. Coincidence or divine fate?

Will the Rangers let him wear that number? Don’t the Rangers only want high numbers for special players? What if Rangers give him a odd number in camp? Why does he wear 78? Not familiar with the story on why

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Will the Rangers let him wear that number? Don’t the Rangers only want high numbers for special players? What if Rangers give him a odd number in camp? Why does he wear 78? Not familiar with the story on why

they let chytil wear 72, don't think he was any more special than othmann. don't see it being an issue but i suppose you never know. if anything he may get an assigned number like braden initially and change when he's got a full time spot nailed down.

bigger issue i have with the org having a stick up it's hoop is the way no players ever speak publicly anywhere outside of team released media. i wouldn't want guys who care more about being in front of cameras or their social media platform than hockey, but would be cool to hear from players speaking candidly on podcasts or other media platforms every now and again. othmann seems like a character and unfortunately they're gonna muzzle him.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
they let chytil wear 72, don't think he was any more special than othmann. don't see it being an issue but i suppose you never know. if anything he may get an assigned number like braden initially and change when he's got a full time spot nailed down.

bigger issue i have with the org having a stick up it's hoop is the way no players ever speak publicly anywhere outside of team released media. i wouldn't want guys who care more about being in front of cameras or their social media platform than hockey, but would be cool to hear from players speaking candidly on podcasts or other media platforms every now and again. othmann seems like a character and unfortunately they're gonna muzzle him.
If that is the case Drury should have known about his personality before drafting him. I doubt Drury does that. If he does, he's dumber than I thought

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
They already did, he was wearing #78 in the preseason last year.

Normally they let 1st round picks choose their own number before the make the team. Everyone else is assigned some ugly number until they officially make the team.

And why he chose 78:

Finally, the story behind his number 78 because it’s a number you don’t see very often and he has used it throughout his career.

“My favorite player growing up was Sidney Crosby and he was born in 1987,” he revealed. “I was born January 5th but I thought no 15 looked terrible, so I decided to use Crosby’s number and swap it around, turning 87 into 78.”

Reactions: RangersFan1994

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
If that is the case Drury should have known about his personality before drafting him. I doubt Drury does that. If he does, he's dumber than I thought

i honestly can't figure drury out. i can't tell if he's really good or an insecure smug prick. he basically fired everything that wasn't nailed down in hockey ops coming in which was weird, but there hasn't been enough time to see if he knew what he was doing with his hires. he's been a lockbox when it comes to info getting out, he almost never speaks publicly, and his trade history is wildly inconsistent in both cost/benefit and roster profile impact. i'm getting worried it's the latter but i really don't know.

i think they knew the personality, and i'm sure he'll say what he wants in interviews postgame etc...but that players don't speak anywhere else publicly isn't new to drury. that's been around as long as i can remember.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Normally they let 1st round picks choose their own number before the make the team. Everyone else is assigned some ugly number until they officially make the team.

And why he chose 78:

To add to the reason behind 78, is that the junior team he played for didn't allow players to use numbers of superstars. So 66 (Lemieux), 99 (Gretzky), 68 (Jágr), 88 (Kane) etc were not allowed. Othmann's mom then suggested he swaps it to 78.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

And why he chose 78:

Hope he does not whiney and cry like Crosby does lol isnt most people’s favorite player usually someone that plays a similar game to their own. He’s a Crosby fan but does not play similarly like him or played center. I find that odd but Crosby is one of the greats to play, so at least he picked a hall of famer as his favorite player and not someone like Teddy Blueger or a Derek Ryan as their favorite player.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Presumably, we relinquish Leevi Aaltonen's rights today.

Capfriendly says we retain the rights to Kjellberg, Ciccolini, and Hughes another season. I don't totally get it, but take it for what it's worth.
None of these are pro hockey players and should pick another career

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Presumably, we relinquish Leevi Aaltonen's rights today.

Capfriendly says we retain the rights to Kjellberg, Ciccolini, and Hughes another season. I don't totally get it, but take it for what it's worth.

@CapFriendly

Can you weigh in here?
the answer seems clear to me,
related to the absolutely confusing quirks of NCAA eligibility in current times

taking advantage of extended eligibility allowed at some schools
- for Covid and/or redshirt added season,
- or a post grad seasson,
so many guys have in recent seasons

see easton Brodzinski, who played in Jax on a Pack AHL contract - 5 full seasons at SCSU, >175 games

at least 2 entered the transfer portal

Ciccolini at Clarkson,

Hughes will play at Ohio State,
although EliteProspects hasn't caught up with that

haven't seen word re Kjellberg,
but he lost a season to Covid so also eligible for at least 1 more
could return to NMU, altho his brother not due to enter until '24...

will be interesting to see if any/all join June/July Prospect Camp

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
@CapFriendly

Can you weigh in here?
I had no idea CF had an account here, LOL.

What the "confusion" boils down to for me on this issue is that while I understand these guys all have another year of eligibility that was given to them by the NCAA (due to COVID), the CBA and bylaws do not generally track NCAA player rights based on college eligibility. I never saw any amendment to either document to account for the extra eligiblity year, where Ciccolini et al would otherwise be free agents shortly.

• Haha
Reactions: NYR Viper

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I had no idea CF had an account here, LOL.

What the "confusion" boils down to for me on this issue is that while I understand these guys all have another year of eligibility that was given to them by the NCAA (due to COVID), the CBA and bylaws do not generally track NCAA player rights based on college eligibility. I never saw any amendment to either document to account for the extra eligiblity year, where Ciccolini et al would otherwise be free agents shortly.

I didn't either until like two days ago and I was flabbergasted

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I would say Kjellberg and Ciccolini have done okay all things considering. Whether they're worthy of the Rangers signing them is another topic. Kjellberg seems to be a pretty good two way college defenseman. RPI sitting out a year because of covid probably didn't help him. Now he's with Northern Michigan U. which is a better program.

These days late round picks like Ciccolini choose Michigan U. at their peril. Even 1st rounders (in the case of John Beecher) don't always get prime ice time with that team which regularly pulls in 5,6,7 of the best college recruits year after year. Maybe not so much for next year but considering they have Fantilli and Brindley in their draft years I don't know if it matters much. Ciccolini also had several injuries. I don't think he's really ever had a fair chance to show much for that team though.

Being recruited these days by programs such as Michigan U., Boston College or Boston U., Minnesota U. and maybe a couple/three other college programs is kind of in a way a testament in itself that the player has skills.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
easy to write this stuff,
but even guys who never/barely play at NHL level
can have satisfying, fruitful and financially worthwhile careers

without doing the math re prorating his time on NYR rosters,
Tim Gettinger has earned ~$600,000 (signing bonuses and AHL salary)

marginal guys who go to europe make nice salaries with great perks (housing, cars, ...) and see the world

maybe they're not meeting your standards, but still meeting their own

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad