Transfer: 2022/23 Best Signings & Biggest Flops of the Season:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Respectfully, I hope Chelsea agrees with Jersey’s Colwill scouting.

No offense mate

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
De Zerbi loves him. He said they defended man to man with Colwill up against Odegaard, who had his third fewest touches of the season. He is England's best CB prospect by a long way.
De Zerbi loves his ball playing defenders and defensive midfielders, regardless of defensive ability, he was running his Sassuolo defense through Mad Vlad Chiriches. Not a big fan of Collwill either, but it might be because of my own biases, always preferred the old school CBs.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I have not been impressed with Colwill at all watching Brighton lately. Asking a lot to have him reliably step into the side next year. Chelsea will sign another CB this summer anyway.
He has been really good for us over the season with a little bit of a blip in form recently. Looked great on the weekend as well.

I agree he may not be the solution for Chelsea's CB spots next season. All the more reason to make this a permanent move!

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
De Zerbi loves him. He said they defended man to man with Colwill up against Odegaard, who had his third fewest touches of the season. He is England's best CB prospect by a long way.

Respectfully, I hope Chelsea agrees with Jersey’s Colwill scouting.

No offense mate
We’ll see. I don’t see the level comporting with the hype-tier the discourse suggests from Chelsea supporters, certainly not next season.

If he turns into Guehi he came good.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
We’ll see. I don’t see the level comporting with the hype-tier the discourse suggests from Chelsea supporters, certainly not next season.

If he turns into Guehi he came good.
I think he is a lot better than Guehi. Does everything Guehi does but Colwill much better in the air

Bizarro Chelsea backline

Maatsen-Colwill-Guehi-Tomori-Livramento

And that’s not accounting for Reece James but that’s all homegrown guys from the academy

Reactions: JeffreyLFC

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Sterling has done very little.
Felix on Chelsea but that is a loan... but to be fair Chelsea is a mess.
Jesus on Arsenal hasn't done much after the injury.

Pogba was supposed to come back but got injured again? I donno.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Mane - has there been a bigger flop this season than Mane? :laugh:

Excuse my ignorance, but I fail to see how he’s even a flop much less the biggest flop this season if his goal contributions are any indication. He had good numbers before his injury and now since has had worse numbers which shouldn’t be unexpected. If you extrapolate his numbers they’re more than fine and they’ve very good if you go by his pre-injury totals. If it’s a case of stats vs performance, then so be it.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
BuLi Hits:
de Ligt
Tel
Schlotterbeck
Süle
Adeyemi
Hlozek
Juranovic
Liethe
Doekhi
Ginter
Martel
Huseinbasic
Omlin
Itakura
Kolo Muani
Götze

BuLi Flops:
Mane - has there been a bigger flop this season than Mane? :laugh:
Jordan
Kyereh
Fulgini
Nsoki
Ngoumou
Is Jordan the American one? Cause if so I’d like to do a victory lap here.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I think he is a lot better than Guehi. Does everything Guehi does but Colwill much better in the air

Bizarro Chelsea backline

Maatsen-Colwill-Guehi-Tomori-Livramento

And that’s not accounting for Reece James but that’s all homegrown guys from the academy
I said it before, I will say it again, Chelsea have the best academy in England.

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You're being ridiculous.

Given the amount of s*** some EPL fans have talked about the BuLi, I'm being tame :laugh:

Excuse my ignorance, but I fail to see how he’s even a flop much less the biggest flop this season if his goal contributions are any indication. He had good numbers before his injury and now since has had worse numbers which shouldn’t be unexpected. If you extrapolate his numbers they’re more than fine and they’ve very good if you go by his pre-injury totals. If it’s a case of stats vs performance, then so be it.

There's definitely some stats v performance at play because of sample size and Mane playing the most "selfishly" / like-a-poacher of Bayern's attackers when he's in. Especially because he also disrupts Bayern's flow the most when the ball comes to him...and he hasn't provided the clutch goals when the team isn't at its best, that Lewa used to give them and they've had to rely on Musiala & Coman for.

But it's also giving Kahn & Brazzo an excuse to fire Nagelsmann. Mane's not the only reason or even the main one...that was JN pushing the generation shift that Bayern has been overdue for...but Mane was the catalyst that let those knuckleheads fire Nagelsmann before he became too entrenched for them to push out.

There just hasn't been a coach as good as Nagelsmann in the BuLi since Pep left. He's the best german coach in my time following the BuLi and he could've done for them what Pep has done for Citeh over the next decade.

Plus that transfer fee may not seem insane in general terms, but it's the most Bayern has ever paid for a midfielder or attacker...and it's not like Mane is still developing & going to improve.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Is Jordan the American one? Cause if so I’d like to do a victory lap here.

Yeah. He started off well and has the talent to be worth the money we paid, but he lost his starting spot to Kevins Behrens...a 32yo striker we bought 2 years ago from a team who had been battling relegation from BuLi2...and hasn't been able to wrestle it back. With the club being linked to various forwards when the window opens, who would most likely start over Jordan & Behrens.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yes this year… and the future years you don’t expect Munich to replace Lewa and rebuild?

I do but the rest of the league is stronger than it was 4-5 years ago. FCB's wealth insulated them from the weaker post-96er age groups that were coming through german clubs' youth ranks, more than the other clubs...who need to rely on bringing players through either to fill out their teams or to fund other moves.

So just returning to the post-Pep / pre-Nagelsmann level of play with the 9 addressed won't guarantee the kind of dominance they had before...especially with Eberl now having the resources to seriously challenge them over the long term. Nagelsmann was their trump card that ensured the status quo.

Even if Kahn & Brazzo botched the roster building he would've kept them on track. Now they need to up their game on the transfer market to compensate...which will be hard because Eberl's going to do better work than they are, even with the financial advantage they still hold over Leipzig.

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yeah. He started off well and has the talent to be worth the money we paid, but he lost his starting spot to Kevins Behrens...a 32yo striker we bought 2 years ago from a team who had been battling relegation from BuLi2...and hasn't been able to wrestle it back. With the club being linked to various forwards when the window opens, who would most likely start over Jordan & Behrens.
His brain is just not there and I don’t think he’s super talented. I think he’s a freak athlete that chose to play the sport. Dude could just as easily been a running back. Basically he’s Adama Traore 2.0

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
His brain is just not there and I don’t think he’s super talented. I think he’s a freak athlete that chose to play the sport. Dude could just as easily been a running back. Basically he’s Adama Traore 2.0

Could be. I think it was more about his heart than his brain...as the successful start (IMO) led to him taking his foot off the pedal a little, which was just enough for him to no longer be successful and lose that confidence that he initially had.

And when our front two stopped scoring every match, Jordan didn't provide as much as a presser or creator as Becker did. So he lost his spot to Behrens...who isn't as fast or skilled, but who has the heart of a lion & fights every minute he's on the pitch.

Reactions: Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Could be. I think it was more about his heart than his brain...as the successful start (IMO) led to him taking his foot off the pedal a little, which was just enough for him to no longer be successful and lose that confidence that he initially had.

And when our front two stopped scoring every match, Jordan didn't provide as much as a presser or creator as Becker did. So he lost his spot to Behrens...who isn't as fast or skilled, but who has the heart of a lion & fights every minute he's on the pitch.
I’ll add this disclaimer first, I really have not watched him this year apart from very few minutes. Whenever I’ve seen him, his pressing is him just running like a chicken with its head cut off. His creativity was just simple hold up play that’s difficult for sure but it really helps to be the biggest, strongest, and fastest guy on the pitch. I just never really saw any skill as he was always out of position, losing the ball, or making stupid runs.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
There's definitely some stats v performance at play because of sample size and Mane playing the most "selfishly" / like-a-poacher of Bayern's attackers when he's in. Especially because he also disrupts Bayern's flow the most when the ball comes to him...and he hasn't provided the clutch goals when the team isn't at its best, that Lewa used to give them and they've had to rely on Musiala & Coman for.

But it's also giving Kahn & Brazzo an excuse to fire Nagelsmann. Mane's not the only reason or even the main one...that was JN pushing the generation shift that Bayern has been overdue for...but Mane was the catalyst that let those knuckleheads fire Nagelsmann before he became too entrenched for them to push out.

There just hasn't been a coach as good as Nagelsmann in the BuLi since Pep left. He's the best german coach in my time following the BuLi and he could've done for them what Pep has done for Citeh over the next decade.

Plus that transfer fee may not seem insane in general terms, but it's the most Bayern has ever paid for a midfielder or attacker...and it's not like Mane is still developing & going to improve.

Yeah, but was he told to play lIke a poacher? From what I’ve seen he was plenty of times.

Nagelsmann got himself fired and it was about a lot more than Mane.

Whether Bayern should have bought him or not, I don’t think they should have. They also shouldn’t have f’ed up Lewandowski. Still, plenty of midfielders cost more than Mane. Sane, Sanches, Tolisso, Vidal, Javi Martinez.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, but was he told to play lIke a poacher? From what I’ve seen he was plenty of times.

Nagelsmann got himself fired and it was about a lot more than Mane.

Whether Bayern should have bought him or not, I don’t think they should have. They also shouldn’t have f’ed up Lewandowski. Still, plenty of midfielders cost more than Mane. Sane, Sanches, Tolisso, Vidal, Javi Martinez.

He probably was instructed to play that way...especially when he played instead of ECMC rather than around him...all I was saying is that the #s are misleading because he played a different role from Musiala, Coman, Sane, Gnabry, & Müller.

Like I said, Mane wasn't the main reason Nagelsmann was fired but he was the catalyst for the firing...and without him blowing up when he did Kahn & Brazzo might never have gotten the chance to cut off their nose to spite their face.

And you're right. For some reason, I thought Mane cost 50M once the likely bonuses paid out...which would've put him ahead of the 49M that Sane cost them and the ~40M they paid for each of the others.

EDIT:
I do think it was time for Lewa to move on though. He was a big part of that older, more-complacent core group that it was time for Bayern to move on from, this was their last chance to cash in on him, and they're not so rich that they can spend almost 70M on 1 season of Lewa (45M in transfer fee + 22-24M in wages)

Lewa's been rejuvenated by the move and is still a great player...but even without replacing him, JN had them playing better than anyone else in the CL. And that before buying a Sesko or Osimhen to replace him.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I do but the rest of the league is stronger than it was 4-5 years ago. FCB's wealth insulated them from the weaker post-96er age groups that were coming through german clubs' youth ranks, more than the other clubs...who need to rely on bringing players through either to fill out their teams or to fund other moves.

So just returning to the post-Pep / pre-Nagelsmann level of play with the 9 addressed won't guarantee the kind of dominance they had before...especially with Eberl now having the resources to seriously challenge them over the long term. Nagelsmann was their trump card that ensured the status quo.

Even if Kahn & Brazzo botched the roster building he would've kept them on track. Now they need to up their game on the transfer market to compensate...which will be hard because Eberl's going to do better work than they are, even with the financial advantage they still hold over Leipzig.
Your comment was extremely hyperbolic... Munich signing Mane isnt going to stop them from dominating the league the next decade.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
He probably was instructed to play that way...especially when he played instead of ECMC rather than around him...all I was saying is that the #s are misleading because he played a different role from Musiala, Coman, Sane, Gnabry, & Müller.

Like I said, Mane wasn't the main reason Nagelsmann was fired but he was the catalyst for the firing...and without him blowing up when he did Kahn & Brazzo might never have gotten the chance to cut off their nose to spite their face.

And you're right. For some reason, I thought Mane cost 50M once the likely bonuses paid out...which would've put him ahead of the 49M that Sane cost them and the ~40M they paid for each of the others.

EDIT:
I do think it was time for Lewa to move on though. He was a big part of that older, more-complacent core group that it was time for Bayern to move on from, this was their last chance to cash in on him, and they're not so rich that they can spend almost 70M on 1 season of Lewa (45M in transfer fee + 22-24M in wages)

Lewa's been rejuvenated by the move and is still a great player...but even without replacing him, JN had them playing better than anyone else in the CL. And that before buying a Sesko or Osimhen to replace him.

Yeah, but the context there is that you’re not playing him In his favored position. On top of that, Gnabry has played essentially up top and Musiala and Muller both are in a position to up such numbers. And the rest of them don’t have a lot to write home about this season either. Musiala the most maybe, but his production in the back half of the season looks like it’s fallen off a cliff compared to the first half of the season. Anyway, I just think you’ve overstated things regarding Mane being such a flop.

As for Lewandowski, I agree, but they didn’t have a replacement and should have brought one in. It caught up with them in the end regardless of how well they were doing (with Mane) in the CL group stage.

On a side note, I think any rejuvenation for Lewandowski has largely passed at this point.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, but the context there is that you’re not playing him In his favored position. On top of that, Gnabry has played essentially up top and Musiala and Muller both are in a position to up such numbers. And the rest of them don’t have a lot to write home about this season either. Musiala the most maybe, but his production in the back half of the season looks like it’s fallen off a cliff compared to the first half of the season. Anyway, I just think you’ve overstated things regarding Mane being such a flop.

As for Lewandowski, I agree, but they didn’t have a replacement and should have brought one in. It caught up with them in the end regardless of how well they were doing (with Mane) in the CL group stage.

On a side note, I think any rejuvenation for Lewandowski has largely passed at this point.

You're just not going to find many people who watched Bayern this season that would rate Mane over Musiala, Coman, ECMC, and Sane, regardless of what the numbers may say. I'll give you Gnabry...but there's a reason he's probably on his way out too.

And not replacing Lewandowski wasn't the reason Upa lost his mind for 30 minutes. So I have a tough time blaming that for City knocking them off. Granted, with a lewa replacement they may have come back in the 2nd leg, but still.

I'll take your word for it as I haven't watched you much, but he had started to look complacent for Bayern and looked more engaged when I watched you earlier in the year.

Your comment was extremely hyperbolic... Munich signing Mane isnt going to stop them from dominating the league the next decade.

No. But Bayern firing Nagelsmann opens the door for their dominance to be challenged, and Mane was the reason Kahn & Brazzo were able to fire Nagelsmann.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Your just not going to find many people who watched Bayern this season that would rate Mane over Musiala, Coman, ECMC, and Sane, regardless of what the numbers may say. I'll give you Gnabry...but there's a reason he's probably on his way out too.

And not replacing Lewandowski wasn't the reason Upa lost his mind for 30 minutes. So I have a tough time blaming that for City knocking them off. Granted, with a lewa replacement they may have come back in the 2nd leg, but still.

I'll take your word for it as I haven't watched you much, but he had started to look complacent for Bayern and looked more engaged when I watched you earlier in the year.

I know, I’m one of them and I didn’t rate him over them.

They still only scored one goal in the whole tie.

You hit it there, “earlier in the year” or season. He definitely slowed in the back half, but hard to complain too much.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Being “challenged” means the entire direction of the league changed? Dortmund is losing their best player and simply can’t stop bleeding their best players. They may challenge one year but it’s unsustainable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad