Speculation: 2022-23 Roster Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
I think rocco gets signed by another team, a cheap player who can play up and down the lineup for cheap to a cap team....if not, i really hope we can get him on a 2 way because i think we will need him at some point during the season.....he is certainly a interesting player that you feel like could be a impactfull player in the right situation....best of luck to him

Reactions: Ducks DVM

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I think rocco gets signed by another team, a cheap player who can play up and down the lineup for cheap to a cap team....if not, i really hope we can get him on a 2 way because i think we will need him at some point during the season.....he is certainly a interesting player that you feel like could be a impactfull player in the right situation....best of luck to him
Even if he gets other offers, he's a local guy and I wouldn't be surprised if he turns them down if he knows he has a place in our depth chart

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Silfverberg is toast. A shame he’s under contract next season too. Oh well
Ya even retained he’s got no value…. Here’s hoping he has a strong first half and maybe ends up with some value.

I’d almost say he’s buyout candidate, woulda much rather seen other players from camp get a look there, that being said I also don’t think silf plays the whole season, so door should open for that spot at some point

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Silfverberg is toast. A shame he’s under contract next season too. Oh well

Hopefully he was just holding back, but he doesn’t look good. Was hoping that 3rd line could find success like it did in the beginning of last season, but not really sold on it.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Hopefully he was just holding back, but he doesn’t look good. Was hoping that 3rd line could find success like it did in the beginning of last season, but not really sold on it.
Can we stop the holding back/taking it easy talk when it relates to playing in actual NHL games. If a player is actually doing that there's two things: I don't want the player on this team (mentality wise) or they shouldn't be playing in the game period. This isn't beer league.

Last edited:

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Yah at this point Grimaldi is a better option than Silf.. Love the guy but.. Looks his body is not holding up anymore.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Can we stop the holding back/taking it easy talk when it relates to playing in actual NHL games. If a player is actually doing that there's two things: I don't want the player on this team (mentality wise) or they shouldn't be playing in the game period. This isn't beer league.

Regular season games are a different animal. Was talking about preseason. If he is still just coasting and not looking good, then it's an issue.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You have the right line of thinking. Veterans don't typically go all-out playoff style in the preseason. That's pretty much common sense.

Other than guys fighting for a job in the NHL or a Top 6 position, don't expect someone to go 100% . Especially someone who is coming off an injury or had an injury scare.

Unless someone is trying to prove themselves, It's pointless to risk injury in meaningless games. We'll see how they all play, including Silf tomorrow night. But even then, would still give it about a half a dozen games or so, before making a fair assessment.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Regular season games are a different animal. Was talking about preseason. If he is still just coasting and not looking good, then it's an issue.

Agreed. I have absolutely 0 issue with anybody coasting in a meaningless pre-season game. Even rookies.

The one exception are players in the hot seat, which this year was really only Comtois. I think he put better effort in but I'm still not convinced he'll hit his stride this year.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Silf will look the exact same as he did in the pre-season. You guys are being ridiculous lol he's coming off an injury of course he is playing hard he's trying to get into game shape. The truth is he just isn't that good of a player anymore.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Other than guys fighting for a job in the NHL or a Top 6 position, don't expect someone to go 100% . Especially someone who is coming off an injury or had an injury scare.

Unless someone is trying to prove themselves, It's pointless to risk injury in meaningless games. We'll see how they all play, including Silf tomorrow night. But even then, would still give it about a half a dozen games or so, before making a fair assessment.
He's earned that much as far as I'm concerned. Anyone making snap judgements based on a couple preseason games should have their head examined.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
He's earned that much as far as I'm concerned. Anyone making snap judgements based on a couple preseason games should have their head examined.
Silf was awful last season too and the year before that.

Hes a 4th liner at best, no idea why people keep penciling him into a third line role.

Reactions: AngelDuck

bsu

Sep 27, 2017

Hes a 4th liner at best, no idea why people keep penciling him into a third line role.
He's been coasting and taking it easy for the last 3 years. Don't worry he's randomly going to be back to the old Silf one of these days :sarcasm:

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018

His performance waned due to a nagging injury. I'm sure part of that is also age, but I don't think it's outlandish to hope he improves after surgery.

It's easy to suggest he's toast right now because we haven't seen whether or not the surgery helped.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
He's been coasting and taking it easy for the last 3 years. Don't worry he's randomly going to be back to the old Silf one of these days :sarcasm:

I don't think anybody thinks he will go back to "the old Silf." But there's a big difference between what he could be and what he has been the past couple of years due to fairly significant injuries.

A 31yo Silfverberg would still be an asset to this team. A hobbled 31yo Silfverberg wouldn't be.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I don't think anybody thinks he will go back to "the old Silf." But there's a big difference between what he could be and what he has been the past couple of years due to fairly significant injuries.

A 31yo Silfverberg would still be an asset to this team. A hobbled 31yo Silfverberg wouldn't be.
He is what he is, a veteran with experience but on the ice is pretty much just out there at this point. I can't remember a single play Silf made in the pre-season.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
He is what he is, a veteran with experience but on the ice is pretty much just out there at this point. I can't remember a single play Silf made in the pre-season.

I agree, but I (along with others) are saying that is exactly what I would expect from a veteran in a pre-season game.

I'll give him a dozen or so real games before I make any judgment about him.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

I don't know if that's the best way of putting it. He was slowed by what was likely an increasingly agonizing injury, not anything to do with lack of will. If anything, he deserves commendation for playing through it. A lot of guys would have been collecting their paycheck from the shelf.

I mostly agree with your assessment of him though, the pre season play does not leave me encouraged that he'll return to form this season. He's still a half step from where he used to be.

Though I will say whether it's adjusting to a new level/team, or coming back from a long lay off, it often does take guys a dozen or so games to get up to speed. We'll see I guess

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Wouldn't be the most ideal buyout, and I'd probably just eat the last year, however if this team somehow runs into a predicament where we need to free up 3.5M, then it's a no-brainer IMO

1665508942802.png

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Eh, I wouldn't buy him out. We have plenty of money and not playing for anything and I don't think we will be contenders next season either. He may not produce much but you can still throw him out there in situations you don't want to put Zegras/Terry/McTavish/young players.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Wouldn't be the most ideal buyout, and I'd probably just eat the last year, however if this team somehow runs into a predicament where we need to free up 3.5M, then it's a no-brainer IMO

View attachment 592505
If things go bad, I think the likely scenario is he'll get the Kesler treatment rather than a buyout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad