Speculation: 2023-2024 Kraken Roster Discussion

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Houston is making a very quiet, hard push for the Coyotes to relocate there.
I think that makes sense or Salt Lake city. Means you don't have to realign everything. Atlanta or Quebec means you have a western team in the east.

If it's Salt Lake City it's a cold weather place, with an okay population size, with a decent economy and little sports competitions. They are pushing hard for the 2030 Winter Olympics so I imagine facilities and possibly the arena would be upgraded for it.

If that happened then I imagine they'd use Houston for an expansion fee down the line.

Reactions: wewantyoursoul

wewantyoursoul

Oct 14, 2021
Happy Valley, OR
Houston has the Toyota Center right now that houses the Rockets. I suspect you'd see very similar support compared to what Dallas gives the Stars. If the team is winning, the fans will come out. If not, you'll see very sporadic attendance. Houston tends to not show up when teams are down.

If Houston did get the Coyotes, Dallas v. Houston might immediately become the nastiest, most heated rivalry in the NHL. Those two cities do not like each other. I should know. :)

• Haha
Reactions: kihei and Irie

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I haven't seen it mentioned, but I think a decision on Lind is going to have to be made. RFA looking for an NHL chance and a contract with more security. Every Firebirds game I have watched he has been a big standout, and he now has 16 points in 11 playoff games I believe. He won't clear waivers next fall.

I think he gets Donato's spot and Wright stays in Coachella along with the other 21 and 22 draftees. Gives them more time to marinade and provides Seattle with some depth who has shown to not be a liability in his previous limited action.

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
I'm not sure if Wright can go to the AHL. He's not turning 20 until January and he only played 20 regular sesaon games in the OHL this season- if that doesn't count as a full season for the OHL he'll only have 3 full OHL seasons and still can't go to the AHL. If the OHL counts games where he was on the Spits roster but injured he should be able to go to the AHL.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Keller or Crouse maybe? But I still think it costs us a fortune as those players are signed and there is no real reason for the Coyotes to want to move them.
Arizona-Phoenix-Tempe is a shit-show!Buttcrack Bettman needs to move that sad sack of a laughing stock Franchise...how about a real Hockey place like Quebec City where they can fire up their rivalry with the Montreal Canadiens the Winner of 24 Stanley Cups

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I'm not sure if Wright can go to the AHL. He's not turning 20 until January and he only played 20 regular sesaon games in the OHL this season- if that doesn't count as a full season for the OHL he'll only have 3 full OHL seasons and still can't go to the AHL. If the OHL counts games where he was on the Spits roster but injured he should be able to go to the AHL.
Hope Wright is ready cause he'll be in/out of the line up 'til January cause he's not back to Juniors! Having players under 20 go back to Juniors is silly especially if they've outgrown Junior but aren't quite ready for full time duty in the NHL! It will a interesting Summer and I hope Wright hits the weights hard but not too hard as to become Charlie Atlas

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
Yeah, it would be a waste of time for him to be in the OHL next season. I hope he is eligible for the AHL, it would make things much simpler.

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
I tried searching the internet for the text of the NHL-CHL agreement to see if that would shed any light but couldn't find it. It may not be public. We'll have to wait until training camp to see if there's an option to send him to the AHL.

It's a pity he wasn't a week older, then the CHL would consider him to be 20 in the upcoming season and aged out of junior.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Having had some immediate success, would there be any interest in building on the hype and bringing in a star like Vegas did?

If Marner was available for Bjorkstrand+ futures package (something like the old Rick Nash deal or recent Eichel trade) would there be any interest?

Sorry for intruding, most Leaf fans just have a very different opinion on Marner's value so this kind of discussion goes no where

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Having had some immediate success, would there be any interest in building on the hype and bringing in a star like Vegas did?

If Marner was available for Bjorkstrand+ futures package (something like the old Rick Nash deal or recent Eichel trade) would there be any interest?

Sorry for intruding, most Leaf fans just have a very different opinion on Marner's value so this kind of discussion goes no where
I don't see Francis spending what it would take to get Marner here. Bjorkstrand is doable, but this will likely cost multiple futures, which I doubt he wants to part with.

Another thing is team composition. Marner seems to be the opposite type of player he has targeted in the expansion draft or in trades.

Very high cap hit.
Not exactly a high energy player.

I definitely would not mind getting Marner on the team as getting elite offensive talent and a game breaker is most certainly something the Kraken could use.

Reactions: kihei and 4thline

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I don't see Francis spending what it would take to get Marner here. Bjorkstrand is doable, but this will likely cost multiple futures, which I doubt he wants to part with.
Thanks
Yeah definitely futures involved
To me
using the Nash template deal it would be something like
Bjorkstrand + 20 + Tolvanen + Firkus/Goyette/Evans/Nelson
using the Eichel template
Bjorkstrand + 20 + Firkus/Goyette/Evans/Nelson+ 52

It's definitely a lot to pay, but in either scenario still 3 of the 4 named prospects left (plus Wright/Nyman/Winterton etc) and 2 or 3 top 60 picks.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Just looking at the game 2 boxscore on the AHL website, it looks like he only had 1 SOG in the triple OT win. AHL website doesnt provide any TOI numbers unfortunately.

Edit : I'm getting my boxscores mixed up, their website is kind of a pain to navigate.

Last edited:

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
OK let me try this again...

Game 1 : no points, 1 SOG
Game 2 : 1 A (Lind ES goal in the 1st), 1 SOG
Game 3 : no points, 1 SOG
Game 4 : scratched (looks like Kartye's first game back for the series, not coincidentally)

Reactions: majormajor

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Starting to get just a tiny bit concerned about Wright.
I think the concern is legit in the sense that he has definitely not dominated in the AHL or the NHL as a 18/19 year old. He did very well back in juniors though.

Maybe a lot of us were wrong in thinking that he had a pro ready game. I am far from giving up on him because he seems to smart of a player, has a wicked shot already. He definitely needs more time though.

I have read multiple knowledgeable posters say that he is AHL eligible next season but I have not really heard anything from the management or our reporters say anything about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad