Speculation: 2023-24 Sharks Roster Discussion

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
yeah how very dare teams want to hire leadership that are familiar and have a vested personal interest with the success of the franchise and the city.
Familiarity might help, that's true. But it's definitely not something that should be a deciding factor over other aspects.

But every coach should have "a vested personal interest with the success of the franchise and the city", no matter the team or the history they might have with the team - it's their job after all.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
In the world where we’re pretending like we’d be the one a top end free agent would sign. We’d need to significantly overpay someone to get them to seriously consider us.
True but there's a limit to that. If Marchessault, for example, wants to be paid like a 40 goal scorer, only a few teams have the flexibility to accommodate that with the risk that he's gonna drop off.

Another way of looking at it, which contending teams can offer him 3x6+M and not care about the risk?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
True but there's a limit to that. If Marchessault, for example, wants to be paid like a 40 goal scorer, only a few teams have the flexibility to accommodate that with the risk that he's gonna drop off.

Another way of looking at it, which contending teams can offer him 3x6+M and not care about the risk?
If the going rate for someone is 3x6 then our price is probably more like 4x7.5 or 8.

Reactions: Sandisfan

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Torres cleaned up his act once he became a Shark and was an incredibly useful middle-6er. Whatever trouble he got into was purely because of reputation.
That well-earned reputation was what turned off many fans when he was acquired. Also, he did earn a 41-game suspension while with the Sharks (Torres didn't appeal, and DW said it was deserved), which, combined with his ACL injury, meant he only played 16 regular season games over the course of three years with the Sharks, so his usefulness was very limited and I'm not so sure just how much he did actually clean up his game.

Reactions: Hangemhigh

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
That well-earned reputation was what turned off many fans when he was acquired. Also, he did earn a 41-game suspension while with the Sharks (Torres didn't appeal, and DW said it was deserved), which, combined with his ACL injury, meant he only played 16 regular season games over the course of three years with the Sharks, so his usefulness was very limited and I'm not so sure just how much he did actually clean up his game.
It was absolutely not deserved, and the NHL even rewrote rules to try to justify their bullshit decisions during the playoffs (suspending him for an entire series on a hit that was legal at that time).

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
That hit was legal, DW then got a fine for calling them out. lmao good times

I hated the Torres signing, but while I felt his hits we're legal at the time, I agree it's exactly what the NHL needed to get out of the league. Unfortunately for the Sharks, Raffi was made an example of prior to the rules being changed, and enforcement was quite inconsistent across other players.

I also feel that's where the sharks really started to get screwed by player safety. Wasn't there a point where SJ had something like 8+ multi-game penalties assessed for their hits, and zero assessed against them in like a 5+ year period. It was bizarre.

Luckily, I'm sure Parros was impartial. Also WTF is up with an enforcer as the safety czar...

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
It was absolutely not deserved, and the NHL even rewrote rules to try to justify their bullshit decisions during the playoffs (suspending him for an entire series on a hit that was legal at that time).
You're talking about the Stoll hit, right? The 41 game suspension came about from a hit during a preseason game against Silfverberg and the Ducks, but that was after Torres had already missed nearly two full seasons because of his knee problems.

I do not disagree with you on the playoff suspension being undeserved, though. But I will say, it's the risk you run when you bring in a player like Torres with that kind of reputation.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
This summer entirely depends on the draft lottery: If they win it, then be in "go for it mode". Feel free to hand out $$$ and term as likely smith, mack, bystedt etc go pro and its go time.

If they lose it, then you wanna save the space for next summer by lots of 1-2 year deals. The only player of note I would be willing to bank 7 years on is Sam Reinhart (at 9M per year). other than that, I wouldnt go long term this summer for big money if they lose the draft:

1. Sign Daniel Sprong, 2yr, 5M (2.5/yr)
2. Bring back Duclair, 2yr 6M (3/yr)
3. Foegle 2 yrs, 6M (3m per)
4. Dakota Joshua (though I think hell resign in Van): 2 yrs, 6M (3M per)... I reallllly like him so Id be fine with $$$ and term for him like 5 yrs, 20M)
5. Alex Carrier (1 yr, 3M)
6. Oliver Ekman larsson 2 yrs, 8M (4M per)

That's 18.5M.

Then find some aging vets for 1 yr filler deals for the other 15M in space. Tanev (1 yr, 5M), Bendon Dillon back 1 yr, 4M).

We will stink, but the eye goes the the summer of 2025. Top UFA's to be (unless they resign earlier of course) include: Dreisietl, rantanen, marner, hedman, Boeser, Konecny, Ehlers among others. If the sharks are poised with tons of space to make a run at one (or more) of them, that would be neat. They should have TONS of space and all their top prospects ready to step in by 2025-26.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan and knu

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I don't think there's any reason to consider "going for it" if we get Celebrini. We are way, way, way too far away for that, and Celebrini is not going to step into the league as a contending 1C. If we're lucky, he steps into the league as a playoff 3C and turns into a 1C over the course of a season or so.

A Sharks' team with Celebrini, Smith, Eklund, Granlund, Zetterlund and some free agent as the core forwards, with Ferraro, some free agent, and Thrun/Benning/Rutta/Mukhamadullin in the top four, and Vanecek and Blackwood in goal would remain awful - maybe we get lucky and reach 70 points.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I don't think there's any reason to consider "going for it" if we get Celebrini. We are way, way, way too far away for that, and Celebrini is not going to step into the league as a contending 1C. If we're lucky, he steps into the league as a playoff 3C and turns into a 1C over the course of a season or so.

A Sharks' team with Celebrini, Smith, Eklund, Granlund, Zetterlund and some free agent as the core forwards, with Ferraro, some free agent, and Thrun/Benning/Rutta/Mukhamadullin in the top four, and Vanecek and Blackwood in goal would remain awful - maybe we get lucky and reach 70 points.
To me, that's a successful "step forward" and we're still likely drafting top 5. Would love that outcome.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Lurking a bit, looks like Bolts fans are ready to ship out Erik Cernak. I was intrigued… until I saw the 7x$5.2M contract he has left. Still, worth looking into if they’re trying to clear cap space to keep Stamkos.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Lurking a bit, looks like Bolts fans are ready to ship out Erik Cernak. I was intrigued… until I saw the 7x$5.2M contract he has left. Still, worth looking into if they’re trying to clear cap space to keep Stamkos.
I would give up a lot for Cernak. He's exactly what we need.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Familiarity might help, that's true. But it's definitely not something that should be a deciding factor over other aspects.

But every coach should have "a vested personal interest with the success of the franchise and the city", no matter the team or the history they might have with the team - it's their job after all.

Yes, but someone who has a history here and likes it here will want it more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad