2023 ATD Poll #2- Chance element in Playoffs

Do you support a chance/random/aleatory element being added to ATD Playoffs this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I loathe pinball chance play.
I lobbied for YEARS to get this subboard back from the Fantasy Board.

This is a legit academic history query what-if scenario.

I ain't a part of any dice-rolling.
Never have, never will be. Ugh.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I believe in chance... in one'estimation of players - in HISTORICAL REFLECTION: Roy is up and down; Gretzky always delivers; Bossy has great years but is injury likely.

Hasek wins one on one but what if a Shanny or Dino is in the crease already? (Mario on breakaway he already has owned)

Here is a typical play. Hasek throws his stick (he usually just drops it), makes two saves but tgen faces Mario Lemieux (not his signature save against Mario but s.a.f ):

To be clear: this ain't Hasek's most famous save against Mario.

Hasek has the greatest save percentage in NHL history and had a great Czechoslovakian league, World Championships and Canada Cups career before bailing for an NHL career in his mid20s, dominating *yes Dom did* until 18 years later. He was staggering. Like Gretz. Like,... few others.

Last edited:

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I get that most of the time a #1 seed will beat a lower seed and that people want some upsets but I'm not convinced that random chance is the way to do it. Outside of fluke injuries or crazy bounces and the like, I don't think that upsets happen due to random chance in a 7 game series.

Ideally, it would happen when two teams with opposing team-building strategies meet and the underdog makes a compelling argument.

So random is a no from me.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
No. May the best team win.
Here in the world, even the Western world- the best candidate doesn't always win the election. In a parallel manner, the best team doesn't always prevail in our vote-tallies.

No doubt- we make a good-faith effort... and we do okay- but we've heaved up a few dodgy-lookin' boli, over-the-years.

The idea that there's some sort of metrical precision attached to our voting process- precision that would somehow be sullied if we were to incorporate a modest chance-element into the process... well- that's a position I don't share.

However- this year at least- I suppose I'm spitting into the wind...

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
To the extent that the ATD is about rewarding GMs for good research (an idea that was integral to the founding of the draft as well as its "peak" years), this proposal would take away from that. (I realize that there isn't all that much ATD-relevant research left, at least that can be easily done, on the top 500 players of all-time).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad