Series Discussion 2023 Dallas Stars Playoffs Discussion | Western Conference Finals vs. Vegas Golden Knights | VGK Leads 3-2

Jackattack030

Sep 29, 2020
You're just gonna have to let that go. Those deals must have seemed like a good idea at the time, to both Nill and fans. Every team has similar deals of paying for past performance. Nill has done a better job than most in rebuilding the team before those contracts expire.

I think this loss (last night's game or the series) is just typical playoff hockey. Had we been at our best, we might have won this, but we weren't. We don't know what Nill might do with cap management. Geez, he somehow offloaded Guri's salary and got a player out of the deal. I agree he needs to pull some magic rabbit out of the hat, but it can be done.

I presume we keep Miro, Esa, and Harley. Suter or Hanley stays as our no. 7 Dman, so we need 3 replacements, ideally for Hakanpaa, Miller, and 1 of the other two mentioned. We have Nils, so we need 1-2 more. We can realisitically only trade out one other D, and hopefully, Grush or Bish somehow is miraculously ready, or we will replace them with our AHL level D men in Austin for a year.
Suter is at 3.65 million so I think they'd buy him out (saves them 2.86 million) rather then use him as a 7th defenseman. I think Hanley is 7 Dman. Miller or Hakanpaa gets dealt the other is the 6th DMan. My capfriendly math has them at 6.366 million and needing a RD spot if they trade Miller and buyout Suter and sign Delly, Kivaranta, Glending, Hanley, and call up Stankoven, Lundkvist, and Bourque.

Attachments

• stars roster.png
    stars roster.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 2

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Think about the future. You have to start Jake and let him know he’s the #1 and has the teams confidence.
Or let wedgewood come in and hopefully manage to win a game . Than put otter back in . How many times should a goalie get pulled before the back up gets a game ? Watching a game could be huge for otter .

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Suter is at 3.65 million so I think they'd buy him out (saves them 2.86 million) rather then use him as a 7th defenseman. I think Hanley is 7 Dman. Miller or Hakanpaa gets dealt the other is the 6th DMan. My capfriendly math has them at 6.366 million and needing a RD spot if they trade Miller and buyout Suter and sign Delly, Kivaranta, Glending, Hanley, and call up Stankoven, Lundkvist, and Bourque.
Suter isn't getting bought out, and he's never going to be a 7th d-man on this team.
The best we can hope for is he is no longer stapled to Heiskanen playing 20+ mins a game.
More likely than not we're looking at offloading Miller and otherwise running it back

Or let wedgewood come in and hopefully manage to win a game . Than put otter back in . How many times should a goalie get pulled before the back up gets a game ? Watching a game could be huge for otter .
You don't switch to wedgewood, have him win the game, then go back to Oettinger.
If they switch to Wedgewood, and he wins, you're riding him for however long the series goes thereafter

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I like where your head is at, but even getting a good dman with that chunk of money still leaves weakspots on the blueline with the other pairings past Miro.

I agree with @M88K I think there will be a minor change to the D and that is it.

Reactions: LT

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
You're just gonna have to let that go. Those deals must have seemed like a good idea at the time, to both Nill and fans. Every team has similar deals of paying for past performance. Nill has done a better job than most in rebuilding the team before those contracts expire.

I think this loss (last night's game or the series) is just typical playoff hockey. Had we been at our best, we might have won this, but we weren't. We don't know what Nill might do with cap management. Geez, he somehow offloaded Guri's salary and got a player out of the deal. I agree he needs to pull some magic rabbit out of the hat, but it can be done.

I presume we keep Miro, Esa, and Harley. Suter or Hanley stays as our no. 7 Dman, so we need 3 replacements, ideally for Hakanpaa, Miller, and 1 of the other two mentioned. We have Nils, so we need 1-2 more. We can realisitically only trade out one other D, and hopefully, Grush or Bish somehow is miraculously ready, or we will replace them with our AHL level D men in Austin for a year.
I'm only bringing it up because you downplayed how much the Seguin and Benn contracts hurt the team. This empty cap space is a hindrance, especially entering next season when the big contracts for Hintz, Robertson, and Miro are all fully kicked in.

I see the laundry lists of needs fans want to address, but the Stars only have $7.3 million in cap space next season, and most of that is going to go to the five forward roster spots currently occupied by UFAs/RFAs with a couple of those spots going to some young guys I assume on ELCs and the rest going to third liner vets.

It's hard to go upgrade this roster because the Stars first have to trade money away to add anyone new, and Marchment is the only guy who makes any material amount of money who doesn't have full no move protection or isn't one of your young studs you don't want to move. That's the thing. Because the Stars are overpaying two guys to the point where they're getting no value from 10-12% of their salary cap, they are largely stuck with the guys they have and have to hope any improvement comes from young guys from within.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Sadly, the best thing the Stars can hope for is Suter decides he's done and retires. Buying him out doesn't help a lot.

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I'm only bringing it up because you downplayed how much the Seguin and Benn contracts hurt the team. This empty cap space is a hindrance, especially entering next season when the big contracts for Hintz, Robertson, and Miro are all fully kicked in.

I see the laundry lists of needs fans want to address, but the Stars only have $7.3 million in cap space next season, and most of that is going to go to the five forward roster spots currently occupied by UFAs/RFAs with a couple of those spots going to some young guys I assume on ELCs and the rest going to third liner vets.

It's hard to go upgrade this roster because the Stars first have to trade money away to add anyone new, and Marchment is the only guy who makes any material amount of money who doesn't have full no move protection or isn't one of your young studs you don't want to move. That's the thing. Because the Stars are overpaying two guys to the point where they're getting no value from 10-12% of their salary cap, they are largely stuck with the guys they have and have to hope any improvement comes from young guys from within.
There's talk between the league and PA to potentially increase the cap beyond the 1m as well (not sure if it'll happen)

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
Benn doing media availability right now and taking some responsibility is better than nothing and better late than not at all :\ He's still kind of skirting it, but maybe he got a stern conversation and would prefer to not be here at all.

Dude, you're getting a game. Just accept this and move forward.
ssjb.jpg

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
He started the responsibility strong and kind of fizzled.
I dunno, not awesome. Not Terrible.

Does this mean that this is his defense of the situation?
Does that make this 1 game or more for lack of acknowledging the situation?

Screen Shot 2023-05-24 at 11.51.50 AM.jpg

Liked & Subscribed

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Literally multiple angle videos of him not "falling", this is the best he could come up with in 12 hours?

He probably should have tried the I saw a spider and i know Stone is allergic and was trying to squish it.

if he wasn't getting suspended before, he definitely will after that

• Haha
Reactions: eartotheground

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
Good Guy Mike McKenna trying to throw up some tweets to misdirect the negative attention :\
Domi fined 5k for slashing...Stone? evidently.

Complete shitshow- show up in game 4 or leave your fanbase in shambles for the entire offseason.

Last edited:

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Literally multiple angle videos of him not "falling", this is the best he could come up with in 12 hours?

He probably should have tried the I saw a spider and i know Stone is allergic and was trying to squish it.

if he wasn't getting suspended before, he definitely will after that
i'm here for a good spider defense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad