Prospect Info: 2023 Draft #38: G Michael Hrabal

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Goalies are often an enigma when it comes to their development. It’s rarely linear or easy to guess what happens next on their path. Some try and look at their positioning and poise as an indicator of their potential. Others will look at size and movement to find the right fit. At the 2023 NHL Draft, there are a few very different options for teams looking for a netminder. The biggest of the bunch is Michael Hrabal.

The 6-foot-6 Czech goalie has spent the season with a struggling Omaha Lancers squad. The team ended up in third to last place and despite this Hrabal posted a .908 save percentage in 31 games. It was a valiant effort from the netminder in his first season in North America. Internationally the stats are far better, and he has drawn a lot of positive attention to himself throughout the season. This comes from both his size but also the abilities he showcased, which makes for a rare and interesting mix.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
The easy comparison to make would be Ben Bishop due to the size. But I think he is more athletic than Bishop was, even during his prime. Maybe not like Vasilevsky, but I do see Pekka Rinne like qualities in his game which would obviously be the homerun scenario. I also like that he is already in north america playing NCAA next season. That could help accelerate his development.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Huge departure from previous years, when we threw goalies in as an afterthought or picked them because they were on Team Canada and no other reason.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Huh, don't love a goalie this early but we'll see. With that frame and athleticism he's interesting

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Great article:

Scary part for us:
6B24258D-D36F-44C5-B9B8-E32D6E622F30.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad