NHL Entry Draft 2023 NHL Draft Thread

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
As long as the Sens scouts value character over skill, we’re “never” going to hit home runs late into the draft.

Sure, we might get some serviceable NHLers, but you can sign those guys for free, trade for them, or even get them off waivers.

Should be swinging for the fences, at least every 2nd pick.

I also think our scouting has been shit since Covid. Thankfully the majority of games were played in 2020, because everything since then hasn’t been good.

I wonder if Operations realized they could save money and continue to scout virtually.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
As long as the Sens scouts value character over skill, we’re “never” going to hit home runs late into the draft.

Sure, we might get some serviceable NHLers, but you can sign those guys for free, trade for them, or even get them off waivers.

Should be swinging for the fences, at least every 2nd pick.

I also think our scouting has been shit since Covid. Thankfully the majority of games were played in 2020, because everything since then hasn’t been good.

I wonder if Operations realized they could save money and continue to scout virtually.
Hey, what happened to Ottawa drafting Oliver Bonk? Every NHL team & GM talk about getting players with good character not just Ottawa & over the yrs they have drafted plenty of guys with skill.

Almost every yr after the draft & free agency a number of people are pissed off & a number of people are okay with what the scouts think & most people on the street could care less.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
NHL Draft Grades: Analyzing each team's haul at the 2023 event
According to The Score? Sens get a D- after this year’s draft.
Is what it is, picking where they did they were always going to have a poor draft.

It’s very likely that 4/5 of the picks don’t earn a contract, wouldn’t be surprising in the least if all 5 guys never, just the nature of the beast picking in the 4th, 6th, and three times in the 7th.

Also, the draft recap is hilarious, a not so subtle shot at the Sens 2021 draft.

“The Senators like what the Senators like. Yet again, Ottawa exits the draft with a few more 6-foot-2-plus skaters who didn't score much in their respective leagues. Maybe it will work out this time.”

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
With late picks they should have swung for the fence.

Dallas drafted a guy, 6'3 Sebastian Bradshaw in 59 games he had 61pts and 68 pims

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Valuing size isn't a bad thing. You do need it for the playoffs. Also guys who have a high compete level. But I would like to see a bit more weight giving to hockey sense/IQ. And skating.

But I think what....maybe 5% of fourth rounders and beyond become full time NHLers? So yeah, the odds of this draft producing a kid who plays 500+ NHL games is pretty slim. That's why you really want to hold on to those first and second round picks.

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006
We drafted Cam O’Neil last year who played in the same circuit, and he put up 133 points in 62 games.

This year, he got 27 in 52 in the USHL.
And when you watched him play, full games, what did you think of his game?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
And when you watched him play, full games, what did you think of his game?
I never watched him play. What does that have to do with anything?

The league they both came from are extremely, extremely weak. It’s high school and AAA hockey. Producing there doesn’t correlate to producing at the actual prospect levels. Most of the guys in that circuit don’t get drafted to the CHL or USHL

Going from the small pond to the big pond isn’t easy, the difference in hockey level is enormous. As we saw with O’Neil making the jump from High School to the USHL this year, he went from leading the entire league by a large amount, to a guy who couldn’t crack the top 10 of his Junior team.

Last edited:

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
to be fair a lot of Sens fans were upset about the Tkachuk pick and I remember him having something to say about it a few years later, probably having been exposed to a lot of the negativity online. Thankfully he forgave the fanbase and became their favouite player and team captain.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
to be fair a lot of Sens fans were upset about the Tkachuk pick and I remember him having something to say about it a few years later, probably having been exposed to a lot of the negativity online. Thankfully he forgave the fanbase and became their favouite player and team captain.

Even at the time, I was 100% on the Tkachuk bandwagon and never understood 80% of our fanbase that was salivating over Zadina and the outrage that ensued. Prospects like Zadina (goalscoring wingers) are literally available every year. Prospects like Tkachuk are extremely rare and he was still very highly regarded and exactly what we've wanted as a building piece going back two decades. If anything, that outrage by our fanbase just showed me that 80% of our fans don't know what they're talking about.

Still, that was nothing compared to what's going on with the Montreal pick right now. What a gong show.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Is what it is, picking where they did they were always going to have a poor draft.

It’s very likely that 4/5 of the picks don’t earn a contract, wouldn’t be surprising in the least if all 5 guys never, just the nature of the beast picking in the 4th, 6th, and three times in the 7th.

Also, the draft recap is hilarious, a not so subtle shot at the Sens 2021 draft.

“The Senators like what the Senators like. Yet again, Ottawa exits the draft with a few more 6-foot-2-plus skaters who didn't score much in their respective leagues. Maybe it will work out this time.”
I like how the scouts constantly get shit on for 2021 but if you look at the draft, on the whole, there's only 3 players who have played at least 80 games in the NHL who were drafted after Boucher. And, in total, there's only 7 players from the draft who have played at least 80 games. Maybe some patience is required?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I like how the scouts constantly get shit on for 2021 but if you look at the draft, on the whole, there's only 3 players who have played at least 80 games in the NHL who were drafted after Boucher. And, in total, there's only 7 players from the draft who have played at least 80 games. Maybe some patience is required?
Probably because they already lost half the picks in the draft, all like the described players in the quote, less than 2 years later because they decided they weren’t worth a contract.

Ostapchuk looks fantastic. Every other pick has either been let go already, or severely failing to meet expectations.

Last edited:
Reactions: GermanSpitfire

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Probably because they already lost half the picks in the draft, all like the described players in the quote, less than 2 years later because they decided they weren’t worth a contract.
And this is applied equally to every draft? Or just 2021 specifically? Because I don't seem to remember there being a lot of lamenting about the bad drafts in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2018. Or is it just specifically the Boucher pick, who I just pointed out is not an outlier relative to the entirety of the 2021 draft, in terms of games played.

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006
I never watched him play. What does that have to do with anything?

The league they both came from are extremely, extremely weak. It’s high school and AAA hockey. Producing there doesn’t correlate to producing at the actual prospect levels. Most of the guys in that circuit don’t get drafted to the CHL or USHL

Going from the small pond to the big pond isn’t easy, the difference in hockey level is enormous. As we saw with O’Neil making the jump from High School to the USHL this year, he went from leading the entire league by a large amount, to a guy who couldn’t crack the top 10 of his Junior team.
Just laughing at the stat scouting. As everyone should. Consider watching these guys play before having such strong opinions. ;)

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
And this is applied equally to every draft? Or just 2021 specifically? Because I don't seem to remember there being a lot of lamenting about the bad drafts in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2018. Or is it just specifically the Boucher pick, who I just pointed out is not an outlier relative to the entirety of the 2021 draft, in terms of games played.
No draft since 2000 have the Sens lost 3 guys less than 2 years since they were drafted.

Specifically the Boucher pick? They used a 49th overall pick on a 6’5 D with no offense, who couldn’t stay as a top 4 D in the OHL for London, who they didn’t bother to offer a contract too. What does NHL games played 2 years after the draft have to do with how a pick is progressing? It’s not like the draft was yesterday and we have nothing to go on to see how a draft pick has progressed. We have 2 full seasons to evaluate his play. Can he become a great player for us? Absolutely. Has his past 2 seasons been what we wanted to see from him? Obviously not.

Sens were the worst drafting team in the league from 2012-14. There was a ton of lamenting about wasting picks on a lot of guys taken in that frame.

We just had Andreas England V 2.0 with Roger. That pick was laughed at immediately by lots. We had him in our top 20 and he had generational compete. There is been tons of laughably bad moment by the Sens drafting, just like there has been tons of good. 2021, undoubtedly, falls deep in the bad side of things as of now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodzilla

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Just laughing at the stat scouting. As everyone should. Consider watching these guys play before having such strong opinions. ;)
It’s not scouting, at all. It’s pointing out that going from the US high school circuit to higher levels isn’t easy, with a recent example from a guy the Sens drafted. It’s an incredibly agreed upon principal.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad