2024-25 Roster…too soon?

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Would love Necas if the price is right. Being concerned about trading 2nds for a good young player like Necas is ridiculous.

He’s going to cost more than that though.

I like the idea of Teuvo and one of a Stephenson/Marchessault

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I'll bet Marchy gets back to Vegas, he really wants to be there. Especially when you bounce around a lot in your career and then find a place you fit. I'm gonna guess they sign Wennberg. I think KD is still a little gunshy for the UFA market

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
I asked the Vegas board about Stephenson and they are not overly positive about him. Which was surprising to me at least.

• Wow
Reactions: Muffinalt

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I asked the Vegas board about Stephenson and they are not overly positive about him. Which was surprising to me at least.
It shouldn’t be, but most people just stat watch and see he’s put up points the past few years. Before he got the opportunity in Vegas which had basically no depth centre, he was a fringe NHLer in Washington.

He’s bad defensively, and frankly gets carried on a line (He’s played with Stone mostly). So if you’re looking for a line driver, look elsewhere.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
It shouldn’t be, but most people just stat watch and see he’s put up points the past few years. Before he got the opportunity in Vegas which had basically no depth centre, he was a fringe NHLer in Washington.

He’s bad defensively, and frankly gets carried on a line (He’s played with Stone mostly). So if you’re looking for a line driver, look elsewhere.
what he did on Washington doesnt matter to me. He was playing 4th line wing. I was under the assumption that he was fairly good defensively as well. He plays center 20 min a night and plays some PK and PP.

Reactions: Pertti

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
what he did on Washington doesnt matter to me. He was playing 4th line wing. I was under the assumption that he was fairly good defensively as well. He plays center 20 min a night and plays some PK and PP.
For what he’s gonna get in free agency, it’s going to be a horrific contract

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
arvidsoon is probably going to walk as a UFA and all it did was get them good enough to bounce in the first round. being a playoff team should not be the goal. 16 teams make it. being a top 8 team in the league should be. and some home ice in the first and 2nd round.
It's like Havlat not being their when it mattered. It changed the lineup and allowed them to play better.

There's value is just getting the roster playing in appropriate matchups at a higher level. It's not all pts in the standings. Most of the 2nds are going to do nothing other than make Rockford a little better, which is good but too many creates a logjam.
I think there needs to be a balance.
This. They're way out of balance. Everything has been on development and amateur scouting, and that's a big time gamble. Fortunately the hockey god orbs favor Chicago so far.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's like Havlat not being their when it mattered. It changed the lineup and allowed them to play better.

There's value is just getting the roster playing in appropriate matchups at a higher level. It's not all pts in the standings. Most of the 2nds are going to do nothing other than make Rockford a little better, which is good but too many creates a logjam.

This. They're way out of balance. Everything has been on development and amateur scouting, and that's a big time gamble. Fortunately the hockey god orbs favor Chicago so far.
Again, I'm not playing the games of "well what about this..." or that.

It's a general rule, just don't do it. Build up your prospect pool then figure it out because you'll see what you have. You're not sniffing a Cup until like 2029 or 2030 realistically and a few years prior to that to get really good, don't try and do the shortcuts, consider that the timeline you want players within it. You don't know which '2nd' is going to be THE one that gets you over the top.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Again, I'm not playing the games of "well what about this..." or that.

It's a general rule, just don't do it. Build up your prospect pool then figure it out because you'll see what you have. You're not sniffing a Cup until like 2029 or 2030 realistically and a few years prior to that to get really good, don't try and do the shortcuts, consider that the timeline you want players within it. You don't know which '2nd' is going to be THE one that gets you over the top.

There is no rule of thumb when building a team. We have something like 23 picks from the 2022 draft to the 2026 draft in the first two rounds. It’s perfectly fine to trade some.

Reactions: Muffinalt

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
There is no rule of thumb when building a team. We have something like 23 picks from the 2022 draft to the 2026 draft in the first two rounds. It’s perfectly fine to trade some.
2.3X the base level when you're in a full tank/rebuild doesn't feel unreasonable to me.

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
Draft Levshunov and Sennecke
Trade a 4th in 2025 (Leafs have no picks) for all of Tavares's cap hit of $11M
Sign Dillon on D to pair with Levshunov
Re-sign Anderson

Hall-Bedard-Nazar
AA-Tavares-Kurashev
Reichel-Dickenson-Foligno
Slaggert-Donato-Anderson

Vlasic-Jones
KK-Murphy
Levshunov-Dillon
Kaiser

Mrazek
Soderblom/Stolarz

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
At this stage, you don't make trades just to make trades.

But you do pick up the phone and hear what guys are going for. If you feel someone's a good match, then you try to make a deal. Just don't rush into a bad trade because you're desperate to improve the roster.
Looking at a player like Necas would not be a trade just to make one. He's young enough to fit the timeline, there are plenty of higher picks in the next 2 drafts and there is a situation why he might become available.
We've been on the other side of this in the past, now we can look to take advantage of other teams cap problems.

Necas can be a longtime member and would fill a need. Same with a guy like Farabee. Those are players that will help and might become available for us.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Looking at a player like Necas would not be a trade just to make one. He's young enough to fit the timeline, there are plenty of higher picks in the next 2 drafts and there is a situation why he might become available.
We've been on the other side of this in the past, now we can look to take advantage of other teams cap problems.

Necas can be a longtime member and would fill a need. Same with a guy like Farabee. Those are players that will help and might become available for us.

Necas would be a great fit at 2C. He’s gonna be expensive in a trade though.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Necas would be a great fit at 2C. He’s gonna be expensive in a trade though.
Depending on the situation and who else is willing to trade for him and pay him longterm... Canes Cap seems to be a problem and I doubt he takes a small bridge contract. I'm not saying go all in on him, just that he might become an option for us to get him on a fair deal for both.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Trade a 4th in 2025 (Leafs have no picks) for all of Tavares's cap hit of $11M

Tavares has full NMC he isn't waiving

And if he did waive WTF would Hawks give up a 4th round pick for doing Leafs favor of clearing $11M off cap?

If Tavares did ok a trade to Hawks, it would require a very nice asset coming Hawks way from Leafs and likely a buyout involved (Tavares would not want to come to a non-contender)

Reactions: HawksDub89 and Crow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad