2024-25 Roster…too soon?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I'm glad Nylander is off the table. Stupidest thing to do is start handing out 7 or 8 year deals to players in their prime before you've established your pieces in the draft to know what you're working with and what your timetable is.

Reactions: Crow and TJBrocker

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I could see the Hawks taking a significant plung into UFA's ala Huet/Campbell signings in 2008. I would be quite happy if they ended up with Reinhart and one of Pesce or Montour (having moved Murphy at the TDL to open up the salary and role for one of those D). Otherwise Mrazek, Foligno, Dickinson on short term deals and keep perculating kids to fill in the rest.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I could see the Hawks taking a significant plung into UFA's ala Huet/Campbell signings in 2008. I would be quite happy if they ended up with Reinhart and one of Pesce or Montour (having moved Murphy at the TDL to open up the salary and role for one of those D). Otherwise Mrazek, Foligno, Dickinson on short term deals and keep perculating kids to fill in the rest.

They need top six talent to play with Bedard. Running it back with this same level of forward talent will be negligence. Not just because Bedard deserves help, but so do the young defenders.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
They need top six talent to play with Bedard. Running it back with this same level of forward talent will be negligence. Not just because Bedard deserves help, but so do the young defenders.
I can guess that one of those top six talents will be their draft pick from this upcoming draft. Then maybe a guy like Nazar making the jump. I'd like to add at least one top 6 forward in FA.

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
Hall-Bedard-Reinhart
Dickenson-Celebrini-AA
Reichel-Novak-Kurashev
Donato-Foligno-Anderson

KK-Jones
Vlasic-Pesce
Megna
-Murphy

Mrazek
Soderblom

Reinhart for $8.5M x 7 years
Novak for $3M x 3 years
Pesce for $5.5M x 5 years
Megna for $850 x 2 years
Reichel for $1M x 1 year
Vlasic for $5M x 8 years

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
Hall-Bedard-Reinhart
Dickenson-Celebrini-AA
Reichel-Novak-Kurashev
Donato-Foligno-Anderson

KK-Jones
Vlasic-Pesce
Megna
-Murphy

Mrazek
Soderblom

Reinhart for $8.5M x 7 years
Novak for $3M x 3 years
Pesce for $5.5M x 5 years
Megna for $850 x 2 years
Reichel for $1M x 1 year
Vlasic for $5M x 8 years
Poor Jaycob Megna bussing tables between games to try to make rent

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Only if they pick first overall. I don't think anyone but Celebrini is NHL ready.
Yeah. True for 2024-2025.

Nazar will probably be given every chance to be a Top 6 guy next year. I wouldn't be shocked to see someone like Dach play a decent amount of NHL minutes next year if he can finish this year on a high and be healthy, have a good camp.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Just get a real first line wing for the offensive zone, defense not required. Hall doesn't count and he'll be years from playing a real top line role when/if he returns.

No player inputs from Richardson, and new assistants since I doubt Richardson is going anywhere.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Updated from original post…

Signed with players

Connor Bedard
Taylor Hall
Philipp Kurashev
>Jason Dickinson
>Nick Foligno
Andreas Athanasiou
Ryan Donato
-Colton Dach
-Ryder Rolston
-Jalen Luypen
-Samuel Savoie
—Gavin Hayes
—Paul Ludwinski
-Antti Saarela

Seth Jones
Kevin Korchinski
Connor Murphy
Wyatt Kaiser
-Ethan Del Mastro
-Nolan Allan

>Petr Mrazek
Arvid Soderblom
-Drew Commesso

RFAs
Lukas Reichel
Taylor Raddysh
Alex Vlasic
Cole Guttman
Mackenzie Entwistle
Reese Johnson
Boris Katchouk
Isaak Phillips
Joey Anderson
-Michal Teply
-Filip Roos
-Jaxson Stauber
-Mike Hardman
-Louis Crevier
—Landon Slaggert
—Dominic Basse
—Connor Kelley
—Liam Gorman
—Michael Krutil
—Villi Saarijarvi

UFAs
Tyler Johnson
>Anthony Beauvillier
Nikita Zaitsev
Jarred Tinordi
Colin Blackwell
>Jaycob Megna
>Zach Sanford
>Rem Pitlick
-David Gust
-Brett Seney
-Luke Philp

Cut Corey Perry lose, extended Dickinson, Foligno and Mrazek, acquired pending UFAs Beauvillier, Megna, Sanford and Pitlick…

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Updated from original post…

Signed with players

Connor Bedard
Taylor Hall
Philipp Kurashev
>Jason Dickinson
>Nick Foligno
Andreas Athanasiou
Ryan Donato
-Colton Dach
-Ryder Rolston
-Jalen Luypen
-Samuel Savoie
—Gavin Hayes
—Paul Ludwinski
-Antti Saarela

Seth Jones
Kevin Korchinski
Connor Murphy
Wyatt Kaiser
-Ethan Del Mastro
-Nolan Allan

>Petr Mrazek
Arvid Soderblom
-Drew Commesso

RFAs
Lukas Reichel
Taylor Raddysh
Alex Vlasic
Cole Guttman
Mackenzie Entwistle
Reese Johnson
Boris Katchouk
Isaak Phillips
Joey Anderson
-Michal Teply
-Filip Roos
-Jaxson Stauber
-Mike Hardman
-Louis Crevier
—Landon Slaggert
—Dominic Basse
—Connor Kelley
—Liam Gorman
—Michael Krutil
—Villi Saarijarvi

UFAs
Tyler Johnson
>Anthony Beauvillier
Nikita Zaitsev
Jarred Tinordi
Colin Blackwell
>Jaycob Megna
>Zach Sanford
>Rem Pitlick
-David Gust
-Brett Seney
-Luke Philp

Cut Corey Perry lose, extended Dickinson, Foligno and Mrazek, acquired pending UFAs Beauvillier, Megna, Sanford and Pitlick…
Let’s say the first 7 forwards on your list are locks (they are). Reichel has no arbitration, he’ll be back. Dach likely pushes for a spot. Slaggert is going to sign. 10 forwards.

Nazar could sign and we could win Celebrini. 12 forwards. Plus a few free agents. The garbage we‘re putting on the ice will run out of runway, I could see a scenario where none of the arbitration eligible forwards get qualified.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Anderson, Katchouk and Raddysh should all be Qualified if not traded. Amounts are all basically League Minimum. Even if you end up putting one or more through Waivers.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I'd try to bring back Domi. I think we will see Nazar given every chance to make it. I think we will see another prospect coming up like Dach or Greene.
Raddysh should be back.

Not sure how to add NHL caliber Top 4 D, but this would be another step helping the team to get better.

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
I'd try to bring back Domi. I think we will see Nazar given every chance to make it. I think we will see another prospect coming up like Dach or Greene.
Raddysh should be back.

Not sure how to add NHL caliber Top 4 D, but this would be another step helping the team to get better.

I think Domi would also be a great addition in the long term. You could give him 5 x $3.5M. He is a player who could play higher in the lineup in his early years and still contribute in a bottom-six role as he ages.

Stamkos on a high two-year deal would be fun.

Nazar and Greene could get some games at the end of this season to burn a year but should go to Rockford in high-leverage roles as they learn to be pros. There is a big difference between the NCAA and NHL. Commesso talked about the challenge recently in an article.

Pesce, Skjei, and Montour could be multi-year deals on the back end or guys like Martinez, Brodie or Tanev could be good short-term options.

Megna is cheap and effective as a depth D here or in Rockford

Domi-Bedard-Stamkos
Hall-Celebrini-AA
Reichel-Dickenson-Kurashev
Donato-Foligno-Anderson

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I see the Hawks going after a maximum of 2 forwards. If they go the D route, it will have to be of the shut down type to let Korchinski try and do his thing......I really don't see Davidson be too aggressive with quantity.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I think KD sticks with 1 and 2 year deals unless something crazy good falls on our laps. Pesce and Montour Skej want to get paid. this is there last longer term deal 4 years or more. I think the only major mistake I think KD made. not every deal worked out but at the time I did not veiw them as mistakes was filing out the bottom of the Roster internally. J anderson, entwhistle, R johnson, Katchouck and on D tinoridi. when your waiver pickups Megna and stanford are better then the internal guys you brought back you clearly overrated your talent:
Entwhiste 44 games 2G 3A
R Johnson 34 2G 1A
J anderson 26 2G 6A

and he keeps scracting Katouck in favor of the above 33 5G 4 A.

I know we are not going to find top 6 guys in UFA that will take 1-2 year deals but at least find legit 3rd and 4th line and bottom paring D that will. not guys that would be bottom 6 in the AHL at 26. bring in at least legit NHL players. or young guys.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
When the Hawks made their playoff debut in 2009 after a seven-year absence, they had 7 players in the lineup for Game 1 that were born in 1985 or 1986, which means 2008-09 was their Age 23 or Age 22 season.

Dustin Byfuglien
Brent Seabrook
Troy Brouwer
Andrew Ladd
Cam Barker
Kris Versteeg
Dave Bolland

Barker and Seabrook were 1st round picks, Bolland was a 2nd round pick, Byfuglien and Brouwer were late picks, Versteeg was traded for as a prospect (AHL rookie at the time), Ladd was the only one that was acquired as an established NHL player but was young and acquired the prior deadline for an established top 6 player.

I think there's gotta be some patience given the Hawk prospects are still young and the bulk of what's in their system won't be 22/23 for a few more years. A foundational youth movement means your "depth prospects" are going to need time to develop before they are ready to step into roles on playoff teams. Bedard came about a year too soon in some ways.

Reactions: TheOne

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I think the notion of capitalizing on Bedard's ELC years is a bit overblown at this point anyway. We have essentially a blank slate cap-wise and won't have to make many tough decisions for the foreseeable future. Jones' deal will be off the books in 5(?) years and that's the only problematic cap hit we have at the moment.

Edmonton and Toronto are in such pickles allocating their cap space because they wasted so much of it on underperforming players. It's not that McDrai have a combined $20m+AAV, it's that they're overpaying guys like Nurse and their goalies, as well as being ineffective at drafting beyond their franchise talents. Toronto focused way too much of their cap on 4 forwards without drafting and developing dmen or depth players properly.

Kyle Davidson can avoid all of that if he's smart and observant of the NHL contract landscape. He hasn't made too many mistakes as of yet so I'm excited to see how he handles things going forward. I hope this season is the last one where we're a team in the gutter however and we at least try to start being more competitive via adding short-term UFA contracts to the squad to help insulate our young players.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I think the notion of capitalizing on Bedard's ELC years is a bit overblown at this point anyway. We have essentially a blank slate cap-wise and won't have to make many tough decisions for the foreseeable future. Jones' deal will be off the books in 5(?) years and that's the only problematic cap hit we have at the moment.

Edmonton and Toronto are in such pickles allocating their cap space because they wasted so much of it on underperforming players. It's not that McDrai have a combined $20m+AAV, it's that they're overpaying guys like Nurse and their goalies, as well as being ineffective at drafting beyond their franchise talents. Toronto focused way too much of their cap on 4 forwards without drafting and developing dmen or depth players properly.

Kyle Davidson can avoid all of that if he's smart and observant of the NHL contract landscape. He hasn't made too many mistakes as of yet so I'm excited to see how he handles things going forward. I hope this season is the last one where we're a team in the gutter however and we at least try to start being more competitive via adding short-term UFA contracts to the squad to help insulate our young players.
All that's needed is some legit NHL talent that actually fits their role, a real top-six level forward that Bedard can elevate and not an AHL squad. It will be terrible for guys like Nazar's growth to to not put an effort to have playable guys.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Not a fan of Entwistle but I guess you bring him back. I could see them bringing Blackwell back
but not at much more than he's getting now. I think Katchouk, Raddyish and everyone they've brought in during the season will be gone. I think Nazar will want more your with sorority girls.

X - Bedard - X
Reichel-AA-Hall
Donato-Dickinson-Kurashev
Foligno-Blackwell - Entwistle
Reese Johnson/Joey Anderson

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Let’s say the first 7 forwards on your list are locks (they are). Reichel has no arbitration, he’ll be back. Dach likely pushes for a spot. Slaggert is going to sign. 10 forwards.

Nazar could sign and we could win Celebrini. 12 forwards. Plus a few free agents. The garbage we‘re putting on the ice will run out of runway, I could see a scenario where none of the arbitration eligible forwards get qualified.
Resign Vlasic

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Canucks draft pick and U of Michigan captain Jacob Trustcott will not sign, heading to free agency this summer…what do you guys think? Worth a look?

Attachments

• 430F0B56-0C83-4BA8-B1A7-E39EAA315694.png
    430F0B56-0C83-4BA8-B1A7-E39EAA315694.png
    320.5 KB · Views: 1

MHO

Sep 27, 2023
Just putting this out there with some assumptions....

Hall-Bedard-Kurashev
Reichel ($1.5M)-Athanasiou-Celebrini (ELC)
Nazar (ELC)-Dickinson-Foligno
Slaggert (ELC)-Donato-Dach

Vlasic ($5M)-Jones
Korchinski-Murphy
Del Mastro-Allan
Kaiser

Mrazek
Soderblom

This team isn't particularly good but with these assumptions, 21 players signed, AND McCabe & Bailey's dead cap hits, they would STILL need to spend $3M just to get to the floor!

They probably don't get Celebrini and Nazar/Slaggert/Dach/Allan likely spend more time in the AHL but next year I see a team significantly better than the one the year before Kane/Toews rookie season but not as good as that 07/08 team Kane/Toews got here.

They're probably going to sign a couple more vet forwards like Toffoli or maybe even Stamkos to 1 or 2 year deals but they can still use their cap space as a weapon. Toronto is in deep cap hell and they might trade us Tavares for a 25 2nd round pick or something. I know he's not even that good but he'd definitely be an upgrade for next year.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Just putting this out there with some assumptions....

Hall-Bedard-Kurashev
Reichel ($1.5M)-Athanasiou-Celebrini (ELC)
Nazar (ELC)-Dickinson-Foligno
Slaggert (ELC)-Donato-Dach

Vlasic ($5M)-Jones
Korchinski-Murphy
Del Mastro-Allan
Kaiser

Mrazek
Soderblom

This team isn't particularly good but with these assumptions, 21 players signed, AND McCabe & Bailey's dead cap hits, they would STILL need to spend $3M just to get to the floor!

They probably don't get Celebrini and Nazar/Slaggert/Dach/Allan likely spend more time in the AHL but next year I see a team significantly better than the one the year before Kane/Toews rookie season but not as good as that 07/08 team Kane/Toews got here.

They're probably going to sign a couple more vet forwards like Toffoli or maybe even Stamkos to 1 or 2 year deals but they can still use their cap space as a weapon. Toronto is in deep cap hell and they might trade us Tavares for a 25 2nd round pick or something. I know he's not even that good but he'd definitely be an upgrade for next year.
IMG_2345.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad