Speculation: 2024-25 Roster thread

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
That’s a lot of IF though. Plus, overpaying for some players that may help us make the playoffs seems shortsighted
Oh I'm not in the "we need to make the playoffs now" group.

Pesce and Roy are clear targets on the back end. Either of those guys would be the best RHD we have had since Manson's peak. They are only 29 and I would have no problem giving either of them 5 year deals.

And the RW position should be a stopgap. The Ducks don't need an 7x8 million dollar forward from UFA. They just need a guy they can be a stopgap and insulate the kids for a couple years. They can overpay anyone they want as long as it is for 1-2 years.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I'd don't think we get top RHD unless we give more overpayments. Pesce/Roy would want 6-7 years at 6-7 million a year to play in Anaheim. Montour would want even more and wouldn't fit well with our lineup. I think Demelo and Hakanpaa take team friendly deals to stay with their current contending clubs. Tanev will take a team friendly top contender.

We are totally going to overpay players from left field. Chatfield 4x4M for a speedy gritty minute muncher, and Desharnais 3x2.5M for beef. Both will be 28 RHDs.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Oh I'm not in the "we need to make the playoffs now" group.

Pesce and Roy are clear targets on the back end. Either of those guys would be the best RHD we have had since Manson's peak. They are only 29 and I would have no problem giving either of them 5 year deals.

And the RW position should be a stopgap. The Ducks don't need an 7x8 million dollar forward from UFA. They just need a guy they can be a stopgap and insulate the kids for a couple years. They can overpay anyone they want as long as it is for 1-2 years.
If you're not in the "we need to make the playoffs now" group, I don't see why you overpay for a 29 year old defenseman who looked pretty bad vs the Oilers.

It would also be kinda weird for Verbeek to offer Matt Roy a 5 year deal but was hesitant to sign the much better Hampus Lindholm to a long term deal.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
If you're not in the "we need to make the playoffs now" group, I don't see why you overpay for a 29 year old defenseman who looked pretty bad vs the Oilers.

It would also be kinda weird for Verbeek to offer Matt Roy a 5 year deal but was hesitant to sign the much better Hampus Lindholm to a long term deal.
Lindholm was a LHD. Lindholm had an injury history. Trading Lindholm was done at a time that helped get the 10, 2, and 3 pick. The Ducks are trying to improve now, not get worse.

I'm not going to let 5 games effect the way a player is viewed when there are like 400 career games to go off of. He has been a solid top 4 RHD for like 5 years now.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California

I’m pretty sure he offered Lindholm a 4 or 5 year deal, which understandably wasn’t enough for him.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Lindholm was a LHD. Lindholm had an injury history. Trading Lindholm was done at a time that helped get the 10, 2, and 3 pick. The Ducks are trying to improve now, not get worse.

I'm not going to let 5 games effect the way a player is viewed when there are like 400 career games to go off of. He has been a solid top 4 RHD for like 5 years now.
Ducks didn't need any help getting the 10,2 and 3 pick even with Lindholm those were all going to pretty much happen.

Pretty big 5 games though. Contract year, last chance for him to win with the team he spent his whole career with and he laid an egg. He has been a solid top 4 RHD but will he be when the Ducks are in the playoffs? I find it hard to believe that he will be, especially when he will have to go up against the Oilers again with a few more years and a few more miles added on.
I’m pretty sure he offered Lindholm a 4 or 5 year deal, which understandably wasn’t enough for him.
Yeah but he only has 6 years left now. So timetable wise, would almost be the same as offering Roy a 5 year deal in 2024.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
The Samuelis should absolutely be telling verbeek that after this 3rd pick in the draft enough is enough. The skill is there time to compete. Zegras and macT aren’t children anymore time they are given players to succeed with. Also, enough of the waiver bin fodder and let’s bring in actual impact 4th line players( Big boss Ross Johnston still being around and inserted into the Lineup when we play tough teams is also a nice plus) this is the first season since the ducks rebuild era where I can honestly say we weren’t bullied. Johnston and gudas had a lot to do with that
Ownership being involved in hockey ops is generally not something that goes well for teams

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
The Samuelis should absolutely be telling verbeek that after this 3rd pick in the draft enough is enough. The skill is there time to compete. Zegras and macT aren’t children anymore time they are given players to succeed with. Also, enough of the waiver bin fodder and let’s bring in actual impact 4th line players( Big boss Ross Johnston still being around and inserted into the Lineup when we play tough teams is also a nice plus) this is the first season since the ducks rebuild era where I can honestly say we weren’t bullied. Johnston and gudas had a lot to do with that
I don't think that's how good rebuilds happen. We need to wait until our core takes a real step and then add.

The Kings did that, and then they found out they missed on Turcotte and they didn't have the roster they thought they did. Look at them now. We don't know that the skill is there yet. It appears to be there, but we are still a bottom 3 team. Buying players shouldn't be how we get into the playoffs, it should be how we get into contention. Our young core hasn't shown they're ready yet and we don't really know what we have.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Sounds like Regenda is playing well for Slovakia. Really hope we give him a fair shot before he bounces to a team that will.

Edit: just realized we only had him signed through 23-24. Wonder if we give him another contract.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Do even the smallest amount of research on the Buffalo Sabres and you’ll know why this is a bad idea.

Reactions: MMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad