2024 Draft Discussion

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Simon Zether at eliteprospects.com

https://thehockeynews.com/news/ten-2024-nhl-draft-eligible-prospects-to-watch
Meet the Team: Sweden's 2023 U18 World Hockey Championship roster - EP Rinkside

I haven't seen a real scouting report of him yet but he looks like he's got good handles and poise from the practice clips. Not the fleetest of foot but a 6'3" righty center prospect? Sign me up.

You’re not going to get credit for bringing this kid up because I made a thread for him on the prospect forum and have been bringing him up on our board for awhile now.

But we can be on the same page with this one as far as someone we hope the Wings draft.

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Okay, whose my super quick, high skilled, pass first playmaking center whose undersized (5’10”ish 165lbs) that causes him to be overlooked and I can root for us to get for the next 11 months - I need names people

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Okay, whose my super quick, high skilled, pass first playmaking center whose undersized (5’10”ish 165lbs) that causes him to be overlooked and I can root for us to get for the next 11 months - I need names people
I’d say Berkly Catton, but he’s definitely not going to be overlooked. He just created a lot of buzz for himself at the Hlinka.

How would you feel about an undersized center from Sweden named Zetterberg?

Reactions: Realgud

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I know it's too early to ask this, but I'll ask it anyway...

Based on the strength of defense in the draft, if Detroit picked a premium RD (assuming they select #10 to #20 with their own pick or #14 to #24 with the Boston pick), is that defenseman from 2024's 1st more likely to make the roster before ASP?

I ask this because I personally think ASP's size and defensive play makes him more of a project.

Also, do you think there will be a defenseman with similar or greater potential at either of Detroit's picks? (whichever one isn't traded.)

Last draft was great forward draft... they went after defence.

This draft is good for defencemen... prepare Draper going after forwards.

They seem all the time go against the consensus.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
I’d say Berkly Catton, but he’s definitely not going to be overlooked. He just created a lot of buzz for himself at the Hlinka.

How would you feel about an undersized center from Sweden named Zetterberg?
You can't go wrong with Zetterberg.

The funniest thing would be if he becomes that good as well.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think Tanner Howe’s name has a nice ring to it
Sounds like a cell phone kiosk name. Who names their kid Tanner? Full House fan? Yuck.

I get the Howe part, but nobody is gonna call him by his last name. What's his hockey nickname, Tanny? Double yuck.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
1. Draft a Right handed center.
2. Draft a Right handed defenseman.

Detroit won't get a top spot in the draft, so pick what is hard to aquire.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Alfons Freij (D) and Brandsegg-Nygard (F) both look like impressive prospects from Sweden for this draft so far.

I'm going to be keeping an eye on this Cayden Lindstrom kid playing for Medicine Hat. 6'4" center who was pretty productive last year and had a good pre-season this year already. Was only an Honorable Mention on Bob's pre-season list, but I could see him being a riser.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Also none of you posted Bob's pre-season list in this thread? I'm disappointed...

YOU'RE disappointed?

I'm disappointed that it seems like this year is loaded with defensemen and an underwhelming forward crop. It's giving me shades of the 2012 and 2018 draft.

Reactions: lilidk

Murmansk16A

Apr 29, 2022
Alfons Freij (D) and Brandsegg-Nygard (F) both look like impressive prospects from Sweden for this draft so far.

I'm going to be keeping an eye on this Cayden Lindstrom kid playing for Medicine Hat. 6'4" center who was pretty productive last year and had a good pre-season this year already. Was only an Honorable Mention on Bob's pre-season list, but I could see him being a riser.
Isn't Brandsegg-Nygard from Norway? But playing in Sweden.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Isn't Brandsegg-Nygard from Norway? But playing in Sweden.
Wrong use of words be me and I did assume he was Swedish. Mostly I meant players that I have been impressed by who are playing in Sweden because their season is already going. Should have mentioned he is from Norway, you are right.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Last draft was great forward draft... they went after defence.

This draft is good for defencemen... prepare Draper going after forwards.

They seem all the time go against the consensus.

Detroit went against consensus in 2018 and got Zadina and Veleno instead of any 8 other defensemen from that draft that are full time players better than Veleno and Zadina.

Sometimes it's idiotic to go against consensus. And I'd bet dollars to rubles that Gibson and Cleveland play fewer NHL games than any of the 10 or 15 2nd round forwards fans on this board were clamoring for. Or that ASP won't be as impactful as many of the forwards drafted after him.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Detroit went against consensus in 2018 and got Zadina and Veleno instead of any 8 other defensemen from that draft that are full time players better than Veleno and Zadina.

Sometimes it's idiotic to go against consensus. And I'd bet dollars to rubles that Gibson and Cleveland play fewer NHL games than any of the 10 or 15 2nd round forwards fans on this board were clamoring for. Or that ASP won't be as impactful as many of the forwards drafted after him.

Your example is not ideal, as they went with consensus at least ranking-wise with those both 1st round picks in 2018. Another example would be 2019 where they picked a D despite not many being ranked highly (iirc only Byram was generelly perceived as Top 10 worthy).

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Completely out of left field; keep an eye on Sam O’Reilly.
Tore the GOJHL apart last year as a 16 year old. Will play for London this year.

Knights also recently sent Bonk, Cowan and Mailloux to the GOJHL as 16 year olds . All became 1st round NHL picks. O’Reilly may have had the most impressive 16 year old season out of the lot… kid looks the part and will rise up ranking quickly.

Reactions: wingerdinger

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I like this group of WHL/USHL players

I like the trio of Lindstrom/Ritchie/Catton from the WHL and I like Connelly and Boisvert from the USHL.

Also keep an eye on Terik Perascak from the WHL. 8 goals and 12 pts in 4 games to start his draft year. Helps he is playing with Heidt, but he can shoot it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad