2024 Draft Thread

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
With 6 picks in the first three rounds (3 in the second), I would offer a couple of the 2nd's and/or 3rd to move up as much as possible. Would rather a top-notch prospect than several good ones. Especially with the cap space and possibly Sarros as additional capital heading into the offseason.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
With 6 picks in the first three rounds (3 in the second), I would offer a couple of the 2nd's and/or 3rd to move up as much as possible. Would rather a top-notch prospect than several good ones. Especially with the cap space and possibly Sarros as additional capital heading into the offseason.
I share this sentiment. We have a deep pipeline of depth players in my opinion. We need to concentrate our picks to grow the upper crust of our prospect pool.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I just don't think you could move up far enough to really make a difference? At least, you couldn't predict in advance that would be the case anyhow. It's not a great draft. I don't think you gain much by moving slightly earlier in the 2nd. Most of those players won't make it either, so you are better off throwing more darts at the board.

But that's in advance. For this draft. You can always keep an eye open to see if somebody you are really high on is falling later than you think he should, maybe there would be a specific case which arises that motivates moving up. But it would have to be on-the-floor.

Trading up #40 and #51 for L'Heureux at #27 is looking good. If there is something like that available it's worth a look, except since we don't have a pick as high as #40 this year, I'm not sure there will be similar opportunity. Trading two 50's picks for a 40ish pick isn't like to land us any "top-notch" type of prospect.

#47 and #147 last year to get Nilsson at #43 also wasn't giving up much, not sure that will amount to anything, but if you like the player and know another team is about to take them, it's also worthwhile if it's just losing a 5th rounder.

Reactions: Soundgarden

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Use those picks as part of package deals in trades. Look to get players that are in the 22-24 year age range that have potential for growth but are NHL ready or close to NHL ready. Or use them as pieces to add to hockey trades for better roster players.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
2 round mock on The Athletic

22: Cole Beaudoin - C
53: Teddy Stiga - LW
55: Leon Muggli, LHD
59: Cole Hutson, LHD

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I do believe that Trotz plans on moving up at the draft. Having depth in your prospect pool is a good thing but if there's a guy you really like say in the low-30's to high-40's, I think he could flip two seconds for a pick at that range.

Beaudoin's offensive upside might be limited but as a player profile, he's intriguing. Assuming there are no evident fallers available at 22, I certainly wouldn't hate it if we drafted him.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
With all of the second round picks we have, I'll be pretty disappointed if the Preds don't walk away from the draft with John Mustard just on name alone, although he is rated as a late 1st by a couple of publications.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
22: Cole Beaudoin - C

53: Teddy Stiga - LW

55: Leon Muggli, LHD

59: Cole Hutson, LHD

Some scouting reports. Both the Cole's sound intriguing. Hutson is another smaller LHD much in the same mould as Molendyk. Sounds like there is a ton of potential there though.

Not overly keen on what I'm reading on the other two

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I mostly just want the team to draft a player who they see as fitting the organization's "identity" blueprint, who they will be inclined to want to support and promote from within, without throwing additional hurdles in their way. It's not that common for players to change style or personality as they develop. Pick guys who you aren't going to end up tossing aside because they don't fit the blueprint you're trying to establish.
:dunno:

Maybe Poile had a different vision than Trotz in some ways, so it wasn't the same for him when selecting Tolvanen, Tomasino, Fabbro as things are now. But it's kind of a shame that we're actually hitting on NHL caliber players with our top picks, and yet still ultimately tossing them aside and ending up with nothing to show for the picks just because they don't fit the mold in some ways.

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
I mostly just want the team to draft a player who they see as fitting the organization's "identity" blueprint, who they will be inclined to want to support and promote from within, without throwing additional hurdles in their way. It's not that common for players to change style or personality as they develop. Pick guys who you aren't going to end up tossing aside because they don't fit the blueprint you're trying to establish.

Maybe Poile had a different vision than Trotz in some ways, so it wasn't the same for him when selecting Tolvanen, Tomasino, Fabbro as things are now. But it's kind of a shame that we're actually hitting on NHL caliber players with our top picks, and yet still ultimately tossing them aside and ending up with nothing to show for the picks just because they don't fit the mold in some ways.

I believe Tolvanen would have been fine in this system. Too bad we didn't hold on to him long enough LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad