2024 Draft Thread

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Ya, all the years we moved back this year of all years seems like the year to do it. All depends on who is there at the pick though.

Love the new size mandate that's clearly being utilized by the new management this year but my goodness drafting Hutson would be exciting.

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Ya, all the years we moved back this year of all years seems like the year to do it. All depends on who is there at the pick though.

Love the new size mandate that's clearly being utilized by the new management this year but my goodness drafting Hutson would be exciting.

Hutson would be a good one. I love his talent and skating.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He is better than Parekh Saginaw spirit dman
Have watched both
I think he gets drafted 15 to 20 range

I dunno about that one. Parekh is a beast with the puck and a record breaking defenseman in the OHL. I know there's some warts to his game but I can see a lot of Makar/Karlsson level upside there.

Reactions: Rude Dog

horner

May 22, 2007
Don't think we have ever had a dman like him very dynamic
Parekh is rated to be drafted 15 th or lower from what I have seen Hutson is better
I wouldn't draft Patekh
Hutson had more jam to his game tougher and skating
Hutson's birthday is June 28th on of the youngest player in the draft , ijust read.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
1715099292967.png

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I'm normally all aboard the trade back train but I'd like to stand pat and nab the single best player we can- plus I think one or all of Liljegren/Jarncrok/Robertson will find new homes to bring back some 2nd-4th rounders

Given us reportedly making a guy like Minten untouchable, I could see Beaudoin being high on the list. Along with Quillan that very quickly starts to build an organizational identity down the middle behind Matthews

Reactions: arso40

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Ranked 23rd here... is Dominik Badinka. 6'3" RD. 2024 NHL Mock Draft | 2024 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

Dominik Badinka's Player ProfileScott Wheeler - The Athletic - March 25th: "He's got size, moves the puck and sees the ice well, likes to carry it and influence play, and plays hard and confidently. He’s a strong skater who takes space on both sides of the puck when it's there."

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - March 12th: "Badinka defends well enough due to his feet and length but he isn't going to run guys over, which leaves some scouts wondering if he's going to be a tweener as a pro. I think his two-way game is strong enough to be a potential No. 4-5 defenseman in the NHL."

Steven Ellis - Daily Faceoff - March 9th: "Badinka has a great frame and solid hockey sense, and he doesn’t crumble under pressure. A defenseman who moves well and doesn’t get flustered with the puck when getting chased will have a good career."​

Dobber - Poised, mobile two-way defenseman with great retrieval and breakout ability. Work on his handling skill and ability to work the blue line could see him become a do-it-all top-four defenseman.

calm right-handed defenseman, he doesn’t panic on retrievals and when starting the breakout under pressure

Draftin Europe 2023

McKeen - 2024 NHL DRAFT: EARLY SEASON FAVOURITES - European Video Scout - Veeti Väisänen, Sebastian Soini, Dominik Badinka, Ondrej Kos

Dominik Badinka - Defence - Malmö Redhawks

6’3, 183lbs - 2005-11-27

I was a little surprised to see Badinka move from Finland to Sweden for his draft season. Likely he was hoping he’d play more games in the SHL than he would in the Liiga had he stayed in Jokerit’s developmental system. Early on in Sweden, Badinka hasn’t looked out of place. He has been one of the highest-scoring defenders in the J20 league in Sweden and has even seen a couple of games up with Malmo in the SHL where he looked good.. The Czech-born defender has definitely impressed me early on in his draft season.

Badinka is a very intelligent defender. He has an advanced understanding of the game that when combined with his decision-making allows Badinka to excel in various aspects of the game. One of these aspects is how he anticipates plays - he positions himself well to block passing lanes in the defensive end where he sees fit. He is able to jump into the rush and act as a 4th forward while at the same time being in position to stop a rush going the other way. His head is always on a swivel and he is always thinking ahead in the game.

Because of his size at 6’3, he can have a positive impact on the game physically. He is excellent in board battles, especially at the J20 level, where he is outright dominant. He just knows how to position his stick and body to have an advantage in physical battles. He never hesitates to engage in battles in front of the net either - he is a physical presence in front of his crease and Badinka uses his body quite effectively to clear the slot. He can over-commit to being physical at times, however, and I have seen it lead to odd man rushes. While it’s a notable component to Badinka’s game, he could learn how to reel it in every once and a while and pick his spots better.

The last thing I’d like to zero in on with Bainka is how well he moves up and down the ice. He is a very mobile defender who is able to use his four-way mobility to great effect on both ends of the ice. Although Badinka seldom activates from his spot at the blue line, when he does he is able to use his skating in a deceptive way by arching his body one way, making the defense think that he is going one way only to make a quick cut around the defender for a better scoring opportunity. As previously stated, he doesn’t do this often but when he does, it is almost poetic and I hope to see more of this in his game moving forward.

Badinka's journey from Finland to Sweden has unveiled a promising and versatile talent on the ice. His intelligence, physicality, and mobility make him an exciting prospect for the 2024 NHL Draft... With his unique skill set and adaptability, Badinka should see himself called early. I think he has the makings of being called in the first round.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm normally all aboard the trade back train but I'd like to stand pat and nab the single best player we can- plus I think one or all of Liljegren/Jarncrok/Robertson will find new homes to bring back some 2nd-4th rounders

Given us reportedly making a guy like Minten untouchable, I could see Beaudoin being high on the list. Along with Quillan that very quickly starts to build an organizational identity down the middle behind Matthews

Beaudoin would be a hell of a pick late in the first. I think he's a safe pick compared to other picks but if he progresses as you'd expect a prospect to do, he could be a hell of a mid-line center. He's strong, physical, compete off the charts and he's got some skill. Skating is a weakness but he wouldn't be a late first if he didn't have some warts. You can draw comparisons to Fred Gauthier if he doesn't improve his areas of weakness, but I think Beaudoin has a lot more aggressiveness in his game to still carve a 3rd/4th line role like Adam Lowry.

Ranked 23rd here... is Dominik Badinka. 6'3" RD. 2024 NHL Mock Draft | 2024 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

Dominik Badinka's Player ProfileScott Wheeler - The Athletic - March 25th: "He's got size, moves the puck and sees the ice well, likes to carry it and influence play, and plays hard and confidently. He’s a strong skater who takes space on both sides of the puck when it's there."​

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - March 12th: "Badinka defends well enough due to his feet and length but he isn't going to run guys over, which leaves some scouts wondering if he's going to be a tweener as a pro. I think his two-way game is strong enough to be a potential No. 4-5 defenseman in the NHL."​

Steven Ellis - Daily Faceoff - March 9th: "Badinka has a great frame and solid hockey sense, and he doesn’t crumble under pressure. A defenseman who moves well and doesn’t get flustered with the puck when getting chased will have a good career."​

Dobber - Poised, mobile two-way defenseman with great retrieval and breakout ability. Work on his handling skill and ability to work the blue line could see him become a do-it-all top-four defenseman.

calm right-handed defenseman, he doesn’t panic on retrievals and when starting the breakout under pressure

Draftin Europe 2023

McKeen - 2024 NHL DRAFT: EARLY SEASON FAVOURITES - European Video Scout - Veeti Väisänen, Sebastian Soini, Dominik Badinka, Ondrej Kos

Dominik Badinka - Defence - Malmö Redhawks

6’3, 183lbs - 2005-11-27

I was a little surprised to see Badinka move from Finland to Sweden for his draft season. Likely he was hoping he’d play more games in the SHL than he would in the Liiga had he stayed in Jokerit’s developmental system. Early on in Sweden, Badinka hasn’t looked out of place. He has been one of the highest-scoring defenders in the J20 league in Sweden and has even seen a couple of games up with Malmo in the SHL where he looked good.. The Czech-born defender has definitely impressed me early on in his draft season.

Badinka is a very intelligent defender. He has an advanced understanding of the game that when combined with his decision-making allows Badinka to excel in various aspects of the game. One of these aspects is how he anticipates plays - he positions himself well to block passing lanes in the defensive end where he sees fit. He is able to jump into the rush and act as a 4th forward while at the same time being in position to stop a rush going the other way. His head is always on a swivel and he is always thinking ahead in the game.

Because of his size at 6’3, he can have a positive impact on the game physically. He is excellent in board battles, especially at the J20 level, where he is outright dominant. He just knows how to position his stick and body to have an advantage in physical battles. He never hesitates to engage in battles in front of the net either - he is a physical presence in front of his crease and Badinka uses his body quite effectively to clear the slot. He can over-commit to being physical at times, however, and I have seen it lead to odd man rushes. While it’s a notable component to Badinka’s game, he could learn how to reel it in every once and a while and pick his spots better.

The last thing I’d like to zero in on with Bainka is how well he moves up and down the ice. He is a very mobile defender who is able to use his four-way mobility to great effect on both ends of the ice. Although Badinka seldom activates from his spot at the blue line, when he does he is able to use his skating in a deceptive way by arching his body one way, making the defense think that he is going one way only to make a quick cut around the defender for a better scoring opportunity. As previously stated, he doesn’t do this often but when he does, it is almost poetic and I hope to see more of this in his game moving forward.

Badinka's journey from Finland to Sweden has unveiled a promising and versatile talent on the ice. His intelligence, physicality, and mobility make him an exciting prospect for the 2024 NHL Draft... With his unique skill set and adaptability, Badinka should see himself called early. I think he has the makings of being called in the first round.

Pretty good read. I don't know him very well but his scouting report stands out. There are some conflicting reports about his physicality and ability offensively but a good skating, strong and intelligent defender all stand out.

Reactions: horner

horner

May 22, 2007
Upside hockey has really good info on the 2024 draft prospect

Daily Faceoff by Steve Ellis has really good right ups on q00 prospects at the U18 tournament

Scion

May 25, 2012
Beaudoin would be a hell of a pick late in the first. I think he's a safe pick compared to other picks but if he progresses as you'd expect a prospect to do, he could be a hell of a mid-line center. He's strong, physical, compete off the charts and he's got some skill. Skating is a weakness but he wouldn't be a late first if he didn't have some warts. You can draw comparisons to Fred Gauthier if he doesn't improve his areas of weakness, but I think Beaudoin has a lot more aggressiveness in his game to still carve a 3rd/4th line role like Adam Lowry.

Pretty good read. I don't know him very well but his scouting report stands out. There are some conflicting reports about his physicality and ability offensively but a good skating, strong and intelligent defender all stand out.
I LOVE Beaudoin, reminds me alot of ROR at the same age actually. I wouldn't bet against that kid developing into a top 6 guy with the way he works. That said, I hope Luchanko falls to our pick, I watched him a ton this year and for my money he was an even better 17 year old than Poitras at the same age.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Hawks winning the lottery would be peak NHL

San Jose Sharks win the Draft Lottery.

The order of selection for the first 16 picks of the first round:

1. San Jose Sharks
2. Chicago Blackhawks
3. Anaheim Ducks
4. Columbus Blue Jackets
5. Montreal Canadiens
6. Utah
7. Ottawa Senators
8. Seattle Kraken
9. Calgary Flames
10. New Jersey Devils
11. Buffalo Sabres
12. Philadelphia Flyers
13. Minnesota Wild
14. San Jose Sharks (from Pittsburgh)
15. Detroit Red Wings
16. St. Louis Blues

The NHL draft will be held at The Sphere in Las Vegas on June 28-29. It marks the first time the draft will be held in Las Vegas and the first event televised live from The Sphere

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Too Bad

That article should reads Leaf surging up the draft list to draft Tij Iginila ( HHOF son Jerome).

Capping off a momentous second half of the season by scoring Canada’s gold medal-winning goal at the U18 World Championship in Finland, Tij Iginla may have played his way out of reach of the organization his father became a Hall of Famer with.

Entering the tourney ranked just inside the top-10 by many draft experts, his three points in the final, gave Jarome’s son six goals and six assists in seven games against many of the world’s
best 18-year-olds at W-U18's. Coupled with a season that saw him score 47 regular-season goals with the Kelowna Rockets (and nine more in 11 playoff games), the 17-year-old winger may now have moved well ahead of where the Flames pick.

As someone that had the pleasure of watching many times Tij Iginila play in person for my Kelowna Rockets this year.
Leafs trade Mitch Marner at the entry draft for a package of picks and players to Utah and with the 6th overall pick the Leafs select Tij Iginla.
:hockey:

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
The descriptions I hear of Beaudoin reminds me of Rod Brind'Amour in his work ethic and physique, and if we lucked out with getting a workhorse like Brind'Amour at #23 sign me up, even tho I think we need to focus on finding some more talented defensemen in the prospects pipeline

Reactions: aingefan

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Doesn’t seem like a reach to think that either Luchanko or Beaudoin could develop into #2c’s.
Draft is gonna be fun times.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
A name to watch in this OSH vs LON series is defencemen Luca Marrelli.

He's had a strong playoffs and is currently ranked as a top 45 talent by elite prospects.

6'2, RHD, who does a bit of everything.

If he has a strong series in the OHL championship, his stock will most likely rise quite a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad