2024 NHL Draft: Play with no weenie, for Celebrini

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
What do you like about him? Why is he your clear cut #2?
Physical presence. Very offense oriented. Good decision making. Good skating. Nice shot and playmaking skills. He always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. Was the best player on a damn good Michigan State team.

He reminds me of the non-broken Dumba with less turnovers and less defensive mistakes.

Reactions: Sweetnut

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I'm wondering if Parekh drops. Unlike Buium, he has a slight frame, and i think a lot of GM's will have doubts that he can replicate what he has done in the OHL in pro hockey. I would like to take a chance on him, and possibly Sennecke, who will take quite a while to mature, but might end up being a top 6 W.

If Catton or Helenius is there and he doesn't take him i will be pissed, unless there is someone else really good who hasn't been picked. They both reek of hockey sense.

I think Yakemchuk will be gone. Too much to like in that package.

If it comes down to Catton and Parekh(unlikely), I would probably go Catton, but with Parekh you could hit a HR.
Pretty much ditto

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
This guy seems to be a Guerin guy. Can see him getting picked in the 2nd, or certainly 4th round, if he is still there.

Sam O'Reilly isn't flashy, but is one of the most appreciated skaters for the way he goes about his business with London of the Ontario Hockey League.
It stems from the fact the 17-year-old right-shot center has a defensive mindset whenever he steps on the ice.
"I think playing defense growing up my whole life helped me kind of ease into playing center this year, so I think that playing center is more of a defensive-type situation," O'Reilly said. "Last year (in five games with London) I played wing and this year they started me off at center and I've been there since, so it's been good."
O'Reilly only made the adjustment to forward three years ago, moving from defenseman to right wing while playing in the Greater Toronto Hockey League.
"You can see he was a defenseman because of his instincts and how smart he is down low in his own end," said Nick Smith of NHL Central Scouting.
O'Reilly is benefiting from that experience as a rookie for London.
"If you look at the history of 17-year-old players who have earned the trust of (London coach) Dale Hunter and assistant coach Rick Steadman to play on the penalty kill, you have guys like Robert Thomas (St. Louis Blues), Bo Horvat (New York Islanders) and Luke Evangelista (Nashville Predators) who were able to figure out what Dale wanted defensively," London associate general manager Rob Simpson said. "They ended up playing sooner rather than later because at the NHL level, the defensive side of the puck is so important to be able to make it there to help your team win."
O'Reilly even played a few shifts at defenseman as a 16-year-old for London during part of his five-game stint in 2022-23.
"He's the main reason why we really didn't do that much at the OHL trade deadline (in January) because we felt he was ready to step in and play a key role in our top nine forwards," Simpson said. "The nice thing that Sam brings is he's a little bit of a throwback to me because he does a lot of little things on the ice that are hard to find. He drives the net extremely hard, can tip pucks, screen goalies. He's physical all over the ice and he can play a 200-foot game."
Sam_OReilly_1

© London Knights (OHL)
O'Reilly (6-foot-1, 186 pounds), No. 40 on NHL Central Scouting's midterm ranking of North American skaters eligible for the 2024 NHL Draft, is a big fan of NHL players with an ability to get under the skin of opposing players.
"I like watching Matthew Tkachuk and Nazem Kadri for the way they play ... kind of a hard-nosed game and getting up in the face of an opponent," he said.
The Toronto native, who will turn 18 on March 30, ranks third among OHL rookies with 52 points (18 goals, 34 assists) and is tied for first with three short-handed points (two goals) in 64 games. He has 150 shots on goal and has won 48.8 percent of hs face-offs (336 for 689).
London defenseman Sam Dickinson, who is No. 7 on Central Scouting's midterm list of North American skaters, said he appreciates what O'Reilly brings to the lineup.
"I think the big thing with Sam is his work ethic," Dickinson said. "The progression that he's had from last year to this year has been unbelievable. Everybody knew last year that he was going to be something special and he's been a really big piece to our team.
"He does things that not a lot of guys want to do, like going to the net, playing hard in the tough areas, and being a reliable defensive forward. It's little things like that that have kind of separated him."
O'Reilly said he understands the importance of playing a power-forward type game, since most goals are scored in the slot or tough areas of the ice.
"I have to play hard to make it to the next level," he said. "I was told that at a young age and it's kind of stuck with me as the years have gone by. I think if you play soft, you're not going to make it to the next level and move up in leagues. Playing a hard-nosed game is a big thing for scouts and for teams to see."

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Sennecke is tempting as hell. He is obviously a work in progress, but has great hands, and really good size once he fills out a bit. His skating is a bit clumsy, but again, i think that will be fixed with time, working on technique, and strength. Still isn't bad, though. He will need at least two years. One in the OHL, another in the AHL, before he is ready.

The hands and moves are all there. In some ways he play like a little, shifty guy, but he is at least 6'2" (looks taller than Ritchie, to me. Mckeen's has him at 6'3"), and will probably end up 6'4", as he appears to be less on the mature side physically. Apparently he has grown 5" in the past two years... that's a lot.

Lotta upside. Maybe a taller, less polished Boldy, with potentially better speed?
He’s one of the harder evaluations for me. Size and skill combination is so intriguing. Building off the Boldy comp, I think he’s a faster player, but is not as elusive of a skater. Sennecke’s shot is not quite as good either. I think they both had inconsistencies in terms of compete and habits as a draft eligible, but for me the real differentiator is that I always viewed Boldy’s offensive instincts in much higher regard than Sennecke’s. I think Sennekce could be a top 6 point producing winger if he hits, but I don’t think his overall upside is particularly close to Boldy’s.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I'd probably be fine with him ~20, but I disagree that it's not a position of need. I have RD as #2 behind W.
One of the lefties can play off-hand (I believe Hunt has done so), you also have Spacek (which some are still high on), Spurgeon is still signed until God knows when, and finally you have Healey (who they are high on), and Masters.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
One of the lefties can play off-hand (I believe Hunt has done so), you also have Spacek (which some are still high on), Spurgeon is still signed until God knows when, and finally you have Healey (who they are high on), and Masters.
Spurgeon is signed for 3 more years (expires when a 2024 draftee would be ~21 years old), and I'm not particularly high on Spacek or Masters. I am on Healey, though, to the point that I think he could be a 3rd pair guy. Still missing somebody on the 2nd pair going forward, and I don't think Hunt is it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He’s one of the harder evaluations for me. Size and skill combination is so intriguing. Building off the Boldy comp, I think he’s a faster player, but is not as elusive of a skater. Sennecke’s shot is not quite as good either. I think they both had inconsistencies in terms of compete and habits as a draft eligible, but for me the real differentiator is that I always viewed Boldy’s offensive instincts in much higher regard than Sennecke’s. I think Sennekce could be a top 6 point producing winger if he hits, but I don’t think his overall upside is particularly close to Boldy’s.
oh, yeah, but i rate Boldy really highly. He was much more polished with his puck skills, partly because he went through the UNDP with a super talented offensive group. The thing with Sennecke is that he isn't even close to being a finished item, which is part of the risk with him. You'd want to dig into his character and make sure that he smart, and driven to improve. I can see him being a cross between Alec Tuch and Boldy.

Does anyone else not want Jiricek? Like not a position of need at all and getting a winger would be better.
My problem with him is not his position, but his almost complete lack of playing time due to injury. Another big RHD is never a problem. If you pick him at #13 you are projecting him to be a top 4 guy. Players like Masters, Healey, and Spacek are long shots to be any kind of NHL'ers.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Wabit

May 23, 2016

I have RD is the 2nd biggest need behind center (ideally a RHS). A quality LD is a need too, MN is rolling in quantity there already though.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Since we're ranking prospects this is my board at this point

1. Macklin Celebrini

2. Ivan Demidov

3. Artyom Levshunov
4. Zeev Buium
5. Sam Dickinson
6. Berkly Catton
7. Konsta Helenius
8. Tij Iginla
9. Cayden Lindstrom
10. Carter Yakemchuk
11. Anton Silayev

12. Liam Greentree
13. Cole Eiserman
14. Zayne Parekh
15. Beckett Sennecke
16. Michael Brandsegg-Nygard
17. Nikita Artamonov
18. Igor Chernyshov

19. Michael Hage
20. Sacha Boisvert
21. Andrew Basha
22. Julius Miettinen
23. Terik Parascak
24. Ryder Ritchie
25. Yegor Surin

Based on players considered for this list the next tier would be around 30 players and close to 50/50 on F/D. I don't feel another D deserves separation from the next dozen or so. Hoping for a top-11 player at 13.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Getting through watching some USHL tape tonight. Too bad Connelly is a d bag. I’m not a Michael Hage guy. Late first for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad