2024 NHL Draft Thread (CBJ to pick 4th)

Predict CBJ's draft position

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I also wouldn't be surprised to see his offensive game pick up over the next two years. Remember, this was a 17 year old KID playing 14-18 minutes/night IN THE KHL. The same KHL that Marchenko was getting like 6 minutes/night(yes I know Marchenko played on a better team) but the point I'm trying to make is I'm sure he's only going to become more and more confident of himself as he settles in and realizes what he's capable of.
Has he at any point of his career showed offensive potential outside shooting like a 6'7'' guy? From what I can find he hasn't scored much in MHL, u16 nor u17. Those are all games where he should have a huge physical advantage with his frame. If he hasn't at any point produced in junior level or internationals (which have also been vs weak countries due to the war), then it's a long shot to predict he'll do it in two years just because then he's old.

Pre-draft Marchenko had produced well in MHL and top tier international games. It's not really comparable on my paper.

But as I've said here before, I haven't watched nearly enough of games this year to actually judge Silayev one way or another. I just have a general distaste for teams drafting shutdown Dmen on 1st round. It's been going for so long that I just can't help it

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Well.... for the first time in a long while, maybe ever?...I don't think we'll have too much to gripe about whomever we pick at #4. There is a lot to like about a lot of players and while we all have our favorites I haven't seen a strong sentiment of "don't draft this guy whatever we do" on the boards. That's progress for this group :D

I'm very interested to see who the GM is, how he handles the scouting staff (particularly this year given there won't be a lot of time between naming a GM and the draft), and his first moves within the organization (Coach, trades, etc.). That's going to tell a lot about the direction of this team. I personally don't think that impacts #4 very much unless we have a real aggressive GM that thinks they can move enough players to remake this team and use the #4 to add a core building block with NHL experience. I don't see it but never say never.

There is a lot to view on the current roster and then play it out 2-3 years...5-7 years... that almost has to happen immediately and the #4 is a piece you expect to be part of the 5-7 year plan. I tend to lean center, all things being as equal as they can be, but there are several I like at the top of this draft that I will not complain about. I've seen where Demidov is thought to be a future center and has the skill set. If that is remotely true and he's not just an experiment... I think he jumps to the top for me. HOwever, I still add Levshunov and Lindstrom to that as my top 3, followed by Salayev. I'd really be OK with any of the 4 options, but more interested to see how the new GM feels the rest of the roster looks moving forward. I think rounds 2-7 will be part of the view for that. Those picks really seem interesting to me, not just for who, but what type of player they bring in. Might say more about the GM direction and how he views our current stockpile (ie. who do we move that we replace with a new piece in the pipeline for a different direction)

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Current guess:

San Jose - Celebrini
Chicago - Demidov
Ducks - Levshunov
Jackets - Lindstrom
Montreal - Iginla
Utah Yetis - Catton
Sens - Silayev
Seattle - Biuim
Flames - Helenius
Devils - Sennecke
Buffalo - Yakemchuk
Flyers - Dickinson
Wild - Parekh
Sharks - Eiserman
Detroit - Greentree
Blues - Jiricek

I would love Utah to draft Silayev and pair him with Maveric Lamoureux, but they drafted Simashev last year.

GoChill

Apr 19, 2007
I should just say draft whoever we think is most likely to stay healthy in an NHL season!

Upon watching the playoffs particularly Fla v Bos and NYR v Carolina and then looking at our prospect pool I truly hope whoever we draft has a height that begins with a 6. The playoffs which I hope to see us in one day is looking like some serious big boy hockey. I imagine Bean and Boqvist have received injuries just watching it on TV.

When I look at our prospect pool Brindley, Malatesta, Dumais, Whitecloud are all 5'9" or smaller and Mateychuk is 5'10" which is small for a defenseman in the playoffs. We already have Gaudreau and Danforth on the roster. Additionally, even at 6'1" KJ is kind of slight of build. Laine is 6'5" but doesn't seem very physical. You can have 1 or 2 small guys and Danforth may be gone when we are ready for the playoffs but it is generally a smallish prospect pool. So I hope the Jackets get bigger.

I'm thinking if it's D Levshunov, Silayev, Dickinson or Yakemchuk.
If it is a forward Cayden Lindstrom. He sounds like he could be great but might go against the pick the healthiest guy mantra. The injured wrist probably isn't a long term concern but the back injury worries me. Backs are tricky things and I worry about a guy with back problems as a teenager. Hopefully, just a one time thing.

GoChill

Apr 19, 2007
I’m not a fan of using number 4 for a stay at home defenseman either but given we have Werenski and Boqvist plus 7 more years of Severson who is supposed to have offense. Additionally Jiricek is supposed to bring offense and Mateychuk can definitely play offense. Given all that I would be okay with a 6’7” guy that can really skate even if he only brings so so offense. At some point we have to stop giving up so many goals.

Reactions: Fred Glover

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I was surprised Silayev was still a getting top 5 ranking in Bob's latest poll.

If anyone can spot what makes him a top 5 pick in these videos, please let me know.

Keep in mind this is Silayev back to the MHL (junior) level for the playoffs. This isn't vs pros.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Yeah the more I have watched on Silayev the less I am a fan of picking him at 4. Great skater for his size and a good defender, but picking that high you need more than that.

In the unlikely scenario we trade back, fine, I can pick him, but not at 4.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
If anyone can spot what makes him a top 5 pick in these videos, please let me know.

Keep in mind this is Silayev back to the MHL (junior) level for the playoffs. This isn't vs pros.

The same thing that made Logan Stanley a #18 pick

(and he's a good skater, but the reality is that if he was 6'1''/6'2'' with same skills and stats, he'd be maybe a late 1st or 2nd round pick)

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I was surprised Silayev was still a getting top 5 ranking in Bob's latest poll.

To me he kind of reminds me of Ryan Murray, a 6'7 two way defender who can make some good clean passes. He's not super flashy, but 98% of the time he makes the right simple play, it's when he starts to try to do too much that he gets in trouble. I watched that first video from the start, he had a few flubs, most of which came about from doing too much. That first goal wasn't his fault, but he could've played that second goal he was on the ice for better.

But what I did see was a lot of him playing positionally sound, simple hockey. Quick chips, making the easy play moving the puck to the headman to keep it moving forward. From all accounts he was very similar in the KHL.

Maybe he's not top 5 pick worthy, but I could see him slotting straight into the lineup once his contract expires. Probably will spend his first season eating minutes in Cleveland before solidifying himself in the NHL. At which point he'd still only be 20/21.

I think with him the top 5 part comes from what scouts and GMs think they can work on his game.

He's 6'7 who is a great skater with an great defensive minded hockey IQ. If you can work on him just keeping his play simple and be that first pass defenseman, not the one who's being the counted on to drive play up the ice, then he could be a rock for the defense to build around for the next decade+

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
double-dipping in the comments here – not a silayev guy but pronman wrote a profile on him today that had some interesting notes/quotes.
  1. back in september, a scouting director told pronman that silayev "could be victor hedman"
  2. another scouting director said he went "back and forth on him and celebrini a lot"
  3. larionov (silayev's current HC) said he's a better skater than hedman and was their best defenseman in the KHL playoffs
  4. another NHL exec compared him to hedman, chara and pronger
  5. pronman said he's a "meaner version of simon edvinsson"
  6. silayev has had a bunch of interviews with NHL teams and plans to come to dev camp this summer wherever he's drafted
these types of profiles are overly complimentary by their nature (the eiserman one had a bunch of quotes from his coaches saying "his off puck game is actually good, we swear!" for example) but some execs clearly love the guy.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
double-dipping in the comments here – not a silayev guy but pronman wrote a profile on him today that had some interesting notes/quotes.
  1. back in september, a scouting director told pronman that silayev "could be victor hedman"
  2. another scouting director said he went "back and forth on him and celebrini a lot"
  3. larionov (silayev's current HC) said he's a better skater than hedman and was their best defenseman in the KHL playoffs
  6. silayev has had a bunch of interviews with NHL teams and plans to come to dev camp this summer wherever he's drafted
these types of profiles are overly complimentary by their nature (the eiserman one had a bunch of quotes from his coaches saying "his off puck game is actually good, we swear!" for example) but some execs clearly love the guy.
I can't make the connection to guys like Hedman simply because he really hasn't shown any offensive major offensive production. But when you look at his individual abilities to skate, stick handle, his passing and his shot, you can see those individual tools are there. I'm sure there's a ton of GMs, scouts and coaches who are thinking "if we can just help guy put this all together". A lot of those skills can be worked on, the hardest of which is teaching a 6'7 giant to skate, and not just skate well but to be an efficient, powerful skater, which he's already got down.

But we've seen how that can workout. I would say he's easily the biggest boom/bust potential top 5 pick. That being said, even if he "busts" you still likely have a top 4 defensive minded minute muncher.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
To me he kind of reminds me of Ryan Murray, a 6'7 two way defender who can make some good clean passes. He's not super flashy, but 98% of the time he makes the right simple play, it's when he starts to try to do too much that he gets in trouble. I watched that first video from the start, he had a few flubs, most of which came about from doing too much. That first goal wasn't his fault, but he could've played that second goal he was on the ice for better.

But what I did see was a lot of him playing positionally sound, simple hockey. Quick chips, making the easy play moving the puck to the headman to keep it moving forward. From all accounts he was very similar in the KHL.

Maybe he's not top 5 pick worthy, but I could see him slotting straight into the lineup once his contract expires. Probably will spend his first season eating minutes in Cleveland before solidifying himself in the NHL. At which point he'd still only be 20/21.

I think with him the top 5 part comes from what scouts and GMs think they can work on his game.

He's 6'7 who is a great skater with an great defensive minded hockey IQ. If you can work on him just keeping his play simple and be that first pass defenseman, not the one who's being the counted on to drive play up the ice, then he could be a rock for the defense to build around for the next decade+

Ryan Murray? Murray was a very good passer. Silayev seems average at best in that regard, maybe below that.

Silayev does not make the right play 98% of the time, not even 85% of the time. He's going to be a good shutdown D. Yes he'll keep it simple, but very simple.

Pronger and Hedman had advanced offensive games and so far Silayev has none, so I really don't understand that comparison. Pronger and Hedman weren't just big guys that figured it out, they had great skills from the beginning. I'm confused by these scouts.

Chara was a big guy who figured it out, and got amazing. That's what you hope for from Silayev but it feels like a longshot.

But we've seen how that can workout. I would say he's easily the biggest boom/bust potential top 5 pick. That being said, even if he "busts" you still likely have a top 4 defensive minded minute muncher.

I think closer to the opposite - Silayev is a safe pick with only a glimmer of high upside.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm hoping we don't pick Levshunov.

I lost count of the number of sloppy passes he made in this game - three feet off or just shoveling knuckle pucks at his teammates.

It's often been mentioned how he'll just let his forwards play D for him all shift, but you also have him blowing the zone before his team has full control of the puck. And then where is he going at 5:32 of the video? The entire Michigan team is behind him about to score.

This is a playoff game.

GoChill

Apr 19, 2007
By all accounts Sam Dickinson would be a really safe pick. Scouts say for his size he is not real physical.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Eiserman. He is one player I have gotten to view a number of times in this years and last years U18's. That said he can score goals and if you are only good at one thing that's a pretty good thing to be good at.

GoChill

Apr 19, 2007
I'm hoping we don't pick Levshunov.

I lost count of the number of sloppy passes he made in this game - three feet off or just shoveling knuckle pucks at his teammates.

It's often been mentioned how he'll just let his forwards play D for him all shift, but you also have him blowing the zone before his team has full control of the puck. And then where is he going at 5:32 of the video? The entire Michigan team is behind him about to score.

This is a playoff game.

I've read so many good things about Levshunov that I was pretty high on him. That said the only times I got to watch him were in the Big10 tournament and the Frozen Four. Like you I was not too impressed with him in those viewings.

Btw, I haven't gotten to see Silayev or Lidstrom play at all.

I guess I have to go by the scouts who have seen these guys alot more times than me.

Frostybrew

May 20, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
By all accounts Sam Dickinson would be a really safe pick. Scouts say for his size he is not real physical.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Eiserman. He is one player I have gotten to view a number of times in this years and last years U18's. That said he can score goals and if you are only good at one thing that's a pretty good thing to be good at.

Dickinson is one of the top skaters in the draft class and has a cannon of a shot.

Eiserman is a goal scorer probably the best in the class something we most definitely need.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
After seeing Eiserman’s numbers I was a bit surprised he wasn’t ranked higher. That said, he reminds me a bit of the discussions around Oliver Wahlstrom in his draft year.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Eiserman is a one trick pony. Sure, great trick but that would be an awful pick at 4 for Columbus. He's got bust written all over him. Center or Defenseman... higher value positions and better options this draft. Especially at 4

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm in a GM game right now and playing as New Jersey. I considered Eiserman with my 10OA pick there and decided not worth the reach even then with their stacked org. Definitely wouldn't reach for him at 4OA.

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard is going to be the perfect linemate for Jack Hughes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad