Votes: 11 3.2%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 55 16.1%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 18 5.3%

• Total voters

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008

Thank you! I hadn't seen games 3-4 but they were much better.

The second half of game 3 especially was his best play of the series even though it end up being his only scoreless game.

From 57:00 it starts with a nice power move with speed for a break, another big scoring opportunity at 57:25, good strength through a hipcheck at 59:45 and battle to get the puck back, more handling through contact/traffic at speed at 103:18 and 103:40, another nice rush chance at 104:35, chance at 107:18.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

skidcells

May 11, 2023
Playoff is key for me. Right now, after Celebrini, for me it's between Demidov and Iginla. Catton and Lindstrom behind.
I do think baby iggy is playing himself into the convo about being 3rd best forward. Lindstrom offers the unique size package that will always keep him in the convo.

Iggy is so young and the progression he has showed really makes you salivate at the potential

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I guess that,s why we saw to never fall in love with prospects....next top 15...I will have Iginla....top 3. Celebrini, Demidov, Iginla.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I think Iginla will be there when we draft for sure, don’t need to think about it too much. But i don’t think Grant’s wrong, Sennecke will go way higher than some think. A 6’2 winger with tons of skills who’s on an upward trajectory? yep, scouts like that.
I’d get it if he was a late birthday but he turned 18 in January. There’s a limit to how much he’ll rise.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I don't know who he claims to be connected to but I'm sure you are aware he's related to 2 former NHL GM/Head Coach so of course that means he's going to have connections. He had the head of McKeens call me to pitch working for them so he clearly has some connections through that plus the Timmins connection and he knows a lot of others like Bobby Mac, etc..

This is my point and I have to be careful about what I share here as I did not want to bring family into it and don't want to throw his detractors under the bus but he is riding the coat tails of qualified individuals but he is a simple man who is bereft of talent and is viewed as such by other scouts.

McKeen's is a joke and is entirely without credibility, much in the same way that Grant is. Hockey is full of simple men who do not know that they are simple and Grant along with most of these fake scouting services are just failures who are pooling their collective ineptitude in a vain attempt to make a living in a field that has largely disqualified them.

You have to ask yourself, with the early advantages that Grant had....why do NHL teams want nothing to do with him? Why would Timmins only hire him as a part time local consultant in the Ottawa area? Why did Timmins let him go after only two years, this is a friend of his?

Nepotism gave him some ins but he was so overtly incompetent that he was short lived in any opportunity. He used his past connections to create an online persona that mislead people into thinking that he was a real scout and every time he opens his mouth on Marinaro's dummy show he just embarrasses himself with his lack of knowledge and expertise. I have spoke to current and former NHL scouts and I have spoke to the top agents in the game (not Hughes unfortunately) as well as many ex players and a handful of current ones and I can assure you that Grant is a clown shoe by comparison and it is absolutely no mystery as to why he could not get hired as a full time scout for more than just his inability to scout.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I’d get it if he was a late birthday but he turned 18 in January. There’s a limit to how much he’ll rise.
He's one of those tall kids with tools who grew a few inches in the last year and is just starting to figure it out now. They're raving about his recent play in Oshawa. Apparently he played hurt during the first half and he's up to 6ft3 now. Lots of raw upside.

Reactions: le_sean

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He's one of those tall kids with tools who grew a few inches in the last year and is just starting to figure it out now. They're raving about his recent play in Oshawa. Apparently he played hurt during the first half and he's up to 6ft3 now. Lots of raw upside.
I’ve seen crazier things I guess (ie Wheeler, Chinakhov). He is an intriguing player. The growth spurt he had is insane.

His skating is awkward, he must be getting used to his long legs. If someone really thinks they can fix his mechanics, there’s a special player waiting.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I’ve seen crazier things I guess (ie Wheeler, Chinakhov). He is an intriguing player. The growth spurt he had is insane.

His skating is awkward, he must be getting used to his long legs. If someone really thinks they can fix his mechanics, there’s a special player waiting.
I really liked his play in the CHL top prospects game. Can stickhandle in a phone booth. Been following him closer since then.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
It was said by the Bruins director of scouting who drafted him. He knew him more than anyone.

He got knocked off the puck a lot as a rookie. Bulked up in the gym the next season.

He was clearly exaggerating as he was wrong in saying this. It is not possible to put on much muscle in such a short span of time. I would need to see a link to even believe this, which is not to suggest that you are being dishonest but to look for context that may have been missed. Obviously all players of average to below average size are very weak relative to NHL players but I have a hard time buying that Pastrnak was weaker than his peers.

Having been around hockey my entire life I know how the bravado works and I know how many of them love their idiomatic phrases and mottos/slogans that they insist on sharing ad nauseam. I think you have been around it as well if my memory serves me correct and surely you would admit that these types tend to share such truisms and hyperbolic statements with such cavalier indifference that it is hard to distinguish the line between objectivity and subjectivity or simply just the pressing need to make their story more interesting.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
He's a first ballot Hall of Famer. Would you take him at #6 overall this June? That's how all this started.

Geezaz...he has outscored our top forward almost every season throughout his Hall of Fame career.

like i said hes a super dominant player. I think im in the minority that I believe the league only has a few superstars at one time and a bunch of all star calibre players. Erik Karlsson was one such superstar back in the day that could actually take a game over. Another example was Carey Price during the same era. All I said is hes not very good defensively. I will even go as far as saying I prefer a D that gets half his points but can shutdown any forward/line in the NHL

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
He was clearly exaggerating as he was wrong in saying this. It is not possible to put on much muscle in such a short span of time. I would need to see a link to even believe this, which is not to suggest that you are being dishonest but to look for context that may have been missed. Obviously all players of average to below average size are very weak relative to NHL players but I have a hard time buying that Pastrnak was weaker than his peers.

Having been around hockey my entire life I know how the bravado works and I know how many of them love their idiomatic phrases and mottos/slogans that they insist on sharing ad nauseam. I think you have been around it as well if my memory serves me correct and surely you would admit that these types tend to share such truisms and hyperbolic statements with such cavalier indifference that it is hard to distinguish the line between objectivity and subjectivity or simply just

Thank you for the lesson in hockey culture. lol

Idioms aside, the coaches and scouts paint a different picture than what you gathered.

I’ll leave a couple snippets, but you’re on your own if you want to learn more about Pasta’s development.

BTW .. he actually said “breathed on him”.
1712537198555.jpeg

1712537803664.jpeg

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Do you think Montreal would select Sennecke?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Thank you for the lesson in hockey culture. lol

Idioms aside, the coaches and scouts paint a different picture than what you gathered.

I’ll leave a couple snippets, but you’re on your own if you want to learn more about Pasta’s development.

BTW .. he actually said “breathed on him”.
View attachment 847869

View attachment 847880

Once again this is just hyperbolic silliness and was not related in any way to the discussion of Pastrnak pre-draft as of course he was getting knocked around as an 18 year old in the NHL.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Who is big in the Habs future top 6? Slafkovsky and Dach? Dach can’t even play an entire season without getting hurt, so before saying we have enough size, he needs to show he has enough grit because freak injuries or not, it always happens.
Good point about the injury, but with a healthy Dach they’ll have 3 players in the top over 210 lbs. That’s rare.

Colorado also had 3, barely, and the weight of their top 6 (cup team) would equal the Habs’ with Catton added at his current weight. Just a few pounds from stL and Vegas cup teams.

All that means is that they don’t have to shy away from a player they like because of size IF he checks the other boxes.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
"Trading back/down" in round 1 is not an NHL thing. NFL and NBA teams do it.
Rarely are 1st round picks traded at all on draft day. Used to happen but not often now. Lou traded the 13th for Romanov. Which makes the draft boring now. It would be great to get another pick in the top 10-12 but the cost would be prohibitive.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
NO to trading back. We've got so many picks next couple of years and already a stable full of decent prospects, should be trading up with the Winnipeg pick if anything as we won't be able to sign everyone as is and we need to add best prospects possible.

Reactions: Rozz and Toene

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Rarely are 1st round picks traded at all on draft day. Used to happen but not often now. Lou traded the 13th for Romanov. Which makes the draft boring now. It would be great to get another pick in the top 10-12 but the cost would be prohibitive.
It was also Lou who traded the 9th overall pick for Cory Schneider. I think that was also on draft day.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Do we need more assets, or higher quality assets?

I’d trade a shit ton of picks for getting the first OV and end all of this.

Big agree. Quantity is useful in specific circumstances, but Habs' issue is quality at this point (especially at forward position).
This is my point and I have to be careful about what I share here as I did not want to bring family into it and don't want to throw his detractors under the bus but he is riding the coat tails of qualified individuals but he is a simple man who is bereft of talent and is viewed as such by other scouts.

McKeen's is a joke and is entirely without credibility, much in the same way that Grant is. Hockey is full of simple men who do not know that they are simple and Grant along with most of these fake scouting services are just failures who are pooling their collective ineptitude in a vain attempt to make a living in a field that has largely disqualified them.

You have to ask yourself, with the early advantages that Grant had....why do NHL teams want nothing to do with him? Why would Timmins only hire him as a part time local consultant in the Ottawa area? Why did Timmins let him go after only two years, this is a friend of his?

Nepotism gave him some ins but he was so overtly incompetent that he was short lived in any opportunity. He used his past connections to create an online persona that mislead people into thinking that he was a real scout and every time he opens his mouth on Marinaro's dummy show he just embarrasses himself with his lack of knowledge and expertise. I have spoke to current and former NHL scouts and I have spoke to the top agents in the game (not Hughes unfortunately) as well as many ex players and a handful of current ones and I can assure you that Grant is a clown shoe by comparison and it is absolutely no mystery as to why he could not get hired as a full time scout for more than just his inability to scout.

Oof. If I had to give a scouting profile of McCagg:

-Methodology is basic; approach to lists seems entirely trend/word of mouth based
-Provides generic information that offers little insight on individual players' standout traits
-Not entertaining to listen to
-When facing disagreement, will use whataboutism; when someone dials in on why they disagree, McCagg will pull in on himself physically while providing a snarky, passive aggressive remark
-Makes sure his host on show has little scouting knowledge, has a great softball and carries zero willingness to pushback or provide thought provoking question

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad