Votes: 55 16.2%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 18 5.3%

• Total voters

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Very good comparable. Perry is another one.

Reinbacher better be a top pairing or it us a miss of a pick.

Mailloux is most definitely a 2nd pairing and himself could surprise some people as a top pair guy. I'm big on him.

It's very possible the Habs have a Need/BPA strategy in terms of who we pick.

One thing to note is we went after skating/size and hot trending picks with both Slaf and Reinbacher. Whoever we pick, I think we have the same strategy. To me, that looks like Tij Iginla in this draft.

Both Slaf and Reinbacher had this on their resume:
* Hot trending player
* Size/weight
* Skating is very good
* Compete level is very good

Are fans going to go insane if we pass on both Demidov and Lindstrom and take Iggy? Would kind of remind me of passing on Wright/Michkov and taking Slaf/Reinbacher right?

Reinbacher to me is our Lindholm pick the Ducks made in 2013. Doubt he puts up 40+ pts as a D man but he's just going to be good all around. Someone you can ride 25 min a game and makes the coaches job easy

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
All the mocks giving us Demidov seems to me like people who wants to please Habs fans.....'cause frankly no matter how you look at it Demidov is the only sure bet up front available. Lindstrom has his shortcomings and his injuries. Iginla, could very well be unable to be a top 6 player. Catton might very well be too small. And Sennecke might very well be....Sennecke. Late riser...that could go either way.

Again, another year of hopefuls.....it's just pisses me off frankly. When you look at it, it's on D that there's a better radio of quality/safest prospect. Whether it's Levshunov, Dickinson, Buium. That,s as safe yet quality players right there. Then, you have to acknowledge Parekh's year. If you acknoweldge Catton...how can you not acknowledge him.....

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
It's very possible the Habs have a Need/BPA strategy in terms of who we pick.

One thing to note is we went after skating/size and hot trending picks with both Slaf and Reinbacher. Whoever we pick, I think we have the same strategy.

Both Slaf and Reinbacher had this on their resume:
* Hot trending player
* Size/weight
* Skating is very good
* Compete level is very good
The day that we are aiming at a forward mostly is the day you can't say we're going BPA. That's just the opposite. It,s all about the intention not the pick in itself. Yes, it's possible that in their eyes Iginla is the BPA. Sure. Let's hope he is. I have him insanely high too. But the whole BPA/need is NOT who they pick. It,s the goal before. It's the intention.

It,s the ''if he would have been a left d-man, chances are we wouldn't pick him''. And this year it's the ''we are filled with great players on left D, we are clearly missing top end forwards, so we're mostly looking at them''.

That WAS and ALWAYS IS my take on the famous BPA/Need debate. I also know it's all about projection. Still...why wouldn't Catton project well? Isn,t Brayden Point an exemple of why Catton would? Why wouldn't Parekh project well? Isn't there enough offensive d-men that might not be that liable defensively?

As far as Sennecke being a late riser....people don't question the fact that even offensively, the gap between this year and last year isn't that big. Let say....compared to Parekh or Catton?

So in the end, it's not bad enough to go Forwards solely...we are also going BIG forwards? I guess I should be happy we don't go NASTY big forwards like Ottawa did with Boucher....we might have been interested in Carson Wetsch with our No5....

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The day that we are aiming at a forward mostly is the day you can't say we're going BPA. That's just the opposite. It,s all about the intention not the pick in itself. Yes, it's possible that in their eyes Iginla is the BPA. Sure. Let's hope he is. I have him insanely high too. But the whole BPA/need is NOT who they pick. It,s the goal before. It's the intention.

It,s the ''if he would have been a left d-man, chances are we wouldn't pick him''. And this year it's the ''we are filled with great players on left D, we are clearly missing top end forwards, so we're mostly looking at them''.

That WAS and ALWAYS IS my take on the famous BPA/Need debate. I also know it's all about projection. Still...why wouldn't Catton project well? Isn,t Brayden Point an exemple of why Catton would? Why wouldn't Parekh project well? Isn't there enough offensive d-men that might not be that liable defensively?

As far as Sennecke being a late riser....people don't question the fact that even offensively, the gap between this year and last year isn't that big. Let say....compared to Parekh or Catton?

So in the end, it's not bad enough to go Forwards solely...we are also going BIG forwards? I guess I should be happy we don't go NASTY big forwards like Ottawa did with Boucher....we might have been interested in Carson Wetsch with our No5....

Good context into the BPA/Need conversation.

BPA for me is who they will become at age 20-23. Not where they are today at age 17/18. Lots of players are on steep learning curves and then many others who are in stall mode and takes years to mature once they turn pro.

I'm not afraid to go against the BPA draft lists on where they are today. If there is some like Slaf, Reinbacher, Tij who are young and trending hot, I'm perfectly fine taking them... As long as their grades in skating/skill is very good.

KK was a bad need pick. He was a hot trending pick yes (U18's was good) but man, his Liiga numbers were just bad. Skating was not good too. This is the best Need pick we can find in terms of a bad strategy.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
Honestly, i think it is very probable Demidov falls to us.

Teams reach for top pair D and top 6C whereas smaller winger fall, especially when these players have size. Its evidenced in every single draft. Reinbacher/Simashev ahead of Michkov, Benson at 13, for example in 2022.

Now we enter the draft and there is Silayev, Levshunov and Lindstrom. I personally would prefer Demidov above them, but the fact is teams reach for the Silayev's and Lindstrom's and the Demidov tend to fall a little. It is very subjective and also indicative of nothing and one would argue it is hopium and i would totally agree.

Still, worst case scenario, we have Silayev or Levshunov at our spot and even tho we already have 4 norris caliber dman in our organisation (a slight exageration) it would be very stupid to skip on one of them, in my humble opinion.

Again, in my very humble opinion and nothing more than my opinion and worthless analysis, i think if Chicago skip Demidov, strong strong chance he falls to 5 as he don't appear to be a player someone like Verbeek like and it remains to be seen for CBJ but i do think these GMs would favour a Lindstrom or 6ft3 RD or 6ft7 smooth skating LD.
It's a real possibility that Demidov falls to us. Maybe not "very probable" as much as I'd like to think so. Ditto for Lindstrom. We very well may, as Pronman is predicting, have the luxury of choosing between the two. I'd be over the moon with either but my choice would be Demidov.

Not many people weighing in on our 2nd first round pick. It's exceedingly unlikely that we will be moving up to draft someone like Sennecke. A pipe dream, really. Almost never happens.

Unless Hughes deals the pick for a player that can help us next season, I expect we will simply draft wherever Winnipeg's pick ends up. It's really hard to know how it's going to play out when you draft so late in the first round but I hope Michael Hage is still available. Big, fast and talented. A lot to like.

Imagine coming out of the draft with Demidov and Hage as your first two picks. It would really turbocharge the offense for years to come.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's a real possibility that Demidov falls to us. Maybe not "very probable" as much as I'd like to think so. Ditto for Lindstrom. We very well may, as Pronman is predicting, have the luxury of choosing between the two. I'd be over the moon with either but my choice would be Demidov.

Not many people weighing in on our 2nd first round pick. It's really hard to know who's going to be available when your draft so late in the first round. It's exceedingly unlikely that we will be moving up to draft someone like Sennecke. A pipe dream, really. Almost never happens. Unless Hughes deals the pick for a player that can help us next season, I expect we will simply draft wherever Winnipeg's pick ends up. And I hope Michael Havge is available. A lot to ask, I know, but imagine coming out of the draft with Demidov and Hage as your first two picks.

Call me crazy but I can see a situation where both Lindstrom and Demidov are on the board and we pass on both of them because the Habs like someone better. Slaf and Reinbacher were picks we were all surprised at to some degree.

The other part of me wonders... we pass on both Michkov and Demidov and they become stars.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
Just gonna post the top 5 of Pronman's first mock

1. San Jose Sharks: Macklin Celebrini, C, Boston University-Hockey East​

Celebrini is the consensus No. 1 pick. The Sharks GM has basically said that’s who they’re taking. We can move on.

2. Chicago Blackhawks: Artyom Levshunov, RHD, Michigan State-Big Ten​

Our colleague Scott Powers believes it’s down to Levshunov or SKA winger Ivan Demidov for Chicago. Both are great prospects, but history has shown if it’s close the NHL team often will lean to the big defenseman over the smaller winger.

3. Anaheim Ducks: Anton Silayev, LHD, Torpedo-KHL​

Anaheim is sitting in a great position because of how talented their group of young forwards are and the collection of high-end defense prospects at the top of this draft. Whether it’s Levshunov, Silayev or Sam Dickinson, the Ducks are in a great spot to leave with a big, mobile defenseman. Silayev as a huge and mean defender fits in very well with the kind of team GM Pat Verbeek wants to build. The league thinks if they go forward it would be for Cayden Lindstrom.

4. Columbus Blue Jackets: Sam Dickinson, LHD, London-OHL​

The Blue Jackets could go in a few different directions. They’ve added forwards and defensemen high in the draft in recent years although if I had to pick a need for them it would be more defensive depth. Silayev or Dickinson feel like ideal adds for them for that reason based on need and best player available. They’re not in such a bind on defense though that this pick could easily be Ivan Demidov or Cayden Lindstrom up front.

5. Montreal Canadiens: Ivan Demidov, LW, SKA-KHL​

The draft breaking this way would be ideal for the Canadiens, who many in the league believe want to add a forward in this draft. They would have their pick of Demidov, Cayden Lindstrom, Beckett Sennecke and others. Demidov is considered the second-best forward in the draft by many and would fit a need for the Habs.

Jets pick Pronman gives us Boisvert.. what a dream that would be.
reading the other options this could easily turn out

Celebrini
Demidov
Lindstrom
Silayev/Levshunov

if Silayev is the first and only D off the board i wonder if Habs go Levshunov before Sennecke/Iginla

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
reading the other options this could easily turn out

Celebrini
Demidov
Lindstrom
Silayev/Levshunov

if Silayev is the first and only D off the board i wonder if Habs go Levshunov before Sennecke/Iginla

They would.

That's the type of thing where you just thank your lucky stars you got the best defenseman in the draft, on the right side, two drafts in a row.

Reactions: Shutdown

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Hard to think of that perfect comparable for Sennecke, he’s got a pretty unique skill set. Seems like he’s a legit 6’3” with good speed and incredible edges for a guy that tall. He’s also got incredible hands. The accuracy on his shot is inconsistent, but the release and velocity have it looking like another potentially plus skill. He’s also a smart player with great vision. His compete is inconsistent but at times he flashes the potential to be a physical puck hound. All in all, if his shot and compete level get consistent and he’s able to add strength to his frame he could be a superstar. I do think he has an even higher ceiling than Lindstrom whose ceiling is sky high himself.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Hard to think of that perfect comparable for Sennecke, he’s got a pretty unique skill set. Seems like he’s a legit 6’3” with good speed and incredible edges for a guy that tall. He’s also got incredible hands. The accuracy on his shot is inconsistent, but the release and velocity have it looking like another potentially plus skill. He’s also a smart player with great vision. His compete is inconsistent but at times he flashes the potential to be a physical puck hound. All in all, if his shot and compete level get consistent and he’s able to add strength to his frame he could be a superstar. I do think he has an even higher ceiling than Lindstrom whose ceiling is sky high himself.
Best I can come up with for him is more of a pass first Bobby Ryan

Reactions: Playmaker09

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Aside from the derail of comparing to his father, who do you pick for Tij Iginla's comparison?
* Kaprisov?

Looking for good skaters with size/weight and can shoot the puck. Don't like the Kaprisov pick, who else? I have not seen too many Iggy comparisons other than people talking about his father.
I know people will take this the wrong way, but Chris Kunitz.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I like the Sennecke/Batherson comparison. Big body with good hands in tight with goal scoring ability. Decent skater.

Aside from the derail of comparing to his father, who do you pick for Tij Iginla's comparison?

I see Filip Forsberg stylistically.

He reminds me of Gurianov stylistically.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
So where does Yakemchuk go? Could he be a move-up option for Winnipeg's pick?
Probably the hardest player for me to rank personally, but I can't imagine he doesn't go top 10 with the way NHL teams draft.

6'3 mean RHD with high end skill. After Levshunov goes, he could go anywhere. Anaheim at 3 wouldn't even shock me. I feel like he doesn't get past Ottawa.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Sennecke reminds me of Ryan Johansen as a junior. Except not a center.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I see Filip Forsberg stylistically.

F Forsberg came to my mind as well. Some fans get tied up in a knot when the comment is said... Iggy has his fathers pedigree. It's like they want a fight and the reply is, he is not going to be like his father. :facepalm:

I really like what I see with Tij. I've been trying to nit pick his flaws for over a week now. Difficult to find.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Pass first JVR or Ryan is good. Batherson is good.

Benn and Nash (a couple pages ago) are absolute trucks though. Bit of a different profile.

He's young, he will fill out his frame and become a truck as well for sure.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Picks #70, 78, 102, 130, 134, 166, 198 are set for the Habs.

The final position of their own 1st will be decided at the draft lottery. Winnipeg's 1st, Colorado's 2nd, and Washington and Edmonton's 7ths will be decided depending on the results of the playoffs.
Habs 1st was decided by the lottery at #5.
Winnipeg's 1st is now 24-27, it will be locked in by the end of this round
Colorado's 2nd will be affected by the Stars v Avs series. If the Stars win, the pick will be either 57 or 58.
Washington's 7th is locked in at 210

So #5, 70, 78, 102, 130, 134, 166, 198, 210
+Win 1st (24-27)
+Col 2nd (57-58 or 62-65)
+Edm 7th (217 or 222-225)

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Very good comparable. Perry is another one.

Reinbacher better be a top pairing or it us a miss of a pick.

Mailloux is most definitely a 2nd pairing and himself could surprise some people as a top pair guy. I'm big on him.
Perry as in Corey Perry? The guy that has always had foot speed issues and has been one of the biggest pests of his generation? I just don’t see how they are similar other than the hands.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
He's young, he will fill out his frame and become a truck as well for sure.
He's a skill forward in a big body, not a modern day PWF like Benn or Nash.

Him "filling out" is like Scheifele filling out. He's not going to turn into Nichushkin.

Or he could fail to do so and become the next Puljujarvi, Glass, Dal Colle, KK, Perlini, Kravtsov, Pouliot, Mueller, Paajarvi.
It's one of the highest-risk and most common bust profiles. The NHL game is not forgiving to beanpoles with high centers of gravity.
When they work out it looks great, when they fail they're out of the league in a hurry. I would never say "for sure" with this type of profile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad