Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
i thought benching him was harsh, his performance wasnt that bad, but as a fan of his i still cant say it was particularly great either. a surprising lack of consistency with his passing today, a couple misfires, some critically so. really seemed to struggle to generate chances both from that and an inability to effectively drive the net. his puck carrying in transition was as great as always, but even that showed some uncharacteristic trouble with entries today. on the plus side, the effort level was still high, he was still quite competitive along the boards, and even through some mishandlings i didnt find him rushing plays or trying to avoid playing through contact to compensate. besides, all of this was a ploy to ensure he makes it to 10 anyway :sarcasm:

just as a quick hit, i liked mbn's game today, he was extra fast off the rush. very high pace and very willing to crash the net and open himself up for scoring opportunities. highly competitive in puck battles, as always. maybe not as involved defensively as im used to, and certainly had a couple mishaps with the puck, but nothing super egregious. solberg was quieter compared to his last game, but still quite solid filling in that top role for norway. excellent physical edge, not even just to punish guys but also more proactively fending off forecheckers and buying space. very confident puck carrying per usual as well
I saw second half of the game. I will cry when we pick someone else not name MBN. When he took the puck away in two consecutive moments from the backcheck and turned the game into offense again and again, that was inspiring.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
I saw second half of the game. I will cry when we pick someone else not name MBN. When he took the puck away in two consecutive moments from the backcheck and turned the game into offense again and again, that was inspiring.

What gives me hope for MBN to the Devils is the fact Fitzgerald has proven consensus rankings do not sway him and he trusts his scouts.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
What gives me hope for MBN to the Devils is the fact Fitzgerald has proven consensus rankings do not sway him and he trusts his scouts.
And he is not afraid to takin his guys all over the world(if they are not Russian goalies of course). Still positional question all over Nygard.

If they would have talk with Mercer this summer about translating him into the regular third line center, it could make some kind of sence. But as I thought from the beginning, as I think now - Mercer better suited on the wing.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I also had Jarvis rated higher in his draft year than I have Iginla rated now, but I certainly like Iginla too.

Jarvis is one of my all-time draft favorites. I couldn't stop gushing about the kid. I think I cried a tear or two when Carolina took him.

We can always just find new things to make fun of each other about. Most of my friends just give me s**t about the fact that I live in 2024 and my hair is still in the 1990s.
You was very high on Jarvis. But you was quite high on Schneider. You was much higher on Holtz than me. Dont exactly remember what did you thinkt about Gunler. I remember i explained Reichel as top-20 pick and Peterka as top-25. Peterka wasnt picked in top-25 but he should be. He is more creative and little bit less physical in NHL than I thought he should be.
Jarvis was good to be drafted by seven in y our vision. If you think Iginla is deserving to be picked by 7th this year than Im not on this train. Like the player but definitely outside my top-10. Im inspiring by his combo of skill, shot, hard work, forechecking, offensive iq with the puck, stickhandling but im not inspiring with his defensive game, lack of positional iq, lack of separating speed. It doesnt make him bad player, I believe he will be very good one. I just know a couple of better wingers.
Overall I dont see where we are not agree in bigger picture this year - you are high on Nygard and CHernyshov, you have Buium very high, you have Silayev lower than consensus as me., you have Demidov and Lindstrom in the top as me. Its interesting for me what are you thinking about Frej? Im quite high on the player, he is in my top-20.

You cried? P9ssy. I was bleeding when sens took Sanderson away but my eyes stays dry.

My hairs are looking like a typical Colin Farrell long hair cut.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
You was very high on Jarvis. But you was quite high on Schneider. You was much higher on Holtz than me. Dont exactly remember what did you thinkt about Gunler. I remember i explained Reichel as top-20 pick and Peterka as top-25. Peterka wasnt picked in top-25 but he should be. He is more creative and little bit less physical in NHL than I thought he should be.
Jarvis was good to be drafted by seven in y our vision. If you think Iginla is deserving to be picked by 7th this year than Im not on this train. Like the player but definitely outside my top-10. Im inspiring by his combo of skill, shot, hard work, forechecking, offensive iq with the puck, stickhandling but im not inspiring with his defensive game, lack of positional iq, lack of separating speed. It doesnt make him bad player, I believe he will be very good one. I just know a couple of better wingers.
Overall I dont see where we are not agree in bigger picture this year - you are high on Nygard and CHernyshov, you have Buium very high, you have Silayev lower than consensus as me., you have Demidov and Lindstrom in the top as me. Its interesting for me what are you thinking about Frej? Im quite high on the player, he is in my top-20.

You cried? P9ssy. I was bleeding when sens took Sanderson away but my eyes stays dry.

Colin Farrell? That's making me cry, too. At least I look like I could play bass guitar in Soundgarden.

Right now my revised draft ranking probably looks like this, but I've been studying up as much as I can and there will certainly be more changes:

1 C Celebrini
2 W Demidov
3 C Lindstrom
4 LD Buium
5 LD Dickinson
6 RD Levshunov
7 RW Brandsegg-Nygard
8 C Helenius
9 LW Catton
10 RW Chernyshov
11 C Hage
12 LW Iginla
13 LD Silayev
14 RD Yakemchuk
15 RW Sennecke
16 LD Solberg
17 RD Emery
18 RD Jiricek
19 LW Eiserman
20 C Boisvert

I guess the guys I'll hear about leaving out of this top 20 would be Parekh, Connolly and Greentree. Parekh's defense concerns me, Greentree's skating concerns me, and Connolly's character concerns will probably drop him out of my final rankings altogether.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I remember @StevenToddIves being very high on Rossi and Sanderson that draft, as well. Speaking of Rossi, I heard a rumor from Pagnotta that Minnesota is listening to offers for him.
Is Pagnotta reliable? Rossi would be a perfect 3C for NJ, kid plays a great 2-way game.

I had Rossi at #3 and Sanderson at #4 if I remember correctly.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
That’s a good question. I’m not quite sure. I was also very high on Rossi as he and Drysdale were the players I wanted. I recall some posters feeling like Rossi’s skill set was somewhat redundant and that center was not a priority (the difference a few years makes and a testament to going BPA). I remember many other posters wanting him, too. Alas, we let him slip a few spots when we selected Holtz.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Is Pagnotta reliable? Rossi would be a perfect 3C for NJ, kid plays a great 2-way game.

I had Rossi at #3 and Sanderson at #4 if I remember correctly.
I was lower on Rossi and Drysdale. And higher on Stuzle, maximum higher, I said I like him more than Laf. Rossi was behind Quinn in my list.
Sanderson was literally my favorite player.

After 2020 draft I started to forget about consensus raitings. Because I didnt like Laf as much as BPA on the draft.
And I learned more about compete level and IQ and how mostly they are effecting on development and adaptation to NHL level. I remember people were high on Perrault(Ducks pick in the later part of the round).

Defense was quite understandable for me. Positioning. skating, gap control. Little bit after I started to focus more on the decision making in escaping situation - puck work, how fast and how good defenseman is making passes. I liked Okhotiuk a lot but still he has issues with this part of the game. Offensive parts of the game? Great, when player is good enough in basics.
Reason why I just cant stand with Parekh this year. I understand potential and everything but if the player is stay the same and will not develop some of the aspects drammatically, he will be classic traveler.

That’s a good question. I’m not quite sure. I was also very high on Rossi as he and Drysdale were the players I wanted. I recall some posters feeling like Rossi’s skill set was somewhat redundant and that center was not a priority (the difference a few years makes and a testament to going BPA). I remember many other posters wanting him, too. Alas, we let him slip a few spots when we selected Holtz.
It sound strange. Reason why I think it has something real. Because mostly this rumors are about future UFA or not-happy stars or older goaltanders(when the young one is good enough) or good older players on the rebuilding teams. ELC center from 2020 draft who is play solid as a two way forward? I believe its too hard to imagine that. It should be some smoke. I dont know how hot the fire is.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Why would Rossi be available?

According to the article, they aren't desperate to trade him but would be willing to move Rossi.

They were probably disappointed by the team taking a step back this season and they don't want to just bring the same group back. Rossi is one of the few guys they have who has value without a no trade clause. An earlier Athletic article seemed to indicate that their management might not be as high on Rossi after handing out extensions to Hartman/Gaudreau. They were able to sign Marat Khusnutdinov late in the season and perhaps they like his long term potential.

At least offhand they could use a right shot RW.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Dear god I love Peterka. (Just thought I throw that out there lol.)

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Why would Rossi be available?
Interesting question. A lot of people from the scouting community saw 1st line center when looked on Rossi. I think thee are no 1st line potential and even as a winger. That was my concern from the beginning. Not enough skills and mobility. May be Wild like what they see in Heidt and feel he has better potential. Wild should really like what they see in Yurov. They still have Ek. And they signed Khusnutdinov who has good 3-4th line center potential.
They have a lot of holes, may be they want to build more faster or more bigger or more stronger team. Rossi has really good value but could be not so projectable for their plan.
But its only theory. He played really well. He is already nhl center with good results and numbers. Yuriv and Heidt are projects even if they are good. May be there is some conflict, may be they are talking with him about his future role as a winger and he reject it. May be they want to find better partners for Kaprisov now and Rossi has value, under control, changeable in their situation. May be with their depth they can trade Rossi for very good defenseman.

Again its a strange situation, but the level of this strangeness is giving us the logic to think that could be something there.

Dear god I love Peterka. (Just thought I throw that out there lol.)
Me too. I love all three German players. Drafting both Reichel and Peterka by 18th and 20th pick was one of my options on the draft. Reichel wasn't available, Shakir was traded for another German speaker.

Buffalo loaded with good forwards. And there is a little chance all top 6 D will not be available. Its interesting how they will act. They can draft Jiricek higher than his consensus rankings are, they can trade back. Or draft another great forward. But what they will do with them I don't know.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Pronman Mock Draft

1715691353646.png

1. Celebrini
2. Levshunov
3. Silayev
4. Dickinson
5. Demidov
6. Lindstrom
7. Parekh
8. Buium
9. Helenius

1715691569576.png

11. Catton
12. Yakemchuk
13. Iginla
14. Jiricek
15. Brandsegg-Nygard
16. Solberg
17. Eiserman
18. Luchanko
19. Connelly
20. Chernyshov

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
That's a miss by Pronman, imo. Sennecke is like the one guy I think it's very unlikely we take.

and I'd be ecstatic to get Deimdov at 5, which is why the Habs would definitely pass on him and take, idk, Parekh.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
I recognize this is a highlight package and anybody can look awesome with 2 minutes of cherry picked footage but

AWOOOOOOGA

(Respectfully)
the thing with mbn is hes always playing that way even if the results dont consistently look that pretty. so, sure, hes not winning every puck battle or cleanly stripping the puck every time he backchecks, but i dont think lassi had to work particularly hard to find those cilps

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
That stick work and body positioning from MBN is so impressive. He’s really fast and doesn’t look shy at all to take the body. There’s so much to like here. He’s the guy I want if Buium and Dickinson are off the board. It isn’t a slight against Helenius but more of a testament to how highly I view this kid.

Thank you to @Guadana for his stellar work and opening my eyes to this player. I’m fully on board.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
worth calling out mbn is actually playing right now lol got a well deserved bump to the top line today. real solid 1st period. couple near chances, excellent pressure on the forecheck, great board support and touches on pucks to disrupt possession, got into a heated scrum outside the crease at one point. looks no different than he did on the 3rd line (in a good way, i dont want him deviating from his game because he feels like he needs to take more chances with better linemates)

edit: and just tucked one on a big time snipe and excellent zucc feed (he actually started that sequence by making a play, you guessed it, along the boards). real nice game today, extra defensive involvement this period. feels like hes on top of the puck every second hes out there

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad