Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
My theory is we are avoiding the OHL because it was the only league that, due to COVID, had an entire season wiped out. That was an entire year of development for all OHL players minus the handful who went to play in Europe.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
My theory is we are avoiding the OHL because it was the only league that, due to COVID, had an entire season wiped out. That was an entire year of development for all OHL players minus the handful who went to play in Europe.
I bet you're right. That is probably part of it.
It's also the most over-scouted and over-drafted league.

Our scouts just proved that they like to pick the diamond in the rough.

Reactions: Kaizen

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I bet you're right. That is probably part of it.
It's also the most over-scouted and over-drafted league.

Our scouts just proved that they like to pick the diamond in the rough.
Who is "the diamond in the rough?"

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think Simashev and But both fall into that category. Hard to scout live, ranked lower as a result.
I don't think a top six in the draft should be considered a diamond in the rough, as players drafted that high come with high expectations. Finding a player in the second, third round or higher I would call "finding a diamond in the rough", if they become stars.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I don't think a top six in the draft should be considered a diamond in the rough, as players drafted that high come with high expectations. Finding a player in the second, third round or higher I would call "finding a diamond in the rough", if they become stars.
I agree...Simashev and But better become very good players...otherwise our resurgence isn't going to be as good as we need it to be. Simashev has to become a top pair guy and But has to be 50pt or better 2-way power forward.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
From watching the U18s I'm pretty high on the defenseman this draft for sure. Hopefully we can get one of Kiviharju, Celebrini, or Eiserman, but failing that Jiricek or Hutson would be great to get too, and I'd be happy with Demidov, would be nice to have the Russian prospect I wanted all along haha.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
From watching the U18s I'm pretty high on the defenseman this draft for sure. Hopefully we can get one of Kiviharju, Celebrini, or Eiserman, but failing that Jiricek or Hutson would be great to get too, and I'd be happy with Demidov, would be nice to have the Russian prospect I wanted all along haha.
I’m hoping for one of the CHL defenders, personally. If we are unexpectedly good, and the top D are out of range, I’d be happy to add winger Beckett Sennecke. I had Ritchie ranked 16th this year, and I might like Sennecke more.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I agree...Simashev and But better become very good players...otherwise our resurgence isn't going to be as good as we need it to be. Simashev has to become a top pair guy and But has to be 50pt or better 2-way power forward.
This front office/scouting group has to give me a reason to doubt them before I start doubting them. This pair of Russians might be it but we won’t know for a while. I do find it interesting that so many people are critical of “safe” picks and call for teams to take homerun swings. Then when a team does, those same people complain about it. Haha.

Personally, I’m a little more conservative. I really love the Barlow pick for Winnipeg. So, my initial shock at these picks doesn’t embarrass me too, too much. Haha. Though all the raw tools do help the floor for these two. In my mind anyway. So I’m mostly just intrigued and excited. I’m not going to borrow trouble on this.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
A top ten pick next draft should really solidify our pool. If we get a big name defenseman we will have the makings of a killer blueline. If we get one of the skilled wingers or centers our forward core will be our strength. It will be exciting to see which way we go.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
A top ten pick next draft should really solidify our pool. If we get a big name defenseman we will have the makings of a killer blueline. If we get one of the skilled wingers or centers our forward core will be our strength. It will be exciting to see which way we go.

Stoked to watch what unfolds in Vegas.

We should cut a deal with Bill, so next season we match their suits but we swear to keep it between the group of us going

Freddy Sjostrom

Jun 24, 2018
Kiviharju will be interesting since his father Jani is a Coyotes scout. With his size, I can’t see them selecting him or Hutson, but maybe that changes. Demidov plays for SKA, I would stay away from him. The Coyotes lottery luck will need to change for Celebrini or Eiserman, that would be nice.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Stoked to watch what unfolds in Vegas.

We should cut a deal with Bill, so next season we match their suits but we swear to keep it between the group of us going

Should be an easy sell, " hey BA this group of absolute hockey nerds that strictly talk to each other online for 364 days a year and know our prospects better than their own mothers, would like to wear matching suits with you at the draft!"

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
Who is "the diamond in the rough?"
Feel like a lot of these picks they’ve been making could qualify. Both Geekie and Lamoureaux. As well as both our first round picks this year. Giants that have an enormous amount of upside. We’re swinging for the fences more than a home run derby. I like it though, because not only is the upside apparent but we are drafting what appear to be just quality individuals as well. Kudos to our scouting staff for taking risks, and doing their homework off the ice as well. The thought of it all coming together is just too rich. Talk about size…

Crouse-Geekie-But
Simashev-Lamoureux

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
Moser would qualify. Very hard to step in and pull the minutes he’s had since being drafted . For this draft I’m going to cast a vote for Castagna. Barely seen him play but I get like a Cogliano/Martinook vibe off of him. Feel like he’s going to be in the NHL someday with someone…

Reactions: Grimes

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Feel like a lot of these picks they’ve been making could qualify. Both Geekie and Lamoureaux. As well as both our first round picks this year. Giants that have an enormous amount of upside. We’re swinging for the fences more than a home run derby. I like it though, because not only is the upside apparent but we are drafting what appear to be just quality individuals as well. Kudos to our scouting staff for taking risks, and doing their homework off the ice as well. The thought of it all coming together is just too rich. Talk about size…

Crouse-Geekie-But
Simashev-Lamoureux
Agreed. Although I'd like a bit more of a mix between home run swing and a nice hit for a single RBI.
Swing with Geekie and then grab Chesley for instance.
Grab Leonard or Dvorsky and swing with But (grant it I understand that having him and Simachev helps the likelihood of getting them over).
I think the sheer amount of homerun swings has perturbed me a bit. It's kind of the opposite of Chayka, where he made reaches for what seemed like very underwhelming and safe players that checked off his fancy metrics. BA seems to reach for very high ceilings that check off his metrics of character and size.

All that said, I've been impressed with the risks he has taken and don't need to spend nearly as much time justifying them as I did the Chayka reaches lol. For instance I'm much happier with But than Wood. I'm also happy with Simashev over Reinbacher (check out my thesis of a post from last night).

But yeah my preferred method would be one big swing flowed by a nice safe pick because we have so much draft darts

Moser would qualify. Very hard to step in and pull the minutes he’s had since being drafted . For this draft I’m going to cast a vote for Castagna. Barely seen him play but I get like a Cogliano/Martinook vibe off of him. Feel like he’s going to be in the NHL someday with someone…
I don't think we talk about Moser enough around here. It was brilliant to take an overager whose stock rose so much after only having one draft pick in 2020. Let alone an overager who excelled so much. It's outlandish he stepped in right away and solidified himself in a top four spit an never looked back.

Also his mom is a delight and his grandfather is so damn proud of him (met both at the NJD game back in Feb).

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
The thought of it all coming together is just too rich. Talk about size…

Crouse-Geekie-But
Simashev-Lamoureux
And then when they get tired...

Bantle - Castagna - Matikka
Morden - Kesselring

If we're only icing big dudes then the quality drops off quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad