Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Watched the London and Saginaw sweep games last night. That next series between these two powerhouses is the real OHL championship for my money. Dickinson vs Parekh. Buckle up.

Reactions: Grimes

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Watched the London and Saginaw sweep games last night. That next series between these two powerhouses is the real OHL championship for my money. Dickinson vs Parekh. Buckle up.
here's my issue with Parekh. Do you think his skill set and style of play is A) transferable to the NHL (which based on guys like Quinn Hughes I think there is an argument that I need to listen to and/or B) is this a Armstrong type of player? We seem more focused on size/two-way play OR C) does the skill just trump all that and I need to shut my mouth while the draft team runs to the podium to select him.

I prefer others based on A/B myself.

rt

May 13, 2004
here's my issue with Parekh. Do you think his skill set and style of play is A) transferable to the NHL (which based on guys like Quinn Hughes I think there is an argument that I need to listen to and/or B) is this a Armstrong type of player? We seem more focused on size/two-way play OR C) does the skill just trump all that and I need to shut my mouth while the draft team runs to the podium to select him.

I prefer others based on A/B myself.
A) Yes
B) No
C) Maybe but I’m not counting on it

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I couldn’t disagree more. I’ve managed to catch quite a few games of both and I’m having a hard time seeing where you’re coming from on this perspective.
I've watched literally every game of Dickinson. He's great! I love him. Comes with being a Knights fan. I probably rate him higher than a lot of people because I think he's way better defensively then anyone else in this draft class and he's good enough offensively that I think he's on par with most of the offensive guys in the draft. I only have Silayev ahead of him for D-man and have him barely ahead of Levshunov. Everyone else isn't really close IMO. Maybe Buium.

But even then I don't think there's ANY two way d-men who are going to be #1D in this draft. Silayev, Dickinson and Buium are probably good enough two way that they have the best chance but Levshunov and Parekh have to get way better at defense and more consistent and Yakemchuk is IMO a kind of good in between of the rest.

Lamoreaux probably won't become a #1 2WD either, but he's older and more developed and the important part is that he's REALLY learned a lot of offensive instincts in the last year. He cooled off a bit before his injury but he was above PPG for a bit there and he looked really good at both ends of the ice in my viewings.

If we're going to draft Parekh I'd rather just draft Eiserman or Demidov. If we're going to swing for the fences I want an offensively talented elite forward, not a d-man.

I'll be happy with whoever BA drafts because it's BA but I'll be especially happy with one of Demidov, Eiserman, or Lindstrom and any of the russian D (Silayev, Levshunov, Yakemchuk)

Reactions: DustyDangler

rt

May 13, 2004
This Everett vs Vancouver series has been a good one. Tarin Smith and Julius Miettinen (I love this kid) are rocketing up my list. Colton Roberts is tumbling down my list. He’s got great tools and plays a tough, nasty game. But boy does he make awful decision with the puck. Pretty much every time. It’s Elick pt2. Want to like the big mean toolsy RD. But can’t because they lack puck skills.

rt

May 13, 2004
Isn't it more of a Ukrainian name?
How long is your timeline? Haha.

I think there’s a Yakemchuk or two here:

BDB04041-549D-4ACD-AA2A-B11E7307BB3A.jpeg

I’ve always said I love this kid. He plays the game like a Cossack. Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: sundance74

rt

May 13, 2004
Getting this back on track.

I’ve said all year that Yakemchuk is my favorite player in the draft. He is. I’m always a sucker for the grit/skill combo. Add size, and I’m hooked. Yakemchuk is a bastard out there. A giant prick. Opposing teams hate him. I’ve seen him throw entire squads off their game. He reminds me more of Corey Perry than any other player. Which is crazy because he’s a defensemen. But really, they’re very similar. Right down to the poor yet effective skating. The dangles and goal scoring. All of it. Even the “punch me” face. Yakemchuk has sick hands, some of the best dangles in the class, and he can really score.

Here’s where I’m worried; the skating and the opportunity for development of that skating. On the one hand, I’m glad he’s old for his class. I’m glad he’s AHL eligible after next season. On the other hand, he’s got stuff to work on and I don’t know if Calgary next season and then Tucson the season after that is the best place to work on it. Calgary is kind of a mess. And Tucson is already the pros. If the Yotes think they can really get their hands on him and have enough time and opportunity to work on the skating, I would take him 3rd overall.

My worry is that he’s older, he’s big and strong, major athlete. He’s been a top prospect. He’s got great edges and skating ability in small areas. So the talent is there. Why hasn’t he fixed his stride? How the heck did we get here? This isn’t an overnight growth spurt issue. This isn’t a skinny legs issue. This isn’t a late round pick, late bloomer, come from nowhere never had the right coaching issue. The tools and the talent have always been there. This should have been clear to the right people a long time ago. So why isn’t it better? Is it the kid?

I’ve got questions on Yakemchuk that I don’t have on Dickinson.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Isn't it more of a Ukrainian name?
I'm pretty sure it's Russian because it originally comes from Якемчук and is one of several americanizations of the name along with Yakimchuk, Yakymchuk, etc. I'm only speculating here but I think it's an old name that originally came from Russia with most of the people emigrating to the Ukraine and Canada afterwards.

Anyways to make this somewhat relevant I think Yakemchuk has probably as much to work on as any other D in this draft not named Dickinson and SIlayev, but I don't think his issues are as bad (or could be as bad, I suppose) as someone like Parekh.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Would hate to have Corry Perry on my team. Even more then Benn
I'd love to have a 5 time PPG player on our team who was a huge contributor to a stanley cup, won a hart and a richard, and is still relevant at 38, even if he is a shitty person or a worm. f***, I wish we had someone like that on our team to dissuade people from killing Cooley and shit.

Reactions: Jakey53

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I'd love to have a 5 time PPG player on our team who was a huge contributor to a stanley cup, won a hart and a richard, and is still relevant at 38, even if he is a shitty person or a worm. f***, I wish we had someone like that on our team to dissuade people from killing Cooley and shit.
Agreed.

Guy is a winner and a world class rat. Every team hates him and every team wants him on their squad.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
LOB? A Perry clone with not much talent.:laugh:

Getting this back on track.

I’ve said all year that Yakemchuk is my favorite player in the draft. He is. I’m always a sucker for the grit/skill combo. Add size, and I’m hooked. Yakemchuk is a bastard out there. A giant prick. Opposing teams hate him. I’ve seen him throw entire squads off their game. He reminds me more of Corey Perry than any other player. Which is crazy because he’s a defensemen. But really, they’re very similar. Right down to the poor yet effective skating. The dangles and goal scoring. All of it. Even the “punch me” face. Yakemchuk has sick hands, some of the best dangles in the class, and he can really score.

Here’s where I’m worried; the skating and the opportunity for development of that skating. On the one hand, I’m glad he’s old for his class. I’m glad he’s AHL eligible after next season. On the other hand, he’s got stuff to work on and I don’t know if Calgary next season and then Tucson the season after that is the best place to work on it. Calgary is kind of a mess. And Tucson is already the pros. If the Yotes think they can really get their hands on him and have enough time and opportunity to work on the skating, I would take him 3rd overall.

My worry is that he’s older, he’s big and strong, major athlete. He’s been a top prospect. He’s got great edges and skating ability in small areas. So the talent is there. Why hasn’t he fixed his stride? How the heck did we get here? This isn’t an overnight growth spurt issue. This isn’t a skinny legs issue. This isn’t a late round pick, late bloomer, come from nowhere never had the right coaching issue. The tools and the talent have always been there. This should have been clear to the right people a long time ago. So why isn’t it better? Is it the kid?

I’ve got questions on Yakemchuk that I don’t have on Dickinson.
Have you watched Lindstrom? I know he has been hurt, but thought you or hbk may have seen him play before he was injured. Could his injury drop him down to our spot?

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004

Have you watched Lindstrom? I know he has been hurt, but thought you or hbk may have seen him play before he was injured. Could his injury drop him down to our spot?
Yes. Seen quite a bit of Lindstrom. He’s a freight train. Throw back power center like we used to see in the league 20 years ago. Big, mean, skates really well, always attacks the inside, and has a bullet for a shot.

Downside is I think this tiger needs some taming. I’ve seen him get very distracted by shenanigans after whistles. He loses composure and can have some discipline issues in the ice. Some temper tantrums, too. I remember seeing him go nuts and smash up a stick on game. The equipment manager (an old dog) obviously had seen enough and I saw him grab him in the tunnel and tear a strip off him.

That’s all negatives that could be positives, though. Too much fire is better than not enough. Dean Lombardi once said “Better to have to tame a tiger than have to paint stripes on a p***ycat”.

The the bigger worry is the bad back. Big guys who play hard get bad backs. He’s got his a decade too soon. That’s worrisome. That would be my one big hesitation.

The offensive tunnel vision, the lack of high end hockey sense or playmaking, and the fiery disposition that can cause issues, are all things I can live with to get such a rare (these days) and valuable player profile. But the bad back is spooky. Not gonna lie. That worries me.

Coyotes19c

Jul 27, 2021
Just wanted to ask if anyone else is traveling to Vegas for the draft? Wanted to know if there are some more fanaticals out there - haha!
I really wanted to go but now that the land auction is the day before the draft it’s put me in a tough spot. I can’t imagine traveling to Vegas and the Yotes losing the auction. I would feel like a complete bozo.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Just wanted to ask if anyone else is traveling to Vegas for the draft? Wanted to know if there are some more fanaticals out there - haha!
I still want to go. The auction is the only thing holding up me up right now.

If this team goes, I stop following the league entirely, so I would hate to book the trip, just to lose interest the night before. haha

Reactions: Prarievarg

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Wonder how quickly we will hear about the auction closing and if it's an acceptable timeframe for the NHL. Hopefully by 4:00 the same day.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

It could. Iginla could leap frog him the way it is going. I think Lindstrom needs to show something at U18's to justify a top 5 pick at this point.

Yes. Seen quite a bit of Lindstrom. He’s a freight train. Throw back power center like we used to see in the league 20 years ago. Big, mean, skates really well, always attacks the inside, and has a bullet for a shot.

Downside is I think this tiger needs some taming. I’ve seen him get very distracted by shenanigans after whistles. He loses composure and can have some discipline issues in the ice. Some temper tantrums, too. I remember seeing him go nuts and smash up a stick on game. The equipment manager (an old dog) obviously had seen enough and I saw him grab him in the tunnel and tear a strip off him.

That’s all negatives that could be positives, though. Too much fire is better than not enough. Dean Lombardi once said “Better to have to tame a tiger than have to paint stripes on a p***ycat”.

The the bigger worry is the bad back. Big guys who play hard get bad backs. He’s got his a decade too soon. That’s worrisome. That would be my one big hesitation.

The offensive tunnel vision, the lack of high end hockey sense or playmaking, and the fiery disposition that can cause issues, are all things I can live with to get such a rare (these days) and valuable player profile. But the bad back is spooky. Not gonna lie. That worries me.
I was just starting to really like him in my top 5 when he went down. He may be a very good 2C but if you think he's a 1C then he could go at 2 ov. Likely should go at 2 overall if you think he can play on the first line and put up a ppg.

rt

May 13, 2004
It could. Iginla could leap frog him the way it is going. I think Lindstrom needs to show something at U18's to justify a top 5 pick at this point.

I was just starting to really like him in my top 5 when he went down. He may be a very good 2C but if you think he's a 1C then he could go at 2 ov. Likely should go at 2 overall if you think he can play on the first line and put up a ppg.
Have to think Iginla is rocketing up the draft board. If you take his reg.season+PO’s he’s at 55g in 70gp. If you take Lindstrom’s pace over the same span, he’s at exactly the same. 55 for 70 pace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad