Speculation: 2024 Off-season Discussion

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Interesting tidbit from the fourth period.
Having gone through a significant rebuild in Arizona, the now-former Coyotes will look to be competitive and shoot for the playoffs next spring, as per the mandate from ownership.

Anyone else hearing anything like this?
Seems the opposite of what he said in an interview

A sport journalists speculating.,, and others reporting it as fact. A common tale :)

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Of course there is lots of angst on the Leafs board (and rightly so) right now. HOLY there are some bad takes on the UTAH HC.

Saw one trade proposal where UHC retain 50% of Marners contract for a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

Another had UTAH trade Crouse, McBain and a 1st.

Another was Crouse, But and Lamoureux

:popcorn:

On a related note 'cause this old man doesn't get it...what the heck is that goofy dance Marner keeps doing? Looks like something a 13 year old boy would do on Tik Tok or a game or something like that.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Of course there is lots of angst on the Leafs board (and rightly so) right now. HOLY there are some bad takes on the UTAH HC.

Saw one trade proposal where UHC retain 50% of Marners contract for a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

On a related note 'cause this old man doesn't get it...what the heck is that goofy dance Marner keeps doing? Looks like something a 13 year old boy would do on Tik Tok or a game or something like that.
Leafs fans are particularly frustrating when it comes to over valuing their players.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Marner is a good player. I doubt if we are interested it would be at full price. The package we would be offering would be less than Leaf fans would be anticipating.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Marner is a good player. I doubt if we are interested it would be at full price. The package we would be offering would be less than Leaf fans would be anticipating.
Yes, he is a great talent. But I sure as heck would not pay him 53% more than our current best player. And then there is the pay raise he will expect. And then there is whatever the cost is to acquire him.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yes, he is a great talent. But I sure as heck would not pay him 53% more than our current best player. And then there is the pay raise he will expect. And then there is whatever the cost is to acquire him.
And that’s the predicament Toronto has and the reality that we can take the contract w/o retention helps us.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Marner is a good regular season player. Close to worthless in playoffs and he was primary responsible for Pasta goal. If you want to make the playoffs Marner is interesting, if you want to win in playoffs, you want no part of him.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I saw a fun mock up where we offer sheet Byfield for 8.5 mil. Cost is a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

I'd do that except Cooley and Guenther would then want the same money. Plus other guys. Our cap would be a mess I'd think.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I saw a fun mock up where we offer sheet Byfield for 8.5 mil. Cost is a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

I'd do that except Cooley and Guenther would then want the same money. Plus other guys. Our cap would be a mess I'd think.
Why would the Kings accept that? I would think BA would do that in a heartbeat. 8.5 mil. would be a steal in a couple of years.

i don't see us using offer sheets to improve the club.
Can you offer sheet a RFA?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Why would the Kings accept that? I would think BA would do that in a heartbeat. 8.5 mil. would be a steal in a couple of years.

Can you offer sheet a RFA?
Yes. It has happened to us with Selanne (Calgary) and Tkachuk (Chicago) when with the Jets.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Same. Just gets too messy. Slow growth is the way.
Byfield is young. In fact, he is just the type of player Utah needs. Why do you think it gets messy? He fits everything our rebuild is about, but just speeds it up.

Yes. It has happened to us with Selanne (Calgary) and Tkachuk (Chicago) when with the Jets.
Ok, if that all it takes I would do that in a heartbeat. No questions asked. The Kings will never let that happen.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Byfield is young. In fact, he is just the type of player Utah needs. Why do you think it gets messy? He fits everything our rebuild is about, but just speeds it up.

If Byfield gets 8.5, the other young guys will want the same. Suddenly we're out of cap, and we also have LA looking to hit us back with an offer sheet.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
LA is not letting go of Byfield. If you want the scoring skills he has in a beast of a package, you have to get it at the draft.

If we pass on Lindstrom we'll regret it.
I'm scared of CL's injury history. IF he doesn't turn out to be injury prone I'm with you but it's hard to overlook that risk.

Walt was injured his draft year and that worked out so who knows... :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad