OT: 2024 Soccer and Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Wrexham is a good story but $250 to see a third tier English team vs the Whitecaps B team? :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Red

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Actually sat down and watched the entirety of the TSN broadcast of the Austin-Vancouver game on Saturday night. It was the 50th anniversary game for Whitecaps pro soccer in Vancouver. That was the good news.

I swear the ball never appeared in the Whitecaps half of the field. A 0-0 draw was a travesty. Just so excruciatingly boring to muck your way through.

Reactions: Lindgren

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Actually sat down and watched the entirety of the TSN broadcast of the Austin-Vancouver game on Saturday night. It was the 50th anniversary game for Whitecaps pro soccer in Vancouver. That was the good news.

I swear the ball never appeared in the Whitecaps half of the field. A 0-0 draw was a travesty. Just so excruciatingly boring to muck your way through.
I thought overturning the 1-0 goal was a shocking decision. VAR did not show conclusive evidence that there was a handball as it looked to go off his shoulder and his arm was not in any unnatural position yet they overturned it.

Then later Fafa clearly fouled in the box. Ref goes to VAR and says no pen? What's the point of VAR? Should have been 2-0 Caps.

Reactions: Lindgren

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Jesse Marsch hired to manage the CDN Men's team. Good hire IMO.
I was reading the press release and I saw this nugget:

Marsch’s hire was facilitated by “major philanthropic contributions” from the owners of the three Canadian-based MLS clubs — Vancouver Whitecaps, CF Montreal (Joey Saputo) and Toronto FC (Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment) — and supplemented by other private donors, according to Canada Soccer.

Canada Soccer is such a joke. We have world class players under the umbrella of a Dollarama budget. I remember there was a story where some Canadian merch was re-used for a U21 team or something like that.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
I was reading the press release and I saw this nugget:

Marsch’s hire was facilitated by “major philanthropic contributions” from the owners of the three Canadian-based MLS clubs — Vancouver Whitecaps, CF Montreal (Joey Saputo) and Toronto FC (Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment) — and supplemented by other private donors, according to Canada Soccer.

Canada Soccer is such a joke. We have world class players under the umbrella of a Dollarama budget. I remember there was a story where some Canadian merch was re-used for a U21 team or something like that.
The new General Secretary is actually competent in terms of funding and budgeting.

The big problem is that a few years ago Canada Soccer signed a contract with an organization called CSB that gave CSB the profits from any potential world cup appearances, merchandise, etc. in exchange for basically $3m per year for 10 years, knowing that a new generation was coming, knowing that there might be a World Cup held in Canada. On top of that, CSB can unilaterally extend the contract for 10 more years.

It was an appalling deal that will handcuff Canada Soccer for a generation. The people who signed it need to be held accountable. But all the current issues stem from that deal.

Reactions: Bubbles

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
The new General Secretary is actually competent in terms of funding and budgeting.

The big problem is that a few years ago Canada Soccer signed a contract with an organization called CSB that gave CSB the profits from any potential world cup appearances, merchandise, etc. in exchange for basically $3m per year for 10 years, knowing that a new generation was coming, knowing that there might be a World Cup held in Canada. On top of that, CSB can unilaterally extend the contract for 10 more years.

It was an appalling deal that will handcuff Canada Soccer for a generation. The people who signed it need to be held accountable. But all the current issues stem from that deal.

I knew that. It just sucks that this is happening and will continue to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad