2024 Team Board Mock Draft

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Blackhawks have to choose between a winger for bedard or starting to fix their defense, Taking Demidov makes sense.

Hawks have been stocking cupboards for several drafts now on blueline and its starting to bear fruit

Alex Vlasic (2nd round)

Wyatt Kaiser (3rd round)
Michael Krutil (4th round) -- Will become FA as Hawks are not offering him contract this summer
Isaak Phillips (5th round)
Louis Crevier (7th round)

Nolan Allan (1st round)
Taige Harding (3rd round)
Ethan Del Mastro (4th round)
Connor Kelley (7th round) -- Hawks have to decide if they want to offer him contract this summer

Kevin Korchinski (1st round)
Sam Rinzel (1st round)

Janne Peltonen (7th round)

Vlasic has established himself as top 4 NHL defender, Korchinski finished his rookie year in NHL while Kaiser, Phillips, Crevier and now Del Mastro have all gotten feet wet in NHL

Hawks have to decide if Levshunov adds something our D pool is missing which is top pairing potential RD. Rinzel development since his draft looks promising but one can never have enough RD prospects especially potentially a blue chip prospect

Reactions: Xirik

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The Montreal vote is so interesting to me. Silayev, Buium & Dickinson are on the board yet they garnered just 16% of the vote. Iginla, Catton & Sennecke are great players but it feels like you're leaving serious talent on the board if you force for a forward. The D this year are just so much more exciting and we knew this last year. I still can't comprehend why they wouldn't take Michkov. The "he didn't want to play there" story was nonsense. He told Arizona to get lost but all credible reports said Montreal wasn't interested in the player and didn't want to wait for the contract.

Reinbacher looked good with Laval and is a solid prospect, but imagine Michkov + Silayev/Buium in the pipeline instead of Reinbacher + Iginla/Catton.

You'd think a fanbase that freaked out when they selected Carey Price over Gilbert Brule (infamously much to the chagrin of Pierre McGuire), despite having two good young goalies at the time in Jose Theodore and Mathieu Garon, would understand by now that passing up the BPA to draft for need/fit is a bad idea.

Not to mention the colossal mistake that was reaching for Kotkaniemi over Tkachuk because they needed a center.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Hawks have been stocking cupboards for several drafts now on blueline and its starting to bear fruit

Alex Vlasic (2nd round)

Wyatt Kaiser (3rd round)
Michael Krutil (4th round) -- Will become FA as Hawks are not offering him contract this summer
Isaak Phillips (5th round)
Louis Crevier (7th round)

Nolan Allan (1st round)
Taige Harding (3rd round)
Ethan Del Mastro (4th round)
Connor Kelley (7th round) -- Hawks have to decide if they want to offer him contract this summer

Kevin Korchinski (1st round)
Sam Rinzel (1st round)

Janne Peltonen (7th round)

Vlasic has established himself as top 4 NHL defender, Korchinski finished his rookie year in NHL while Kaiser, Phillips, Crevier and now Del Mastro have all gotten feet wet in NHL

Hawks have to decide if Levshunov adds something our D pool is missing which is top pairing potential RD. Rinzel development since his draft looks promising but one can never have enough RD prospects especially potentially a blue chip prospect
Starting was probably the wrong word but I meant defensemen that have 1st and 2nd pairing upside. Korchinski and Rinzel are good prospects and are definitely in that category. I was a fan of Del Mastro in his draft so I know he'll be great whatever he turns out to be. The Blackhawks definitely more high end defense prospects but not to the degree my post stated.

I guess my original theory of them leaning towards a forward in this draft might be correct.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Silayev and Dickinson exciting?

I'm not a Habs fan but I look at Kaiden Guhle and I wonder if either of those two will surpass him. They've got a lot more LD beyond that. Buium I'll give you, I'd have taken him above those three forwards.
Normally I find I'm pretty in sync with your prospect thoughts but we differ greatly on Silayev. I'd be willing to bet a lot of money I don't have that the Ducks take him at 3OA. He's the perfect fit to complement the many offensive D they have who can't play defense and aren't physical. He's Pat Verbeek wet dream.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Normally I find I'm pretty in sync with your prospect thoughts but we differ greatly on Silayev. I'd be willing to bet a lot of money I don't have that the Ducks take him at 3OA. He's the perfect fit to complement the many offensive D they have who can't play defense and aren't physical. He's Pat Verbeek wet dream.

I think Carter Yakemchuk is going to be Pat Verbeek's wet dream, just not sure I'd take him at #3. I would however take him ahead of Silayev every time.

The Ducks need to shell out for Dillon DeMelo. Not every problem should be solved through the draft.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I think Carter Yakemchuk is going to be Pat Verbeek's wet dream, just not sure I'd take him at #3. I would however take him ahead of Silayev every time.

The Ducks need to shell out for Dillon DeMelo. Not every problem should be solved through the draft.
Yakemchuk at 3OA would be a major gaffe. 13OA? sure thing. The Silayev detractors seem to believe that what he is today is all he'll ever be. The guy was 17 and played the entire year against grown men. Even Victor Hedman only had 4 points in 39 games as a 17 year-old rookie in the SHL.

Beyond Celebrini, this is a draft full of flawed players. Assuming Demidov goes 2OA, I'll take Silayev all day over all the others. There will be players that score more points but I don't believe there will be many players in this draft that will be able to impact a game (especially playoffs) like Silayev will be able to do...even with minimal growth in his game he will still be a 3/4 monster in the D zone. That's valuable.

Dillon DeMelo would be great...but he has to want to come to California. Barring overpayments, most UFA's want nothing to do with the state for a lot of good reasons.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The Silayev detractors seem to believe that what he is today is all he'll ever be. The guy was 17 and played the entire year against grown men. Even Victor Hedman only had 4 points in 39 games as a 17 year-old rookie in the SHL.

- Hedman was a proven scorer in Swedish junior before moving up to the SHL. Silayev has never been an offensive player.

- You're comparing Hedman's D-1 to Silayev's draft year, I suppose that's fine but I'm taking note of the 8 month age difference. When Hedman was as old as Silayev is now, he was in the SHL scoring a lot.

- Silayev actually played the MHL playoffs this year. I watched it. He was okay. Didn't try a single thing offensively. I can understand a player being extra cautious in the KHL. And I can understand a player trying things and experimenting, but not being able to score yet. But in the MHL, and not even trying to do anything suggests to me that this is a player who doesn't have the wiring for offense. That and his handling and small area skills are very limited so it really isn't easy for him to score.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
- Silayev actually played the MHL playoffs this year. I watched it. He was okay. Didn't try a single thing offensively. I can understand a player being extra cautious in the KHL. And I can understand a player trying things and experimenting, but not being able to score yet. But in the MHL, and not even trying to do anything suggests to me that this is a player who doesn't have the wiring for offense. That and his handling and small area skills are very limited so it really isn't easy for him to score.
I agree.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
- Hedman was a proven scorer in Swedish junior before moving up to the SHL. Silayev has never been an offensive player.

- You're comparing Hedman's D-1 to Silayev's draft year, I suppose that's fine but I'm taking note of the 8 month age difference. When Hedman was as old as Silayev is now, he was in the SHL scoring a lot.

Not going to contradict anything you said but it amazes me that CSB and McKenzie's scouts (among others) could be watching the same player! One side is going to be very wrong...

Reactions: majormajor

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Not going to contradict anything you said but it amazes me that CSB and McKenzie's scouts (among others) could be watching the same player! One side is going to be very wrong...
It’s just the degree to which you have to project development into these players. And I’d say any criticism I have of Silayev comes with a disclaimer: “for a top ten pick”. I’ve got him comfortably in my top ten. I think he’s an A+ prospect. There are elements of his game that I’m not seeing enough of right now and I have to use my crystal ball too much on. Real scouts are better at that and are apparently willing to bet on their abilities. Which is why he’s so highly rated within the top ten.

Regarding Bob’s list, it came out a week ago. I have to imagine he asked for lists a week or two or three weeks before that? And the lists he received may have been a week or two or three old? At least some of them. So I’m not totally confident that every scout McKenzie surveyed turned in a list the reflected the 2nd or 3rd rounds of the CHL playoffs or the Frozen Four, or the U18s. That would obviously have a huge influence on the results. I may be wrong. We’ll find out when the final poll gets released.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
It’s just the degree to which you have to project development into these players. And I’d say any criticism I have of Silayev comes with a disclaimer: “for a top ten pick”. I’ve got him comfortably in my top ten. I think he’s an A+ prospect. There are elements of his game that I’m not seeing enough of right now and I have to use my crystal ball too much on. Real scouts are better at that and are apparently willing to bet on their abilities. Which is why he’s so highly rated within the top ten.

Regarding Bob’s list, it came out a week ago. I have to imagine he asked for lists a week or two or three weeks before that? And the lists he received may have been a week or two or three old? At least some of them. So I’m not totally confident that every scout McKenzie surveyed turned in a list the reflected the 2nd or 3rd rounds of the CHL playoffs or the Frozen Four, or the U18s. That would obviously have a huge influence on the results. I may be wrong. We’ll find out when the final poll gets released.
Yes, I'm looking forward (as usual) to McKenzie's final list. For the Ducks specifically I think that Silayev will be a very enticing option. All their top D prospects (Mintyukov, Luneau, Zell, and LaCombe) are offensive in nature with only average defensive abilities. Adding Levshunov just adds to that mix and how many offensive defensemen does a team need? Silayev can play the right side and slot in next to Mintyukov or Zellweger and be very effective IMO...similar to the Simashev pick last year.

Anyway, I appreciate the discussion...I'm hoping that the Ducks walk away with either Demidov or Silayev at 3OA. That said, they like to pull surprises at the draft table so who knows!

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
So far for the Devils

23 votes Nygard
8 votes Helenius
6 votes Eiserman

Would be happy with Nygard or Helenius but Eiserman would be my nightmare scenario.
Given that New Jersey has an abundance of good and fantastic young players, I could see them take a chance on Eiserman's upside.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
So far for the Devils

23 votes Nygard
8 votes Helenius
6 votes Eiserman

Would be happy with Nygard or Helenius but Eiserman would be my nightmare scenario.
I would take Eiserman but consider trading down in this spot to fill the pool up more

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Given that New Jersey has an abundance of good and fantastic young players, I could see them take a chance on Eiserman's upside.
I've mentioned it before, but out of the guys who will realistically be available at 10, eiserman is probably the guy I'd have as the least likely. Think there's going to be some PTSD from holtz and I think they will want guys with a more well rounded game

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
The Montreal vote is so interesting to me. Silayev, Buium & Dickinson are on the board yet they garnered just 16% of the vote. Iginla, Catton & Sennecke are great players but it feels like you're leaving serious talent on the board if you force for a forward. The D this year are just so much more exciting and we knew this last year. I still can't comprehend why they wouldn't take Michkov. The "he didn't want to play there" story was nonsense. He told Arizona to get lost but all credible reports said Montreal wasn't interested in the player and didn't want to wait for the contract.

Reinbacher looked good with Laval and is a solid prospect, but imagine Michkov + Silayev/Buium in the pipeline instead of Reinbacher + Iginla/Catton.
it will be so funny if he plays in the nhl before reinbacher and smith.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I've mentioned it before, but out of the guys who will realistically be available at 10, eiserman is probably the guy I'd have as the least likely. Think there's going to be some PTSD from holtz and I think they will want guys with a more well rounded game
I'll take your word for it. New Jersey and Buffalo are examples of teams that afford a riskier pick with higher upside though (assuming that both teams keep them).

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Devils are going nutz for MBN. If they believe in his physicality, then ya, i can see that. Certainly more ready than a player like Sennecke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad