Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
If (big if) we can get rid of Nuke's contract the team could potentially look like this next year...

OF1y4iI.png
Trade Rants, sign Drouin.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think they'll replace Nuke with Drouin.
No, Landy

I don't think we should just assume that Nuke isn't coming back though. Or at the very least some sort of significant cap penalty.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
No, Landy

I don't think we should just assume that Nuke isn't coming back though. Or at the very least some sort of significant cap penalty.
I mean they would have had him even if Nuke stayed, so not really replacing anyone.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
And for one year it might be OK, but then in 25-26 on the 2nd pairing, the Avs would have a 34 year old Manson and........nobody. They'd get lit up.

Behrens would be roughed in next year and in 25-26, maybe he's okay as the 4 d? If not, Avs would have the 4.6m from Chychrun off the books plus whatever the cap increase is to fill that 4th d spot.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
Nuke’s foot is all f***ed up - just keep him on LTIR for the rest of his contract and let him go back to Russia to snort coke and play with AKs
LTIR manipulation is an option depending on how creative management wants to get. Maybe Val's foot is such a hinderance he cannot possibly play again and he plays along to avoid letting more of his problems go public.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
LTIR manipulation is an option depending on how creative management wants to get. Maybe Val's foot is such a hinderance he cannot possibly play again and he plays along to avoid letting more of his problems go public.
I'm pretty sure Nuke will play along with whatever gives him the most coin at this point. If he's truly addicted, he's got other priorities than playing. If he's truly committed to sobriety, I've already said it but once again, I personally fear that the lifestyle of the NHL is not helpful to someone who has struggled as mightily as he has. This isn't like Girard, who willingly went to the team and said I need help. This is a guy who got busted in the playoffs, denied he had a problem, got busted a second time and was forced into the program, got busted a third time, again in the playoffs. Completely different levels of addiction and completely different levels of wanting to get straight.

I wish Nuke well and truly hope he gets life figured out because he's got a little daughter who doesn't deserve a deadbeat father, but if he wants to play again I hope like hell it is for someone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Starting to wonder where the drugs play into this:

(18-19 ) He went a full season not scoring a single goal a Dallas.
(19-20) Nearly on his way out of the league gets his game going again.
(20-21) Numbers take a step back.
(21-22) Contract year and he steps up again and is a monster in the playoffs.
(22-23) Another step back for his numbers and the Seattle incident.
(23-24) Pulls up his socks and starts the year on fire. Another setback mid season this year. Gets it together and leads the playoffs in goals. Now this.
Thanks for validating the Nuke performance roller coaster.

I haven't any way (other than subjectively) of correlating drug use to performance. I'm just left to wonder.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
I'm pretty sure Nuke will play along with whatever gives him the most coin at this point. If he's truly addicted, he's got other priorities than playing. If he's truly committed to sobriety, I've already said my piece. I personally fear that the lifestyle of the NHL is not helpful to someone who has struggled as mightily as he has. This isn't like Girard, who willingly went to the team and said I need help. This is a guy who got busted in the playoffs, denied he had a problem, got busted a second time and was forced into the program, got busted a third time, again in the playoffs. Completely different levels of addiction and completely different levels of wanting to get straight.

I wish Nuke well and truly hope he gets life figured out because he's got a little daughter who doesn't deserve a deadbeat father, but if he wants to play again I hope like hell it is for someone else.
LTIRetirement would be the best option for trying to salvage the rest of his life. Based on his recent track record any sort of return to the NHL after the suspension is likely to end in the same result. Even if Val plays the way he was before the latest incident there is no way you can let him back on the team. I hope he can get the help he needs and that his wife has the foresight to secure a backup plan in case things go sideways.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I'm pretty sure Nuke will play along with whatever gives him the most coin at this point. If he's truly addicted, he's got other priorities than playing. If he's truly committed to sobriety, I've already said it but once again, I personally fear that the lifestyle of the NHL is not helpful to someone who has struggled as mightily as he has. This isn't like Girard, who willingly went to the team and said I need help. This is a guy who got busted in the playoffs, denied he had a problem, got busted a second time and was forced into the program, got busted a third time, again in the playoffs. Completely different levels of addiction and completely different levels of wanting to get straight.

Based on JJ comment:

"He made his choice"

Sounds like they tried everything and he still chose this. His destiny is written with the Avalanche. It's over.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
For a while there in the 90s and early 00s Robert Downey, Jr. looked like a lost cause. Repeated relapses cost him dearly. And then at some point he stayed clean and landed Iron Man and he appears to have been fine ever since. That's not to say he won't relapse in the future, because that Sword of Damocles always hangs over an recovering addict's head. Ultimately guys like Jeff Conaway and Philip Seymour Hoffman succumbed to their addictions, but not until they were sober for decades.

That said, I really do hope he gets back on his feet and his NHL career continues...but I think it'll have to be somewhere else.
Good comment. I'll also mention Bob Probert. It's a real, real tough road to maintain sobriety..... So much talent and human value wasted.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
LTIRetirement would be the best option for trying to salvage the rest of his life. Based on his recent track record any sort of return to the NHL after the suspension is likely to end in the same result. Even if Val plays the way he was before the latest incident there is no way you can let him back on the team. I hope he can get the help he needs and that his wife has the foresight to secure a backup plan in case things go sideways.

To be honest, someone going from playing in the NHL and winning Stanley Cup to forever holiday, would probably kill him. Way too much time in your hands. That would definitely cause more mess. Hockey probably kept him a bit on leash. Without hockey, he ain't going to do very well.

He needs to make this work or he will suffer rest of his life. He needs to ask for help.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
For a while there in the 90s and early 00s Robert Downey, Jr. looked like a lost cause. Repeated relapses cost him dearly. And then at some point he stayed clean and landed Iron Man and he appears to have been fine ever since. That's not to say he won't relapse in the future, because that Sword of Damocles always hangs over an recovering addict's head. Ultimately guys like Jeff Conaway and Philip Seymour Hoffman succumbed to their addictions, but not until they were sober for decades.

That said, I really do hope he gets back on his feet and his NHL career continues...but I think it'll have to be somewhere else.

Oddly enough one of the biggest positive impacts was Mel Gibson, of all people, reaching out to him and getting him involved in Air America. He wanted and did take RDJ under his wing and helped him start to figure out a new path. It's one of the reason's why RDJ keeps asking Hollywood to give him Mel Gibson a redo... He got his. With Gibson, I think he's said some reprehensible things and probably has a lot of world views I don't subscribe too, but I've also noticed that every time he's had one of these huge episodes he appears to be greatly inebriated. So maybe if he is truly recovering a second chance would be warranted. Disney took a chance on RDJ being in true recovery and I'm so thankful they did.

Good comment. I'll also mention Bob Probert. It's a real, real tough road to maintain sobriety..... So much talent and human value wasted.
The man was an absolute menace on the ice. And I mean that in a Jack Tatum kind of way...

1715736234085.png

Loved Tatum when I was around 7-10 or so. My dad like watching the Raiders, because of Madden, after his Lions lost. Probie was a favorite as violence was definitely part of the allure when I first started watching hockey. I still get conflicted with having been a fan and still a fan of the occasional fight in the NHL while knowing what we've learned since the 70s.

Last edited:

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Given how Avs players have reacted and the swiftness with which Nichushkin's name bar was removed from both Ball Arena and the practice facility. I'd say odds are quite high the org moves on this Summer. No way the players welcome him back into that room after he let them down three times now.
If this had happened before the road game, it might've been even more telling if his lockers were cleared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad