2025 NHL Draft: Baggin' for Hagens

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I really like Matthew Schaefer, he’s my favorite going into next season. I really hope Hensler puts together a great draft season in the NCAA, because I was pretty disappointed by him at the U18. But there’s a ton of big guys up front like Martone, Spence, McQueen and some great Euros like Frondell and Ryabkin that make this an exciting draft on paper so far.

We will have to draft a defenseman at some point, but let’s cross that bridge when we get there.
What do you think of Trethewey? Right now, being as early as it is, if we don't land Hagens at the top, he'd be my target. Him or Hensler would be great picks.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
What do you think of Trethewey? Right now, being as early as it is, if we don't land Hagens at the top, he'd be my target. Him or Hensler would be great picks.
Never seen him. Seems like more of a potential Vegas pick at this point, but that could change.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Much like Chicago with Bedard, having Celebrini makes it so much easier to be less nervous next year.

A franchise winger, an elite dman, a big two-way center are all viable at 3-6 overall. In 2024 draft in particular there was exactly one guy we had to have. If 2024 group minus Celebrini was the 2025 draft I'd be pretty happy to add a guy like Buium, Levshunov, Lindstrom, Demidov, or Silayev. Not over the moon, but the rebuild doesn't start until you have the franchise C or franchise D, and the D-man is easier to find. Though I'm not opposed to a trade up and grabbing one this year anyway. 2025 looks like it may have a better top 5 however.

From 2016-2025 (10 year post McDavid-era) I think Celebrini has a very real shot to be the 4th-6th best player (Matthews, Makar, Hughes, Bedard, Hagens). That's wild! We got our first ever #1 pick, but we also got an above average #1 guy.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
From 2016-2025 (10 year post McDavid-era) I think Celebrini has a very real shot to be the 4th-6th best player (Matthews, Makar, Hughes, Bedard, Hagens). That's wild! We got our first ever #1 pick, but we also got an above average #1 guy.
I wouldn't put Hagens above him yet until we see him in college. Celebrini just won the hobey baker as the youngest player while being a very sound two-way forward as well. But yeah we have a very strong 1st overall pick. Hopefully the leader of our next team.

An ideal pick next year would be Hensler, Martone, or Schaefer. Obviously I want a top D, but Martone is a kind of guy with good size and can play with anyone.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I wouldn't put Hagens above him yet until we see him in college. Celebrini just won the hobey baker as the youngest player while being a very sound two-way forward as well. But yeah we have a very strong 1st overall pick. Hopefully the leader of our next team.

An ideal pick next year would be Hensler, Martone, or Schaefer. Obviously I want a top D, but Martone is a kind of guy with good size and can play with anyone.
It's way too early to say anything at all really, but if I had to put money on it, I'd say that Hagens will score more points but Macklin might be as good or better of a centerpiece. I honestly feel the same way about Bedard (although as I said Tuesday, it's still likely the endorphins).

Macklin just plays such a sound complete game. Grier responded to the Toews comparison with Horvat and Bergeron, any of those outcomes is an incredible piece for a contender vs just a points producer.

I'm with you on Hensler, Martone, and Schaefer at this way too early juncture.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

That’s exactly the trio I was think of that I wanted next year, assuming everyone progresses well. It’s nice that we don’t have to worry about getting a center, as centers tend to be prioritized and could mean that even if we end up with like, 4th overall or something, we still get our guy.

Schaefer: smooth-skating two-way D, solid size at 6’1”
Hensler: physical shutdown RHD
Martone: the closest thing to a Tkachuk we’ve seen at the top of the draft since Brady himself

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Jux, I think you said this already, but m
Much like Chicago with Bedard, having Celebrini makes it so much easier to be less nervous next year.

A franchise winger, an elite dman, a big two-way center are all viable at 3-6 overall. In 2024 draft in particular there was exactly one guy we had to have. If 2024 group minus Celebrini was the 2025 draft I'd be pretty happy to add a guy like Buium, Levshunov, Lindstrom, Demidov, or Silayev. Not over the moon, but the rebuild doesn't start until you have the franchise C or franchise D, and the D-man is easier to find. Though I'm not opposed to a trade up and grabbing one this year anyway. 2025 looks like it may have a better top 5 however.

I came here to say the same thing. I think Jux mentioned it too - but it makes next year feel a lot less desperate. I can cheer for the Sharks knowing we’re still going to suck and have a high pick to add to our very nice pool, without having to pick THE guy — ‘cause we finally got him.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
I'm beggin' for Hagens. (Insert favorite version of Beggin' (MadCon, Maneskin, etc.))

Much better defensive pool in 2025.

As always need to see of players develop, but Hagens looks like a #1 OA. The Sharks are still going to be awful in 2024-2025 and I expect them to finish in the bottom 3 in the standings.

Need to see what Smitha nd Celebrini look like in the NHL before committing big money in UFA. The Sharks should spend to the floor and use cap space to get picks for eating up bad contracts.

Not every draft pick will be in San Jose and some will certainly fail. I think the best route of picking up good D-man if it doesn't happen in the draft is via trade of prospects/picks.

Reactions: Sandisfan

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
I'm beggin' for Hagens. (Insert favorite version of Beggin' (MadCon, Maneskin, etc.))

Much better defensive pool in 2025.

As always need to see of players develop, but Hagens looks like a #1 OA. The Sharks are still going to be awful in 2024-2025 and I expect them to finish in the bottom 3 in the standings.

Need to see what Smitha nd Celebrini look like in the NHL before committing big money in UFA. The Sharks should spend to the floor and use cap space to get picks for eating up bad contracts.

Not every draft pick will be in San Jose and some will certainly fail. I think the best route of picking up good D-man if it doesn't happen in the draft is via trade of prospects/picks.
Not sure who MadCon or Maneskin are, but this is my preferred version of Beggin'...

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007

It's way too early to say anything at all really, but if I had to put money on it, I'd say that Hagens will score more points but Macklin might be as good or better of a centerpiece. I honestly feel the same way about Bedard (although as I said Tuesday, it's still likely the endorphins).

Macklin just plays such a sound complete game. Grier responded to the Toews comparison with Horvat and Bergeron, any of those outcomes is an incredible piece for a contender vs just a points producer.

I'm with you on Hensler, Martone, and Schaefer at this way too early juncture.

That's why I said 4-6th! Not convinced Bedard will be better either. Bedard is already an elite scorer and with a better supporting cast could have proven to be a top 10 center this year. I'd be surprised if he isn't next year. With regards to the top 4, I don't see Matthews, Makar, MacKinnon, and McDavid getting passed by Celebrini, but if he does, none of us will complain!

Loving the deep dive into Celebrini's game. I think he's going to be the best offensive and defensive forward we've ever drafted. Pretty damn sweet!

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad