Prospect Info: #36 - Shai Buium

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
We are getting old, dude. The discussion is him needing to be signed after this current season. Which ends in '24. If he doesn't and goes back for his senior year he can sign with anyone he wants in '25.

That still leaves a full year to negotiate though. If he is worth signing they likely sign him between now and the end of 25.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
That still leaves a full year to negotiate though. If he is worth signing they likely sign him between now and the end of 25.
Well, the thing is there is very little to actually negotiate with an ELC. It's a "do you want to play for us or do you want to play for someone else?"

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Well, the thing is there is very little to actually negotiate with an ELC. It's a "do you want to play for us or do you want to play for someone else?"

True, but if he is worth signing, you get him signed. If he is borderline, then it won't be any big loss. Our blueline isn't exactly full for the long term, and not every college UFA is getting NHL ice time right off the hop. Don't think Buium is good enough to get guaranteed NHL ice time upon signing.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
True, but if he is worth signing, you get him signed. If he is borderline, then it won't be any big loss. Our blueline isn't exactly full for the long term, and not every college UFA is getting NHL ice time right off the hop. Don't think Buium is good enough to get guaranteed NHL ice time upon signing.
This is a two to tango situation. I don't think the Wings have any intention of just "letting" Shai peace out. But if that's what he wants, there is very little the Wings can do about it.

At that point you talk to Buium and see where he wants to play and see if that team will pony up a pick to let him get there a year early. See Fox, Adam. Not that Buium has anywhere near Fox's NCAA credentials...

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
This is a two to tango situation. I don't think the Wings have any intention of just "letting" Shai peace out. But if that's what he wants, there is very little the Wings can do about it.

How many college free agents are big stars that left their drafted team, and signed elsewhere? I can only think of Fox, and he had a only NY thing going on. Point is there aren't that many and truthfully, if a player doesn't want to play here, do we really want them?

Reactions: evolutionbaby

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
How many college free agents are big stars that left their drafted team, and signed elsewhere? I can only think of Fox, and he had a only NY thing going on. Point is there aren't that many and truthfully, if a player doesn't want to play here, do we really want them?
I think it's a Harvard thing. Vesey did the same with the Rangers.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

it was a while ago but Blake Wheeler is another one

him and Fox are the only ones that come to mind as far as stars go

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Can't this kid actually skate tho? Or am I confusing him with someone else?

A 6'3" 220lb defenseman that can move and produce at the college level should get a fairly decent look. And he wasn't a throw-away pick like a Mazur or something. 36th overall so there is clearly something believed to be there.
His skating isn't a strength, but shouldn't keep him from getting a contract at this point. The boots may be a tad on the heavy side but no worse than average for his size at this level. I can see it impacting his ability to get up in transition offensively at the next level. It has definitely improved in his three years at Denver (especially his pivots), but again is not a strength and could be his greatest limiting factor. I actually really like his forward stride mechanics now that I think about it.

Worse players get AHL contracts though

FYI Zeev is totally a different player.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
He has some
His skating isn't a strength, but shouldn't keep him from getting a contract at this point. The boots may be a tad on the heavy side but no worse than average for his size at this level. I can see it impacting his ability to get up in transition offensively at the next level. It has definitely improved in his three years at Denver (especially his pivots), but again is not a strength and could be his greatest limiting factor. I actually really like his forward stride mechanics now that I think about it.

Worse players get AHL contracts though

FYI Zeev is totally a different player.
He has some great numbers in NCAA as 17 year old

Reactions: Konnan511

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
it was a while ago but Blake Wheeler is another one

him and Fox are the only ones that come to mind as far as stars go
Not stars but Kevin Hayes was a first rounder and Justin Schultz was a top half of the second round guy that both spurned the teams that drafted them.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I don't feel it's quite the weakness some are making it out to be. I think he does pretty well due to being able to read plays well and get into position. His mobility is not bad. From the games I've seen he rarely gets caught out of position in either zone.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to conflate his value as a prospect. I didn't like the pick and I'm not sure at all about his future with the team but I haven't seen enough to write him off yet.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I don't feel it's quite the weakness some are making it out to be. I think he does pretty well due to being able to read plays well and get into position. His mobility is not bad. From the games I've seen he rarely gets caught out of position in either zone.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to conflate his value as a prospect. I didn't like the pick and I'm not sure at all about his future with the team but I haven't seen enough to write him off yet.
Skating in the NCAA is not skating in the NHL though. That's always the trick with these prospects, is projecting their skillsets to the highest level. When I watch Buium in college hockey, I see a guy who skates well enough to be good in college hockey. I even see a guy who skates well enough to get a contract. What I don't see is a guy who skates well enough to succeed in the NHL.

It can be hard to see skating deficiencies at lower levels because they aren't a problem there, the player isn't getting burned. But when I watch Buium's edges and first three steps, and project that in the NHL, I see him getting abused. I hope he improves in those areas, but improving enough to "make it" is more the exception than the rule.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Skating in the NCAA is not skating in the NHL though. That's always the trick with these prospects, is projecting their skillsets to the highest level. When I watch Buium in college hockey, I see a guy who skates well enough to be good in college hockey. I even see a guy who skates well enough to get a contract. What I don't see is a guy who skates well enough to succeed in the NHL.

It can be hard to see skating deficiencies at lower levels because they aren't a problem there, the player isn't getting burned. But when I watch Buium's edges and first three steps, and project that in the NHL, I see him getting abused. I hope he improves in those areas, but improving enough to "make it" is more the exception than the rule.
I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying. But In terms of skating Buium looks like Brian Boitano compared to Givani Smith, who earned a cup or two of coffee in the NHL. I have invested zero hopes or expectations in him, however it's not "nope" time for me yet.

My primary concern would be he wouldn't make room for himself in what is looking to be a pretty stacked blue line.

• Haha
Reactions: heyfolks

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying. But In terms of skating Buium looks like Brian Boitano compared to Givani Smith, who earned a cup or two of coffee in the NHL. I have invested zero hopes or expectations in him, however it's not "nope" time for me yet.

My primary concern would be he wouldn't make room for himself in what is looking to be a pretty stacked blue line.
Oh I agree, no need to give up on the kid completely. I think he has a very steep hill to climb though, and the odds are he doesn’t climb it. But the door’s not closed yet.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Especially given the Wings depth of young defensemen in the system, yeah.

Let’s wait and see who drafts his brother :naughty:
Let’s hold on to him until we find out which ones of those young dmen we have don’t pan out.

Reactions: GoBoltz56

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

I agree that it could be a limiting factor or could at least impact how he plays in the professional game, but I am not convinced that it is quite the death sentence that you think it is, especially when you consider his other attributes (namely size, reach and passing). Not everyone is an above average skater in the NHL (that is how numbers work after all). As someone who has watched him live a lot in the last two years, it would be very dishonest to suggest that his skating hasn't improved at all since he was drafted. His pivots are much cleaner.

If you really wanted to criticize him as a prospect, you should pick at his willingness to engage defensively (especially low in the defensive zone). He tries to let the game come to him a bit too much. He still needs to show more urgency in that regard.

There is no question that his brother moves better than him, but he is also a lot smaller (even at the same age).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad