Prospect Info: 61st overall Egor Sokolov LW, CB, QMJHL

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We didn't see much of him but in the limited amount we saw, we didn't see much.

I didn't see anything that says to me he can play at an NHL pace.

I think the obvious miss was by David Poile.
Who is David Poile to me?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Who is David Poile to me?
I have no idea who he is to you. For all I know that could be your neighbour's name. But generally speaking in hockey circles, he's known to be the GM of the Nashville Predators

He drafted Tolvanen in 2017. Tolvanen spent years in the Nashville system including many games in the NHL. If it was obvious that Tolvanen was an NHL player, wouldn't Nashville be the team that should be aware of that?

Poile acknowledged his mistake

Predators' Poile: Waiving Tolvanen 'could be a mistake on our part'

You might consider that sometimes these things aren't so obvious. If they were, somebody in the Nashville system should have pleaded for him to not be put on waivers. If it was really obvious, no one would have needed to plead in the first place.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I have no idea who he is to you. For all I know that could be your neighbour's name. But generally speaking in hockey circles, he's known to be the GM of the Nashville Predators

He drafted Tolvanen in 2017. Tolvanen spent years in the Nashville system including many games in the NHL. If it was obvious that Tolvanen was an NHL player, wouldn't Nashville be the team that should be aware of that?

Poile acknowledged his mistake

Predators' Poile: Waiving Tolvanen 'could be a mistake on our part'

You might consider that sometimes these things aren't so obvious. If they were, somebody in the Nashville system should have pleaded for him to not be put on waivers. If it was really obvious, no one would have needed to plead in the first place.
I care about Pierre dorions moves. I don’t care about David Poiles.

It was a miss by Dorion and his staff. Saying “well other teams made the mistake too” doesn’t affect me.

Reactions: Bileur and DrEasy

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Tolvanen is trash. He has inflated production due to a shooting percentage heater once he landed in Seattle - the guy has 17 actual goals on 10xG. Luckbox.

Assuming his shot metrics fall back to where they've always been, he's a 30 point player that needs 2+ minutes of PP time to even reach that pathetic total.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Tolvanen is trash. He has inflated production due to a shooting percentage heater once he landed in Seattle - the guy has 17 actual goals on 10xG. Luckbox.

Assuming his shot metrics fall back to where they've always been, he's a 30 point player that needs 2+ minutes of PP time to even reach that pathetic total.
30 points is fine for the third line.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I care about Pierre dorions moves. I don’t care about David Poiles.

It was a miss by Dorion and his staff. Saying “well other teams made the mistake too” doesn’t affect me.
You're assuming it's a miss. It very well may be that the Sens evaluated the player and chose not to put in a waiver claim. I would in fact bet on this.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You're assuming it's a miss. It very well may be that the Sens evaluated the player and chose not to put in a waiver claim. I would in fact bet on this.
Yes. I’m assuming they also did see him on waivers and decide not to claim him…which would be a miss.

When I say “miss” I don’t mean like they literally missed his name

Reactions: Bileur and DrEasy

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Tolvanen could've been the next Rudolfs Balcers!

Picking up guys on waivers is like drafting in the 4th round. Every once in a while a guy hits and everybody freaks out that their team should've picked him up. And pretty much all the guys that look good for a red hot minute are flawed, hence the reason they were on waivers in the first place.

Sens passed on Tolvanen at the draft and on waivers. I think they don't like him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Tough to really evaluate the guy with what, 7 mins total icetime and a ton of penalties early on. Hopefully next game he gets he can get a rhythm but for someone who isn't an energy guy games like that are brutal.

It's too bad because he seems like a really good kid.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah very obvious miss my dorion on that one. I would really like to know the rational on some moves. But I was told by hf Sens tolvanen was just an offensive ahler
Instead Dorion goes out to get an AHL player in Brown with little to no offense. Lower salary I guess.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Eh, we’ll see. Balcers was also a grand miss too, and the list goes on and on and on.

There is always a reason why guys are in waivers.
Not saying he’s. Along term answer. At that point we needed help scoring. Our pp was suffering. Pinto was up in the top 6. It should have been an easy claim. And easy flip out

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Not saying he’s. Along term answer. At that point we needed help scoring. Our pp was suffering. Pinto was up in the top 6. It should have been an easy claim. And easy flip out
If he’s owed money next season it may be the reason? We’ll be tight to the cap for one year.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Instead Dorion goes out to get an AHL player in Brown with little to no offense. Lower salary I guess.
Yeah, seriously. I have no issue with dorion passing on tolvanen, but then adding a nothing player like brown is a headscratcher.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Would be interesting to watch a Gauthier - Kastelic - Sokolov 4th line next yr. All right shots, we have another line playing tonight with all right shots in DBC - Pinto - Batherson.

Reactions: Cosmix

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Tkachuk - Stutzle - Giroux
DBC - Norris - Batherson
Greig - Pinto - Sokolov
Ostapchuk - Kastelic - Gauthier/Kelly

Use Brann, Joseph, Thomson & a pick to get a goalie.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
He's promising in many ways but he has one big issue that could make the rest of his talents moot
We've built a team identity that's kind of the opposite of his playstyle, so I feel like he sticks out a little, but there are plenty of players around the league who are still successful despite their lack of speed. I also feel like it's an endurance thing with Sokolov too, and not really "speed".

The way he boxes into the crease is an NHL talent right there already. He just sets up.

Reactions: asw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad