Prospect Info: 9OA: Nate Danielson

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
So basically every hockey player from juniors to NHL got mono because they like to share their puck bunnies. Seriously, I mean how else are they getting sick this time of the year?!?!?
Influenza is actually going around quite a bit, but lately it's been more cough/chest-based than stomach-based. And I'm currently fighting through either that or bronchitis.

Your don't expect May to be like that, but it can happen.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I’d take a late round flyer on Nguyen. He’s been good with Nate.
I see you mocking my post from the draft saying "3C ceiling" lol, I'll own up to it, looks like a brutal take at the moment...

I was impressed with how he elevated his game this year down the stretch and into the playoffs, but I mean, you can't really make fun of that post until he actually becomes a 2c or better in the NHL. It's very likely at this point, but it will still take 2-3 (or more years) for my statement to be wrong. Definitely a bit reactionary from me at the time, but there is still a chance that he maxes out as a 3c in the NHL. Hopefully I was very wrong at the draft last year.

I'll admit, I've had some brutal takes on Wings first rounders over the years. (hated the Ras pick in 17, LOVED the Zadina pick in 18, was confused with Mo in 19, LOVED Raymond in 20, was fine with Ed in 21, thought Kasper in 22 was too safe of a pick and didnt love Nate last year) I do research the draft quite a bit, and spend a lot of time watching video and researching prospects, but I've leaned that a pretty big "casual' fan like me has nowhere near the knowledge of the people who do it for a living.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Influenza is actually going around quite a bit, but lately it's been more cough/chest-based than stomach-based. And I'm currently fighting through either that or bronchitis.

Your don't expect May to be like that, but it can happen.

My whole house was knocked down by strep two weeks ago and the youngest missed this past week of pre-k with parvo b19. The rash is quickly receding, thankfully.

Reactions: jkutswings

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I see you mocking my post from the draft saying "3C ceiling" lol, I'll own up to it, looks like a brutal take at the moment...

I was impressed with how he elevated his game this year down the stretch and into the playoffs, but I mean, you can't really make fun of that post until he actually becomes a 2c or better in the NHL. It's very likely at this point, but it will still take 2-3 (or more years) for my statement to be wrong. Definitely a bit reactionary from me at the time, but there is still a chance that he maxes out as a 3c in the NHL. Hopefully I was very wrong at the draft last year.

I'll admit, I've had some brutal takes on Wings first rounders over the years. (hated the Ras pick in 17, LOVED the Zadina pick in 18, was confused with Mo in 19, LOVED Raymond in 20, was fine with Ed in 21, thought Kasper in 22 was too safe of a pick and didnt love Nate last year) I do research the draft quite a bit, and spend a lot of time watching video and researching prospects, but I've leaned that a pretty big "casual' fan like me has nowhere near the knowledge of the people who do it for a living.

Yeah, that Zadina pick is the one that really bites us. He wasn't my first choice (was a big Dobson fan) but was still excited about it. And then he just never took off.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yeah, that Zadina pick is the one that really bites us. He wasn't my first choice (was a big Dobson fan) but was still excited about it. And then he just never took off.
Absolutely. I was definitely pulling for Dobson as well, but if Zadina had even become a solid second line winger, that's one less hole in the lineup.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
letsss gooo

He's played a lot of hockey this year, but getting meaningful pro games should help his development
Lets hope the suckage on that GR power play isnt contagious.

Very much looking forward to Nate getting some action. I'm still a Benson man and would love for Nate to change my mind on that.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
So basically every hockey player from juniors to NHL got mono because they like to share their puck bunnies. Seriously, I mean how else are they getting sick this time of the year?!?!?

They get sick by spending 15 hours together on a bus with recycled air pumping through the coffin on wheels. Then coughing into each other's faces after practice, in the non-sterile environment of a cramped visiting team's dressing room. Then checking into a cheap hotel where they share buffet style breakfasts in a dubious dining room staffed by former prisoners and drug rehab work placements. The only players likely to escape the germ warfare are those lucky enough to have an established out-of-town puck bunny in place. An empty suburban three-BR house is a refuge man, even if just for a couple hours.

• Haha
Reactions: Gniwder

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Yup, that one and Moose really hurt. Pushed the timeline back significantly. When Stevie took over I thought that we'd be a cup contender by 2025. But that was based on the asssumption that Zadina was gonna be very good and Moose a power forward you can put on L2. If those 2 hit, we would have gone into last season with a complete top 6. Instead we are still 2 top 6 players short. And that is why I don't panic about Stevie's plan. Most GMs who take over rebuilding teams have some impact players already in the system. It turned out Stevie basically had nothing and had to plant all seeds himself.

Big question if he becomes team top 2 centers, if not , he could be top 6 player as a wing ,same as Rasmussen.
Moose is not a top 6 player by any stretch.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Yup, that one and Moose really hurt. Pushed the timeline back significantly. When Stevie took over I thought that we'd be a cup contender by 2025. But that was based on the asssumption that Zadina was gonna be very good and Moose a power forward you can put on L2. If those 2 hit, we would have gone into last season with a complete top 6. Instead we are still 2 top 6 players short. And that is why I don't panic about Stevie's plan. Most GMs who take over rebuilding teams have some impact players already in the system. It turned out Stevie basically had nothing and had to plant all seeds himself.

Moose is not a top 6 player by any stretch.
Pretty sure Ras could be second line wing, it's all on coach

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
What makes you think that?
I actually think this to some degree as well, because I do think he could be a good complimentary winger in a top 6 role if we had the right people to play with him.

I could see something like a Ray-Nate-Ras line being something potentially used in the future. Ras is not going to do well on a 5 on 5 line with N/S guys like Larkin though. What Ras is good at is cycling down low and standing in front of the net. His skating, while better, is not made at all of breakout plays.

I'd like to see him as a netfront presence on PP2. The Wings PP is massively predictable because we have zero net front presence. So the other team knows we are always trying to work the puck down low and have no plans to shoot from the point.

As for Nate, I'm excited to see what he can do in GR, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they just have him practice with the team unless there is an injury. If he does get into a game I'm thinking its the Van Andel game if they lose game 2. Hard to make lineup changes to a team that won on the road in game 1.

If they lose game 2 though I could see Ammo getting subbed for him to give that 4th line a better defensive presence.

Reactions: lilidk

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I actually think this to some degree as well, because I do think he could be a good complimentary winger in a top 6 role if we had the right people to play with him.

I could see something like a Ray-Nate-Ras line being something potentially used in the future. Ras is not going to do well on a 5 on 5 line with N/S guys like Larkin though. What Ras is good at is cycling down low and standing in front of the net. His skating, while better, is not made at all of breakout plays.
I actually think that could be a dynamic line. Ras gets two super hard working, fast, cerebral players who can help drive his cycle work and maybe he starts getting more assertive in front of the net doing so

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

I'd like to see him as a netfront presence on PP2. The Wings PP is massively predictable because we have zero net front presence. So the other team knows we are always trying to work the puck down low and have no plans to shoot from the point.

As for Nate, I'm excited to see what he can do in GR, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they just have him practice

with the team unless there is an injury. If he does get into a game I'm thinking its the Van Andel game if they lose game 2. Hard to make lineup changes to a team that won on the road in game 1.

If they lose game 2 though I could see Ammo getting subbed for him to give that 4th line a better defensive presence.
I prefer Raymond with Larkin . How about
Rasmussen Danielson Mazur line.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Danielson is set to join the Griffins as they continue their march through the Calder Cup Playoffs, where they hold a 1-0 series in their best-of-five Central Division Finals series against the Milwaukee Admirals.

Game two of that series will be Monday night in Milwaukee, and per GR coach Dan Watson, it could become Danielson's professional debut, saying,“He’s an option [for Game 2]. Obviously, he finished the other night, traveled back and now he’s going to travel here. We’ll talk to him, see how he’s feeling…See if he can be up to speed with us, but he’s certainly a good option for us for the lineup.”

Watson added of Danielson, “I got to see him through Red Wings Training Camp. Smart player. He thinks the game extremely well. He’s a smooth skater. He does have good skill.”

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/detro...g-red-wings-prospect-danielson-joins-griffins

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Ras is still a work in progress, imo. Yeah, the time is running out, but I don't think it's beyond the pale that he still becomes a consistent 20+ goal guy who uses his size at least a little. When we drafted him, though, I saw him more as a home run swing. Might be less likely to hit his peak than others drafted after him but, if he did his his peak...we'd have gotten a crazy good player. Ras had the possibility of being something really special and I'm pretty okay taking that swing even if it doesn't work out perfectly. TBH, it's what we did with Seider.

I'm way more disappointed in Zadina who I'm not sure is even reaching what a lot of us thought would be a floor for him. I mean, I'm not even sure it's fair to say he's a legit NHLer at this point, but just someone who can catch on with the worst teams.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I prefer Raymond with Larkin . How about
Rasmussen Danielson Mazur line.
I like Ray with Larkin too but as they are our best offensive players, I'd like to see if they can each drive their own line. You can always reunite those guys when down a goal. I think something like the below gives you two lines that can score, has a nice balance of shooting, playmaking, and grit. It also gives you one line that is more of a N/S off the rush change generator and one that plays more of a cycle game.

Mazur plays a lot like Bert and he and Larkin had great chemistry together, so I think we could re-create that.

DBC-Larkin-Mazur
Ras- Danielson- Ray

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I like Ray with Larkin too but as they are our best offensive players, I'd like to see if they can each drive their own line. You can always reunite those guys when down a goal. I think something like the below gives you two lines that can score, has a nice balance of shooting, playmaking, and grit. It also gives you one line that is more of a N/S off the rush change generator and one that plays more of a cycle game.

Mazur plays a lot like Bert and he and Larkin had great chemistry together, so I think we could re-create that.

DBC-Larkin-Mazur
Ras- Danielson- Ray
Why not to try that and see what happens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad