HF Habs: A thread for the old fart that we are, 50 years old and counting, younger guy's feel free to chip in too

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Yeah I was born in 95 so I've never seen anything impressive , aside from CP31

I was seriously so miserable in the 90's watching this team, I'm a treat now compared to those days. I used to get booted from the AOL chatrooms in the mid-late 90's so often they actually cancelled my monthly membership :(

If you ever check out Spector's Hockey blog, he and I were like the OG's of the Montreal Message board on AOL! Yikes!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah I was born in 95 so I've never seen anything impressive , aside from CP31
Since Roy it’s been a wasteland. We had a window in the 2010s but brought in the exact wrong GM who brought in the exact wrong coach. Subban and Price were HOF caliber players and we had a good support group. We weren’t far off. But of course… we f***ed it up.

At least Price took us to a finals. He’s a blue chip HOFer. But he’s the only one we’ve had (apart from player pits stops) in that time.

Reactions: Habs7631 and BLONG7

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Chipping in I'm not there yet, only ~3 more years to go. I'm kinda fed up, I just want to build a log cabin.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Former Hab Rick Green was on Habs Inside Out other day. He was #1 overall pick in 1976. His signing bonus was $25,000. He went to buy a Cadillac. The dealer said he would get more girls with a Corvette. So first thing he bought was brand new Corvette for $6,800.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3rd Username

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I remember getting mad at some of my friends in the 80s that became bangwagoners cheering for the Islanders or Oilers when they started winning championships. I was a teen and figured you don't turn your back on your team cause you go through a few years without winning anything, didn't expect it to last 3 decades and now too far down the rabbit hole to back out and cheer for anyone else.

I really don't understand how anyone under the age of 30 would be a Habs fan though, must be hereditary

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
the first game i remember watching was against Québec, let me tell you, it was like watching wwe on skate

No wonder i like big physical team

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I remember getting mad at some of my friends in the 80s that became bangwagoners cheering for the Islanders or Oilers when they started winning championships. I was a teen and figured you don't turn your back on your team cause you go through a few years without winning anything, didn't expect it to last 3 decades and now too far down the rabbit hole to back out and cheer for anyone else.

I really don't understand how anyone under the age of 30 would be a Habs fan though, must be hereditary

When I come out to games in Vancouver with the Habs in town, it's not just the number of red jerseys that catches your eye, as much as how many young people are wearing them.

Definitely, it gets passed down in some cases.... other cases don't have an explanation. It was passed down to me as well although i have no personal link to quebec.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Cool thread. I'm 37 and my first game at the Forum was Mario Tremblay's first game as head coach lol. Habs scored with like a second left to win it against the Leafs. Was the only game I ever saw at the old Forum.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
If Lafleur never smoked would his play held up a few more seasons before fall off in '81?
I remember Wayne Gretzky talking about possibly retiring in the late-80s (before he was traded to LA). He mentioned that Lafleur, Dionne and Perreault all came in at roughly the same time and that Lafleur was the best of the three but his production fell off well before it did for Dionne and Perreault. 99 mentioned it was likely because of burnout as Lafleur played in a higher pressure market and played in a lot more playoff games.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I remember Wayne Gretzky talking about possibly retiring in the late-80s (before he was traded to LA). He mentioned that Lafleur, Dionne and Perreault all came in at roughly the same time and that Lafleur was the best of the three but his production fell off well before it did for Dionne and Perreault. 99 mentioned it was likely because of burnout as Lafleur played in a higher pressure market and played in a lot more playoff games.
Yup, I don't know. Dangers of smoking wasn't known back in '70s. I imagine it costs Lafleur a prime year or two.

Lafleur use to drink quite a bit also. Montreal nightlife is like none other in league. For rich star it was another factor in his early demise.

If Lafleur kept himself better probably be known as one of greatest ever. Maybe still with us today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad