Player Discussion: Adam Fantilli

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Interesting little story about Fantilli and his usage so far;
The “rookie wall” is a real phenomenon.

Be it NCAA grads, Canadian juniors or European pros making the leap to the show, no young player is fully prepared for the NHL’s 82-game gauntlet, with its relentless travel schedule and limited breath-catching breaks.

An assistant coach for years, Columbus bench boss Pascal Vincent has seen many a freshman lose energy around the all-star break.

Vincent is betting teenager Adam Fantilli can be an exception, however.

“Because of his maturity and he’s physically strong already,” Vincent said, “I don’t know if he’s going to hit that wall.”

To help the franchise’s prized centreman hurdle that wall, to ease the mental toll of the grind, Vincent tries to put Fantilli in positions to succeed. That means sheltering him from the opposition’s top line or throwing him out for offensive-zone draws.

“We feel very fortunate to have him. Obviously, when you get those guys, it’s because your season wasn’t so good. But the bright side is, he’s one of us now. The young man is a powerful man as far as his physical abilities, but the one thing we don’t talk about enough is his mental strength,” Vincent said.

“He’s a very mature young man. Any he’s got this swagger. Like, he’s got this confidence — and not in the negative way whatsoever. He’s a very positive force, carrying this confidence that he can play at this level and be a difference-maker already. And he’s done it.

“He’s like a sponge — just really coachable. So, he’s a big component of our future and our present right now. He’s been adjusting really well.”

Fantilli himself said the nonstop travel has been the greatest challenge.

Ranked second in rookie scoring, Fantilli had a blast living with Patrik Laine for the first couple weeks and has gone for dinners with his more-seasoned teammates, picking the brains of the team’s veterans — Zach Werenski, Sean Kuraly, Erik Gudbranson — for advice on how to best take care of his body

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I love his enthusiasm and his edge. Combined with his skillset, I think he can be a Keith Tzachuk who isn't a coward and plays edgy but with dignity and will fight his own battles. Gubranson took care of business last night but it wasn't as if Fantilli was pulling a Tzachuk disappearing/turtling act.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I love his enthusiasm and his edge. Combined with his skillset, I think he can be a Keith Tzachuk who isn't a coward and plays edgy but with dignity and will fight his own battles. Gubranson took care of business last night but it wasn't as if Fantilli was pulling a Tzachuk disappearing/turtling act.

He’s the perfect player to wear the C next.

He’s exactly someone you want to build around

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I see more of a Mark Messier when Fantilli is flying down the wing. Nasty and fast. Tkachuk was slow and about Voronkov's weight.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I see more of a Mark Messier when Fantilli is flying down the wing. Nasty and fast. Tkachuk was slow and about Voronkov's weight.
I'll settle for that!

I saw Messier play when he was 17 years old for the WHA Cincinnati Stingers. One goal in 47 games. I was too young to see it, but those in the know were pretty convinced that Messier was going to be an impact player despite his modest stats.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Fantilli posted 7-6-13 in December, all at even strength apparently.

There are 10 NHL games tomorrow, including Chicago, but for now, Fantilli leads all rookies in the month of December in goals, even strength goals, and even strength points. He's likely to be 3rd in assists and 2nd in points, only one (for now) behind Bedard. He's won about 9% more of his faceoffs than Bedard and among rookies actually playing center ranked around 8th in FO %.

And he played about 5 minutes per night less than Bedard.

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
I'll settle for that!

I saw Messier play when he was 17 years old for the WHA Cincinnati Stingers. One goal in 47 games. I was too young to see it, but those in the know were pretty convinced that Messier was going to be an impact player despite his modest stats.
The Stingers….. I listened to games on WLW with Andy MacWilliams on the call….

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The Stingers….. I listened to games on WLW with Sndy MacWilliams on the call….
Andy Mac was the man. I used to listen to him on the sly in my bed for late night road games. A couple of my high school buddies and I still remember and imitate some of his calls. He ended up leaving the Stingers after 3 years to go to the Chicago Blackhawks.

Interesting Andy Mac tidbit:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Andy Mac was the man. I used to listen to him on the sly in my bed for late night road games. A couple of my high school buddies and I still remember and imitate some of his calls. He ended up leaving the Stingers after 3 years to go to the Chicago Blackhawks.

Interesting Andy Mac tidbit:

Loved the Costas / Andy Mac. I remember Andy Mac on WLW not so much because hockey, rather just his other sports contributions on the station. it was interesting to hear his connection to Costas. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Hey fellas. How are you guys feeling about Fantilli so far this year? What kind of projections do you have for him over the next couple seasons and when he hits his prime? I just saw some MacKinnon comparisons. Anyone else? I have a chance to acquire him in a fantasy dynasty league in a package where I give up Heiskanen so I want to get some more info. Thanks for any insight.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I don't think he'll be a consistent top 10 player like MacKinnon is now but a tier below. But, MacKinnon didn't reach his current high level till his fifth NHL season, he had a great rookie year but was inconsistent the next three. I can see Fantilli following a similar path just not hitting the same high.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Wonder if anyone has suggested Gary Roberts physical training to him yet? To avoid injuries, you know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad