Confirmed with Link: Adin Hill traded to Vegas for 2024 4th Round Pick

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Yeah I still think the real mistake was trading for him in the first place when anyone with eyes could see the team was going to be bad regardless of goaltending. I’d rather have whoever we would have drafted 43rd overall last year in the system right now instead of ever taking the chance on Hill.
Didn't they just need someone not named Jone5 in net at that point? If for no other reason than team morale?
DW was trying to sneak the Sharks into the playoffs as a bubble team, and replacing a failing Jones was necessary to do that. Now if you want to argue that Wilson still pushing for the playoffs rather than embracing a full rebuild being the mistake, I would agree. After Jumbo was gone, there was no reason to push for the playoffs anymore.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
I wish we had just kept Jones tbh. I doubt our goaltending the last two seasons would have been much worse and we wouldn’t have his buyout cap hit on the books until 2027.

But even if we had to buy him out, we could have easily just signed another UFA goalie alongside Reimer instead of trading a 2nd.
I get it. I feel like the Sharks just needed a different goalie... Jones had too many stinkers with the current team.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Vegas would’ve won with Jones in net and made him look good. It just so happens that our defense makes okay goalies look horrific. If there’s one thing I’d focus on, if I was Grier, it’s how to entirely rebuild our D-corp now and for the future — I suspect it’s what he’s going to do in the offseason.

Reactions: Le Grand Quebecois

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
No, you are still correct that trading Hill was the right move. Hill doesn't get the Sharks into the playoffs and he isn't going to be starter material by the time the rebuild is done. Might as well get a pick. Plenty of below-average goalies get a team a cup and plenty of below-average goalies look legit under certain coaching systems.

5D chess... Hill now gets a better contract than he is worth and doesnt live up to it

Ala Martin Jones

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I wish we had just kept Jones tbh. I doubt our goaltending the last two seasons would have been much worse and we wouldn’t have his buyout cap hit on the books until 2027.

But even if we had to buy him out, we could have easily just signed another UFA goalie alongside Reimer instead of trading a 2nd.

The Sharks would probably have the 1st pick of this draft too.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
No, you are still correct that trading Hill was the right move. Hill doesn't get the Sharks into the playoffs and he isn't going to be starter material by the time the rebuild is done. Might as well get a pick. Plenty of below-average goalies get a team a cup and plenty of below-average goalies look legit under certain coaching systems.
Nemo his name forevermore.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
Yeah I still think the real mistake was trading for him in the first place when anyone with eyes could see the team was going to be bad regardless of goaltending. I’d rather have whoever we would have drafted 43rd overall last year in the system right now instead of ever taking the chance on Hill.
Yup, the Hill and Lane Pederson deals were the moment I completely lost faith in DW.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
Vegas would’ve won with Jones in net and made him look good. It just so happens that our defense makes okay goalies look horrific. If there’s one thing I’d focus on, if I was Grier, it’s how to entirely rebuild our D-corp now and for the future — I suspect it’s what he’s going to do in the offseason.
This 100%.
I think that's the reason MG has build a very solid team before even thinking about the goalie situation. As much as I hate it, Vegas build their team the way that they can almost have an empty net the whole game and still win (Not literally).
Build the team first, and roll the goalie carousel with it until you a find a match.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
This 100%.
I think that's the reason MG has build a very solid team before even thinking about the goalie situation. As much as I hate it, Vegas build their team the way that they can almost have an empty net the whole game and still win (Not literally).
Build the team first, and roll the goalie carousel with it until you a find a match.

Yep. I also think Vegas is a prime example of how Grier wants the Sharks to play. Super aggressive, fast, etc etc

Reactions: mogambomoroo

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Yep. I also think Vegas is a prime example of how Grier wants the Sharks to play. Super aggressive, fast, etc etc

The Las Vegas route to the cup is probably not available to Grier. I don't think the ownership would let him carry a high payroll via LTIR. He's going to have do it the old fashion way.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
The Las Vegas route to the cup is probably not available to Grier. I don't think the ownership would let him carry a high payroll via LTIR. He's going to have do it the old fashion way.

I think ownership would absolutely let him do that, Hasso is a multibillionaire. If they actually built a real contender and Hertl got “really injured” til the playoffs, I don’t think Hasso would mind at all.

We’re very far from that scenario though!

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I think ownership would absolutely let him do that, Hasso is a multibillionaire. If they actually built a real contender and Hertl got “really injured” til the playoffs, I don’t think Hasso would mind at all.

He is a billionaire, but he is also an owner that needs a perfect season of sellouts and multiple rounds of the playoffs just to have a chance at breaking even for revenue. Removing millions in revenue for a kick at a cup might sound nice as a fan, but not really an owner.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
He is a billionaire, but he is also an owner that needs a perfect season of sellouts and multiple rounds of the playoffs just to have a chance at breaking even for revenue. Removing millions in revenue for a kick at a cup might sound nice as a fan, but not really an owner.
The Ottawa freaking Senators just sold for nearly a billion dollars. The money in pro sports ownership isn’t about the revenue anymore, it’s about franchise value appreciation. Hasso paid something like $150 million for his stake in the Sharks. It’s not crazy to think he could sell for 10x that amount within the decade, especially if the new Google development increases the value of the SAP Center land.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
The Ottawa freaking Senators just sold for nearly a billion dollars. The money in pro sports ownership isn’t about the revenue anymore, it’s about franchise value appreciation. Hasso paid something like $150 million for his stake in the Sharks. It’s not crazy to think he could sell for 10x that amount within the decade, especially if the new Google development increases the value of the SAP Center land.

Not to mention posting a loss helps him write off millions in taxes. I think the team is his hobby and he’s willing to spend to get them to win the cup — he is insanely rich. The Sharks are pocket change.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

They would have been doing that already, if what you say is true.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
They would have been doing that already, if what you say is true.

What do you mean? They literally made Karlsson the highest paying defenseman in the league. Are you saying they should’ve cheated the LTIR system? I mean… it doesn’t feel like DW’s MO.

Also, to give Vegas some credit, it sounds like Stone actually is pretty messed up.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

Grier will likely be better at building a defensive core compared to DW. That was DW's achilles heal. Interesting since he was a defenseman in the NHL prior, imo.

Sharks need guys that actually play defense, not as a part time gig to offense. They need a shutdown pairing. It would make goalies look better too.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Grier will likely be better at building a defensive core compared to DW. That was DW's achilles heal. Interesting since he was a defenseman in the NHL prior, imo.

Sharks need guys that actually play defense, not as a part time gig to offense. They need a shutdown pairing. It would make goalies look better too.
Vlasic-Braun used to be a pretty effective pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad