Player Discussion: Alexandre Texier

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
In the above article:

Right but he's not actually quoted, that's my point. This reads to me more like Tex made a super canned non-committal answer being over interpreted that was relayed indirectly to whomever wrote this. What did he actually say?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LJ7

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
Sometimes [EDIT - MOST TIMES RECENTLY]I think JK is the arrogant one - he takes a candid conversation and pushes it one step further in the media than how the conversation actually happened. JK should do less talking to the media, imo. I've though JK's doing ok with drafting, trades, etc. but his people skills (or more precisely lack thereof) are starting to wear thin on me. {EDIT - Some of this colored by Gavrikov's comments in an Athletic article yesterday (or today) that he got tired of hearing all the bad things about him last summer during negotiations. You can negotiate hard without tearing down your player...JK either hands out the contract like candy or plays stupid hardball, with no in between....hmmmmm, no gray area comment arising again].
Have to say I'm with you. I wasn't aware of Gavrikov's comments, but it tracks with the past. Jarmo's "we have the hammer" comment from however long ago always rang to me as someone who isn't looking through both the short and long lens in his reactions and interactions.

Apparently Gavrikov's negotiations took on a similar shine, with the org making a case by negativity rather than positivity (of course, we have only one side of the story but like I said: it tracks).

As for Texier, the loss of a good player is never to be "whatever'd" and I think we're short-selling how much of an upgrade Tex would be over Ros, who I think is gone before next season. Tex is a pretty well perfect player in terms of his age and play style to fit in with what this team needs. I hope he comes back, but I've always thought we'd seen the last of him once he decided to stay in Europe.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Poor pr management when jarmo keeps saying one thing and tex continues to be "undecided". And tex starts to come off a bit arrogant or wishy washy or whatever, if I were jarmo I'd be looking elsewhere just to be able to plan for next season.

The Swiss season is almost over and per Porty, Texier wants to talk to the media after that season is done. So the Blue Jackets will know Tex's plans [if they don't already] before any other decisions have to be made.

I assume Jarmo talks to his agent, and got the different message from that route. A weird situation, but it's not like Tex is a guaranteed top 6 guy, so not a big issue from CBJ standpoint

I think it's a big issue. We don't have a lot of versatile grit+skill guys that can fit in anywhere in the lineup. Actually do we have anyone, lol? You need skilled players with forechecking ability.

Of course it does and I’ve always allowed that it’s his decision to make and that we can’t know what’s right for him.

The trouble we have at this juncture though is that Jarmo told us one thing a couple weeks ago and Tex seems to be telling us something different now. It’s either an issue with Jarmo or with Tex.

More likely Tex has his own idea about when he wants to go public with the news. Hopefully Jarmo isn't pissing him off too, lol.

Not that he's correct, but on Portzline's pod this week he was asked about this and he indicated that Tex said he was holding off on any discussing with media, although he may have said Columbus media, out of respect for his current team. When the season is over for him he said he'll interview with AP. He felt strongly he's coming but I guess it gives us more to bitch about.

That makes sense to me. Porty was confident that Tex wouldn't want to interview with him if he wasn't coming back. I'm not sure about that but it's probably true.

Sometimes [EDIT - MOST TIMES RECENTLY]I think JK is the arrogant one - he takes a candid conversation and pushes it one step further in the media than how the conversation actually happened. JK should do less talking to the media, imo. I've thought JK's doing ok with drafting, trades, etc. but his people skills (or more precisely lack thereof) are starting to wear thin on me. {EDIT - Some of this colored by Gavrikov's comments in an Athletic article yesterday (or today) that he got tired of hearing all the bad things about him last summer during negotiations. You can negotiate hard without tearing down your player...JK either hands out the contract like candy or plays stupid hardball, with no in between....hmmmmm, no gray area comment arising again].

Oh my God how do you go and piss off Gavi.

Reactions: Easternbull

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I think it's a big issue. We don't have a lot of versatile grit+skill guys that can fit in anywhere in the lineup. Actually do we have anyone, lol? You need skilled players with forechecking ability.
Do you see Tex as grit guy? Interestring, because that's not at all the picture I have of him in my head. I do recall some nice aggressive forechecking which i liked, but I think that's a bit different. But it's been +1,5 years since I've seen him play, tbf. Don't think I've ever watched a single NLA game

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Do you see Tex as grit guy? Interestring, because that's not at all the picture I have of him in my head. I do recall some nice aggressive forechecking which i liked, but I think that's a bit different. But it's been +1,5 years since I've seen him play, tbf. Don't think I've ever watched a single NLA game

Yeah he's a beast in the corners. He can go all shift behind the net. Big battle level.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I love how instately and strongly people can feel about something as soon as they hear something. Generally on the negative side anyway

I can only speak for myself, but I'm totally tired about the speculation around Tex. I don't know what they had talked with and agreed on with Jarmo, so it might be this one is actually on him.

I've always been defending Tex re his decision to go play closer to home, and been hoping he'll come back, but after hearing Jarmo basically say he'll be here next season and then not that long after another "nothing is decided yet" from Tex, I basically got to a point where I don't care anymore, frankly pissed me off a bit.

Either it's bad pr by Jarmo or Texier giving him vague or changing answers - or both. But hearing again "nothing is decided yet" and how he's rediscovered his enjoyment of hockey or whatever playing in Europe makes it sound like maybe he's better off staying there or just isn't happy with CBJ for whatever reason. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but doesn't leave me with a good taste about his CBJ future.

Reactions: DJA

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
The CBJ should trade the Frenchman's rights to Montreal. Or if you want to screw over the kid, trade him to Philly. I've said it before and a lot of people don't want to hear it, but there is more to this story than the death of his grandparents. It's pretty obvious to me, but I'll keep my opinion to myself.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The CBJ should trade the Frenchman's rights to Montreal. Or if you want to screw over the kid, trade him to Philly. I've said it before and a lot of people don't want to hear it, but there is more to this story than the death of his grandparents. It's pretty obvious to me, but I'll keep my opinion to myself.
Right on. Do you know how different France and Quebec are or french is french to you so how could he not be happy right?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

You know that angry upset feeling you have when a young hockey player on our team makes a personal decision? That's when you need to zoom out a little bit. No one needs to be punished to make you feel better. We watch a silly game.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Why would anyone over the age of 13 “want to screw over the kid”?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
As for Texier, the loss of a good player is never to be "whatever'd" and I think we're short-selling how much of an upgrade Tex would be over Ros, who I think is gone before next season. Tex is a pretty well perfect player in terms of his age and play style to fit in with what this team needs. I hope he comes back, but I've always thought we'd seen the last of him once he decided to stay in Europe.
I’m not sold. He’s a fine 3rd liner, and maybe an upgrade on Roslovic, but at this point that’s not very hard.

I wonder how he would do coming back. I honestly expected his Swiss league stats to be better, when guys like Dean Kukan are putting up similar metrics.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
You know that angry upset feeling you have when a young hockey player on our team makes a personal decision? That's when you need to zoom out a little bit. No one needs to be punished to make you feel better. We watch a silly game.
I'm not angry at all. I don't care if he comes back or not. I view players as pieces on the chessboard. Move them around to achieve the goal.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
I’m not sold. He’s a fine 3rd liner, and maybe an upgrade on Roslovic, but at this point that’s not very hard.

I wonder how he would do coming back. I honestly expected his Swiss league stats to be better, when guys like Dean Kukan are putting up similar metrics.

I agree re: the stats. I was checking them out a few months ago and surprised to see he wasn't putting up bigger numbers. Stand by the fact he's an upgrade over Ros due to play style.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

You're not quite right. For example, we don't know if he had the motivation to play at 100%, he wasn't playing more for fun. That's how most NHL players played during the lockout.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
You're not quite right. For example, we don't know if he had the motivation to play at 100%, he wasn't playing more for fun. That's how most NHL players played during the lockout.
If he is not giving 100 percent, I think going from 80 percent effort to 100 percent might be hard, especially considering the talent disparity between the two leagues. At least for me.

Reactions: majormajor

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If he is not giving 100 percent, I think going from 80 percent effort to 100 percent might be hard, especially considering the talent disparity between the two leagues. At least for me.
I know a lot of players over him, they played in the KHL. That's why I know 100% that he is much better. So we don't need to focus on stats.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
the idea that he has not been pushing himself in Europe is very disturbing yet not surprising

I think it was a Michael Jordan quote about players who stop giving it their all, all the time. Then when they try to hit that next gear they can’t because their 80% has now become their 100%

Reactions: VT

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Have you followed up on Alexandre Texier’s recent comments in a Swiss newspaper saying that he hasn’t made a decision about where to play next season? — Sean G.

I have followed up, and what I’ve been told is that Texier was simply trying to keep the peace with the fans in Switzerland. The Blue Jackets have been told that he’s planning to return to Columbus to play in the NHL next season, and they’re taking his word for it. Honestly, that’s all you can really do right now. I’ll say this: Texier hasn’t misled anybody at any point in this process, so I don’t want to assume he’s placating the Blue Jackets now. He has told me via email that when his season is finished in Switzerland, he’ll do an interview. I’m holding him to that, and I’ll turn that story around quickly when we make contact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad