Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
I resemble this remark. Not that I "didn't care for the rebuild", but this franchise has had zero hope for quite a while. Now there's something to get excited about again.

starwars-obi-wan.gif
I want to clarify that in no way I have anything against the fans that didn't want to watch these couple of years, it was terrible and I don't blame them in any way. But It's great that fans are coming back, it's very refreshing to start the new wave.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
I want to clarify that in no way I have anything against the fans that didn't want to watch these couple of years, it was terrible and I don't blame them in any way. But It's great that fans are coming back, it's very refreshing to start the new wave.
No offense taken. There was a time in my life where maybe I thought it was my duty to pay super close attention to all my franchises even when they were in the dumper, but I'm pretty okay at this point with just kinda forgetting about teams for awhile until they give me a reason to want to care more. Doesn't mean I'll go looking for a team to adopt in the meantime though - I just wait until my local club gets its act together again.

In the meantime, I pursue emotionally satisfying activities like hate-rooting for the Bruins to be eliminated.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
When Toronto drafted Matthews they already had Kadri, JvR, Bozak and Rielly as established top half of the lineup veterans. That allowed them to hit the ground running when Matthews, Marner and Nylander joined the team. As a result they never had another lottery pick.

Grier wisely dumped our version of Kadri, JvR, Bozak and Rielly which means that even if Celebrini and Smith make an instant impact comparable to Matthews and Marner, there's no chance it improves the team enough to escape lottery territory. We simply don't have the infrastructure around them. This is a completely different situation than the Leafs were in.
The age gap between Rielly and Matthews is less than Celebrini and Eklund. The Leafs didn't have particularly good players either.

The similarity is there's no urgency, and people want to pin their hopes on one defenseman.

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
Because you can probably get Cole eiserman at 14?

His red flags are huge, which is why his draft stock has plummeted
Right wing team player, Left wing solo player. Alex Oveckin is a Left-winger. They have a mind of their own. Eiserman's knock is that he doesn't follow the team system very well. But does Ovechkin? He scores goals more than anyone else beside Gretzky. The Sharks need a leftwing sniper in the Ovechkin's red dot. Hopefully the Sharks can pick him up at 14th.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Right wing team player, Left wing solo player. Alex Oveckin is a Left-winger. They have a mind of their own. Eiserman's knock is that he doesn't follow the team system very well. But does Ovechkin? He scores goals more than anyone else beside Gretzky. The Sharks need a leftwing sniper in the Ovechkin's red dot. Hopefully the Sharks can pick him up at 14th.
I mean we have Kasper Haltunnen who's a right shot with a cannon of a one-tee that we can put on the right dot. Celebrini has a great one-timer of his own and can play left dot. Eklund down low/behind the net and Smith facilitating from the point.

Reactions: Sandisfan

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I mean we have Kasper Haltunnen who's a right shot with a cannon of a one-tee that we can put on the right dot. Celebrini has a great one-timer of his own and can play left dot. Eklund down low/behind the net and Smith facilitating from the point.
And Musty net front for a 5 forward PP.

Who needs defenseman.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
We need defense after celebrini.

Eiserman has flags. Mostly everything outside shooting. His compete. His skating. He's been dropping rank like crazy for a reason.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Let it be known that @hotcabbagesoup voted for the d-man option in the poll. You may all treat him as the situation dictates.
As a beer league defenseman myself I know intricately well that the most important position to winning games is not the centerman or the winger or even the coach, but it is the defenseman, like me.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
The age gap between Rielly and Matthews is less than Celebrini and Eklund. The Leafs didn't have particularly good players either.

The similarity is there's no urgency, and people want to pin their hopes on one defenseman.
Age doesn't have much to do with it. The point was the Leafs already had good complementary players surrounding Matthews, Marner and Nylander when they debuted, including an established high end starting goalie in Freddie Andersen. We have maybe one guy on that level in Granlund.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Age doesn't have much to do with it. The point was the Leafs already had good complementary players surrounding Matthews, Marner and Nylander when they debuted, including an established high end starting goalie in Freddie Andersen. We have maybe one guy on that level in Granlund.
I think Grier will be able to assemble a solid supporting cast...gotta get that core built up, which is the hard part. Hopefully that's done by the 2025-2026 season

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007

I can get excited about Eiserman. I'd prefer one of the top 6 D, Catton, Lindstrom, Iginla, Demidov, and maybe Helenius/Nygard, but I think we're a better landing spot than some teams. I wonder if Celebrini pushing his best friend would get the most out of him. In addition, we have probably the two best centers not yet in the NHL, one is elite two-way and the other is RH and puck dominant. I could see Eiserman fitting in with either.

I think he's got consistent 25/30-goal upside, and we're lacking scorers. Critically, he's also amongst the youngest players in the draft. I wouldn't be surprised if as he matures some of the concerns start to be reduced.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Eiserman's stock has fallen this year but that probably isn't the end of the world for him. I wouldn't be too mad if we picked him at #14, depending on who's still available. And even then it doesn't really matter, because the people deciding always have their preferences.

Besides, his name reminds me of Yzerman. That can't be too bad. :sarcasm:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Why is eisermans stock falling this year? If scouts or prospect experts seen him as a top 2 pick last season, this season was exactly like it was last year just with more games played.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Why is eisermans stock falling this year? If scouts or prospect experts seen him as a top 2 pick last season, this season was exactly like it was last year just with more games played.
I think they're getting more looks at him and the consensus seems to be approaching "a great shot and not much else."

I'm sure that's unfair, and a great shot is a great thing to have anyway - I haven't paid a ton of attention, but my impression via osmosis is that's what the general opinion of Eiserman is resembling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad