All-Purpose News Thread Part II

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Kurt Angle ain't complaining because Kurt Angle knows Dave's ratings don't mean shit lol.
because he doesn’t care, unlike what seems like everyone else.

Dave Meltzer not the only one who writes about wrestling and reviews matches but he’s the only one the internet gonna sit around dissect what he thinks about a specific match.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
because he doesn’t care, unlike what seems like everyone else.

Dave Meltzer not the only one who writes about wrestling and reviews matches but he’s the only one the internet gonna sit around dissect what he thinks about a specific match.

Nobody said he did care lol.

Kurt is the poster boy for arguments against Dave's ratings because there are people who actually take Dave's ratings as gospel.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Nobody said he did care lol.

Kurt is the poster boy for arguments against Dave's ratings because there are people who actually take Dave's ratings as gospel.
Kurt is the poster boy for people who want to fight on the internet about it. It’s not wrong that people exist who do hold it as gospel, for a while it became a good way for talent and promotions to get buzz, or in some cases recommend matches independent of its placement on the show.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Kurt is the poster boy for people who want to fight on the internet about it. It’s not wrong that people exist who do hold it as gospel, for a while it became a good way for talent and promotions to get buzz, or in some cases recommend matches independent of its placement on the show.
Apparently Van Vliet himself is just some guy that wants to fight on the internet about it lol.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
It's ok jussi....you can drop the hero act since you only wanna focus on one part of it

They're all random podcasts to me
Yeah, I'm 99% certain she'll stay in WWE but I love how even the mention of her possibly leaving clearly terrifies Jussi.

• Haha
Reactions: Fro

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yeah, I'm 99% certain she'll stay in WWE but I love how even the mention of her possibly leaving clearly terrifies Jussi.
200.gif

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
How many people know it was originally a 4 star system and that Cornette was the first guy who went beyond it (for a Lawler-Funk bout in the Memphis territory iirc)?
Cornette and Weasel Dooley of course. It does crack me up that Cornette (and Weasel I guess) did "break the scale" before Meltzer ever did. It was definitely a Lawler Funk match as you say. Also amuses me that Cornette (or anyone else) has a long lost friend named "Weasel Dooley".

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
So is that story about Riho supposedly making $400K from AEW last year legit or nah?

So from my understanding she said she made like 60M Yen last year(which is just shy of 400k US) from the AEW. Now not sure if we should take her statement as fact or not

Last edited:

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Since Sami is now a face this just doesn't make sense.......not that any kind of angle featuring Johnny Knoxville would actually make sense. :thumbd:

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Why would he have to ask about it then?

Why do journalists asks questions about topics that are frequently discussed? Are you serious?

What are you even going for at this point? Because it sounds like you're arguing just to argue.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Why do journalists asks questions about topics that are frequently discussed? Are you serious?

What are you even going for at this point? Because it sounds like you're arguing just to argue.
Ah, it’s making sense now. If it’s not supposed to matter or be invalidated, people wouldn’t be spending so much time insisting on nail him for something he’s not putting as much thought into as they think.

It’s like the old cartoon where a bunch of characters think they’re beating up Bugs Bunny or something not realizing he already got up and walked away.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Ah, it’s making sense now. If it’s not supposed to matter or be invalidated, people wouldn’t be spending so much time insisting on nail him for something he’s not putting as much thought into as they think.

It’s like the old cartoon where a bunch of characters think they’re beating up Bugs Bunny or something not realizing he already got up and walked away.
Because he spends a lot of time defending his dumb ratings with dumb arguments? The "oh, if I gave it 4,5 and you gave it 5, we basically agree" is just a dumb cop out to justify him breaking his own scale for marketing reasons.

If anything, Meltzer understands his target audience and is very good at catering to them. That is why he goes overboard with ratings some times. It is not meant to be serious, I agree, it is meant to be a conversation starter to generate engagement on Dave's social media and message board. That's why he broke the scale once the internet became so big. It stopped being analysis to became entertainment/engagement farming. That's fine and it is what it is and should not make anyone angry... but it does and that's what makes Dave money.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Because he spends a lot of time defending his dumb ratings with dumb arguments? The "oh, if I gave it 4,5 and you gave it 5, we basically agree" is just a dumb cop out to justify him breaking his own scale for marketing reasons.

If anything, Meltzer understands his target audience and is very good at catering to them. That is why he goes overboard with ratings some times. It is not meant to be serious, I agree, it is meant to be a conversation starter to generate engagement on Dave's social media and message board. That's why he broke the scale once the internet became so big. It stopped being analysis to became entertainment/engagement farming. That's fine and it is what it is and should not make anyone angry... but it does and that's what makes Dave money.
Does he spend a lot of time defending it? He did like a 50-minute podcast with Van Vliet, they didn’t spend the whole time talking about star ratings, I’d imagine the only people who talk to him about it are those who he’s never had a working professional relationship with. I was listening to his shows when he was breaking the scale and it only ever came up as a response to people getting mad and him insisting he doesn’t care. Although he was sought out by guys like Steve Austin to do a podcast after the WK11 to talk about the match specifically to talk about that one because he went to 6.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

The defense: "It's not Dave's fault he's just half-assing this stuff. If it doesn't matter you shouldn't be trying to make an argument proving that it doesn't matter." :laugh:

Yeah. You're arguing just to argue at this point.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

elmer-fudd-computer.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad