Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XVI

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Second set is closer as Carlos' level drops a bit (while remaining sky high)--it even looked briefly in mid-set that Felix might be gaining the upperhand. But then Felix's old nemesis, unforced errors, showed up and he lost 4 and 4. Some very high quality, highly entertaining, highly athletic tennis in that match, though,

Last edited:
Reactions: otown

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sinner beats Fritz in three sets. Yannick played excellent tennis, but Fritz could have pulled out a win. The biggest difference was how well Sinner played against the wind.

How do I feel about picking Sinner to win against Alcaraz tomorrow? Nervous.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Alcaraz has the speed and fast returns to keep all of his opponents at a disadvantage. The drop shot is another weapon that he tends to make more than he misses.
Very entertaining to watch. Frustrating for Felix but he gave it a good shot.
Alcaraz was the better player in this match.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Medvedev, playing on a surface he makes clear he loathes, gets to yet another final with a 7-5, 7-6 win over Tiafoe at Indian Wells. Insane set scores for a match Daniil dominated, but Tiafoe's serve and volley game kept him in the match.

Alcaraz over Sinner 7-6, 6-3 in a unexpectedly lusterless match where neither player brought his best game. Don't know how Sinner is ever going to win over Alcaraz on hard courts, though. It looks increasingly like a bad match up for him.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2006
Felix is playing really well, but trails by a break after five games. Carlos has been phenomenal.

Yowza. Felix played some brilliant tennis in that first set, but all he could do was keep it close. How can you look so good yourself but still clearly appear to be overmatched?
I’m late to the party on commenting on this match, but I thought FAA played possibly his best match of the season. And got done in straights. But if he can play like that more often he’ll go deep in tournaments.

Sinner could’ve taken the first set today, but came up short. A couple of points he’d like back. Alcaraz vs Medvedev…this is going to be fun.

As is Rybakina vs Sabalenka in the AO final rematch.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Who am I predicting to win today? All four of them.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Who am I predicting to win today? All four of them.
Have to go with Alcaraz. Fast, aggressive and doesn't seem to tire out. Oh to be 19!
Love the drop shot!
Looking forward to a great match!

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Cooler evening weather should make the courts even slower: Advantage Alcaraz

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
But what a show Rybakina and Sabalenka put on. Rybakina won 7-6, 6-4, but it was a major league dogfight. The first set especially was one of the best of the year, a breaker that Rybakina took 13-11.

Last edited:
Reactions: Filppula
Oct 18, 2006
About time someone, and a 19 year old no less, used the drop shot off Meddy’s return of serve. Stand that far back and you’ve got it coming for you. He is unbelievable Carlos.

Reactions: MsMeow and kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
About time someone, and a 19 year old no less, used the drop shot off Meddy’s return of serve. Stand that far back and you’ve got it coming for you. He is unbelievable Carlos.
Yes, and I think the quality of his net play freaked Medvedev out, too. Carlos hit some major league volleys.

Reactions: Filppula

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Two big wins for Marino and Sebov today in Miami.
I watched Sebov in the third set. She has a big serve but her lateral movement is pretty bad. She looks like Milos in a lot of ways but with a better backhand and worse movement.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fearless Miami Predictions (and, yes, they are boring)

Alcaraz/Fritz
Sinner/Zverev

Medvedev/Hurkacz
Felix/Kachanov

Alcaraz over Sinner
Medvedev over Felix

Alcaraz over Medvedev

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I was looking forward to this one and it didn't disappoint. Adrian Mannarino defeated Ben Shelton 6-1 in the third set. It was a match between massive but very raw talent and the craftiest pace absorber on the tour, and the vet taught the kid a lesson in the deciding set of what was a close match until then. Probably not necessarily a good thing that Shelton, not for the first time, reminded me a little of a young Shapovalov who is becoming an abject lesson in what happens when raw talent isn't sufficiently refined.

Reactions: otown

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Shapo vs Fritz was a boring match today. Very little emotion from Shapo. A poor first serve % , coupled with a multitude of unforced errors have become a pattern for Dennis.
Would like nothing better than to see him rise in the rankings but there is work to be done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad