Confirmed with Link: Andlauer reaches deal for Ottawa Senators ownership

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I get what Andy is trying to say...he has the wallet open to spend on the team. And yes, he has been adding a few scouts and other off-ice folks. And yes, I do appreciate it.

But the optics of "we got a guy low on everyone's lists and paid a lot for him!" doesn't quite hit the way he wants it to. It's not Melynk or Dorion bad by any means, but still funny.

I don't think Andy or Staios quite realize yet what a horrific minefield this fanbase and organization is right now. It's very, very difficult not to put your foot in your mouth when every word will be scrutinized for "hints of Melynk".

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I get what Andy is trying to say...he has the wallet open to spend on the team. And yes, he has been adding a few scouts and other off-ice folks. And yes, I do appreciate it.

But the optics of "we got a guy low on everyone's lists and paid a lot for him!" doesn't quite hit the way he wants it to. It's not Melynk or Dorion bad by any means, but still funny.

I don't think Andy or Staios quite realize yet what a horrific minefield this fanbase and organization is right now. It's very, very difficult not to put your foot in your mouth when every word will be scrutinized for "hints of Melynk".

Have you considered cheering for a team in a bigger market?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

I’m pretty sure they understand nothing but results matter. What fans need to realize is that there are no shortcuts no matter what Dorion and Melnyk fed them.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Andlauer did expand on the best in class comment, as Mendes explained that some fans/posters were starting to use it as an insulting meme.

Andlauer explained that there priority was to make every aspect of the team better to bring the organization up to a best in class level. Its wasn’t so much about quickly hiring but rather a gradual build by bolstering every area of the team, and changing the culture.

He explains that it takes time to make that’s types of cultural changes, but that the organization is doing it.

I think some folks expect that every hire has to be the most popular name in the biz, and we need to splash money around to prove best in class. This version of ‘best in class’ differs from Andlauer’s opinion on what it means. To him it means raising the entire organizational culture to a best in class level.

He also intimated that he he gave a speech to the entire organization about what it takes to run a top business, and how the similar traits apply to the organization. It was about working for each other, respecting each other etc. This was was delivered to every single member of the organization from the players to the team staff. He said he talked about some areas that needed work, but also talked about some positives that he saw.

He clearly explained that hiring Green had zero to do with money, and that he was well paid. If folks want to craft their own opinions fair enough, I suppose.

He also expressed that he didn’t have an issue with buyouts if the GM wanted it. He expressed that buyouts are a tool designed to be used to get out of mistakes, and explained that ‘we all make mistakes’ and the buyouts allow teams a reprieve.

As mentioned he was really pissed at Toronto fans booing our captain in our barn to start the game, he said he was so pissed that he drifted back into his suite away from cameras so that they wouldn’t catch his facial expressions. He absolutely loved Griegs slap shot goal and felt that it was delivered as a push back to the TO fans in the crowd.

I suspect he’s going to press for some changes in how MtL and TO games are promoted.

Solid little interview, mostly talked about how this has been a ton of learning for him.

Reactions: Dionysus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad