Confirmed with Link: Andlauer reaches deal for Ottawa Senators ownership

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I get what Andy is trying to say...he has the wallet open to spend on the team. And yes, he has been adding a few scouts and other off-ice folks. And yes, I do appreciate it.

But the optics of "we got a guy low on everyone's lists and paid a lot for him!" doesn't quite hit the way he wants it to. It's not Melynk or Dorion bad by any means, but still funny.

I don't think Andy or Staios quite realize yet what a horrific minefield this fanbase and organization is right now. It's very, very difficult not to put your foot in your mouth when every word will be scrutinized for "hints of Melynk".

Reactions: stempniaksen

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I get what Andy is trying to say...he has the wallet open to spend on the team. And yes, he has been adding a few scouts and other off-ice folks. And yes, I do appreciate it.

But the optics of "we got a guy low on everyone's lists and paid a lot for him!" doesn't quite hit the way he wants it to. It's not Melynk or Dorion bad by any means, but still funny.

I don't think Andy or Staios quite realize yet what a horrific minefield this fanbase and organization is right now. It's very, very difficult not to put your foot in your mouth when every word will be scrutinized for "hints of Melynk".

Have you considered cheering for a team in a bigger market?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

I’m pretty sure they understand nothing but results matter. What fans need to realize is that there are no shortcuts no matter what Dorion and Melnyk fed them.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Andlauer did expand on the best in class comment, as Mendes explained that some fans/posters were starting to use it as an insulting meme.

Andlauer explained that there priority was to make every aspect of the team better to bring the organization up to a best in class level. Its wasn’t so much about quickly hiring but rather a gradual build by bolstering every area of the team, and changing the culture.

He explains that it takes time to make that’s types of cultural changes, but that the organization is doing it.

I think some folks expect that every hire has to be the most popular name in the biz, and we need to splash money around to prove best in class. This version of ‘best in class’ differs from Andlauer’s opinion on what it means. To him it means raising the entire organizational culture to a best in class level.

He also intimated that he he gave a speech to the entire organization about what it takes to run a top business, and how the similar traits apply to the organization. It was about working for each other, respecting each other etc. This was was delivered to every single member of the organization from the players to the team staff. He said he talked about some areas that needed work, but also talked about some positives that he saw.

He clearly explained that hiring Green had zero to do with money, and that he was well paid. If folks want to craft their own opinions fair enough, I suppose.

He also expressed that he didn’t have an issue with buyouts if the GM wanted it. He expressed that buyouts are a tool designed to be used to get out of mistakes, and explained that ‘we all make mistakes’ and the buyouts allow teams a reprieve.

As mentioned he was really pissed at Toronto fans booing our captain in our barn to start the game, he said he was so pissed that he drifted back into his suite away from cameras so that they wouldn’t catch his facial expressions. He absolutely loved Griegs slap shot goal and felt that it was delivered as a push back to the TO fans in the crowd.

I suspect he’s going to press for some changes in how MtL and TO games are promoted.

Solid little interview, mostly talked about how this has been a ton of learning for him.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Andlauer did expand on the best in class comment, as Mendes explained that some fans/posters were starting to use it as an insulting meme.

Andlauer explained that there priority was to make every aspect of the team better to bring the organization up to a best in class level. Its wasn’t so much about quickly hiring but rather a gradual build by bolstering every area of the team, and changing the culture.

He explains that it takes time to make that’s types of cultural changes, but that the organization is doing it.

I think some folks expect that every hire has to be the most popular name in the biz, and we need to splash money around to prove best in class. This version of ‘best in class’ differs from Andlauer’s opinion on what it means. To him it means raising the entire organizational culture to a best in class level.

He also intimated that he he gave a speech to the entire organization about what it takes to run a top business, and how the similar traits apply to the organization. It was about working for each other, respecting each other etc. This was was delivered to every single member of the organization from the players to the team staff. He said he talked about some areas that needed work, but also talked about some positives that he saw.

He clearly explained that hiring Green had zero to do with money, and that he was well paid. If folks want to craft their own opinions fair enough, I suppose.

He also expressed that he didn’t have an issue with buyouts if the GM wanted it. He expressed that buyouts are a tool designed to be used to get out of mistakes, and explained that ‘we all make mistakes’ and the buyouts allow teams a reprieve.

As mentioned he was really pissed at Toronto fans booing our captain in our barn to start the game, he said he was so pissed that he drifted back into his suite away from cameras so that they wouldn’t catch his facial expressions. He absolutely loved Griegs slap shot goal and felt that it was delivered as a push back to the TO fans in the crowd.

I suspect he’s going to press for some changes in how MtL and TO games are promoted.

Solid little interview, mostly talked about how this has been a ton of learning for him.
The bolded is great and all but how does it translate to a fan who's watching this team and wondering how the ship is going to get pointed in the right direction? How does the average fan know anything about the culture of an organization and how it translates to on-ice success?

I think what some of us expected were credible, well-searched hires. I've, personally, never expected this team to be one of the top spenders in the league. It's just not what this market can support and it's not realistic in the long-term. Maybe in short spurts. However, what was the hiring process for the open executive roles?

How many people were interviewed for POHO? Who else was consulted on the hiring of the POHO? Ok, so Staios is Andlauer's guy. It's not my personal preference for the guy at the very top of the organizational hierarchy to be inexperienced at this level but I can understand that they had a working relation for a few years that brought some success in the OHL.
Who were the candidates considered and interviewed for the GM position?
Who were the candidates considered and interviewed for the SVPOHO position?
Who were the candidates considered and interviewed for the HC position?

Important position after important position, we seem to have completely whiffed on credible track records, valuable experience, winning pedigrees and tangible results. I'm not talking about only Stanley Cup winners or the most expensive coach in the league. I'm talking about hiring a couple of "been there, done that" guys who have been through a myriad of situations at this level and can help this organization, that's spent the last 5 years understaffed and under-resourced to a detrimental level, get itself sorted out again. Instead, we're relying on guys with busted resumes or complete novices to do the job. None of that says best in class to me. And it's not about money. This is a results league. You're judged on how you do and of the 4 key positions we've filled, none of them have ever gotten the job done in any way that would make you think success will naturally follow as a result of their work. The most natural response to this inadequacy of experience and results is skepticism. And that is literally the opposite reaction you would have for an organization you believed had best in class practices.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The bolded is great and all but how does it translate to a fan who's watching this team and wondering how the ship is going to get pointed in the right direction? How does the average fan know anything about the culture of an organization and how it translates to on-ice success?

I think what some of us expected were credible, well-searched hires. I've, personally, never expected this team to be one of the top spenders in the league. It's just not what this market can support and it's not realistic in the long-term. Maybe in short spurts. However, what was the hiring process for the open executive roles?

How many people were interviewed for POHO? Who else was consulted on the hiring of the POHO? Ok, so Staios is Andlauer's guy. It's not my personal preference for the guy at the very top of the organizational hierarchy to be inexperienced at this level but I can understand that they had a working relation for a few years that brought some success in the OHL.

Important position after important position, we seem to have completely whiffed on credible track records, valuable experience, winning pedigrees and tangible results. I'm not talking about only Stanley Cup winners or the most expensive coach in the league. I'm talking about hiring a couple of "been there, done that" guys who have been through a myriad of situations at this level and can help this organization, that's spent the last 5 years understaffed and under-resourced to a detrimental level, get itself sorted out again. Instead, we're relying on guys with busted resumes or complete novices to do the job. None of that says best in class to me. And it's not about money. This is a results league. You're judged on how you do and of the 4 key positions we've filled, none of them have ever gotten the job done in any way that would make you think success will naturally follow as a result of their work. The most natural response to this inadequacy of experience and results is skepticism. And that is literally the opposite reaction you would have for an organization you believed had best in class practices.
You hire quality people, set your expectations of them, provide them the resources and tools required to meet those expectations and judge them on their results.

You treat every member of the organization with respect and ensure they feel valued.

You treat your customers well and ensure they know you value them spending their time, money and passion on the product. You continually improve their experience by listening to their feedback.

That’s best in class.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

I’ve actually been impressed with the quality of the people that have been hired into the limited positions that I’m aware of.

I don’t know much about Green, but given the way he describes himself he sounds exactly like the kind of coach most of us have been wishing for to take over this team, in terms of coaching style.

I don’t view this ownership group as a continuation of the last group, nor do I look at the fortunes of the previous team as part of this new group. I look at this group as having been in place for 7 months, and it looks to me as though they have turned over much of the management staff, and brought in several highly regarded people in their fields in both finance and hockey ops.

As for the team, as far as I’m concerned the page has turned. We have a new coaching staff coming in, a new philosophy for the organization, and likely several new players.

I’m simply going to wait and see what all of this change amounts to. As of now though, I have liked what I have seen. Attendance has been pretty good this season comparatively as well, so I can’t be alone in this regard.

Reactions: Icelevel

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I’ve actually been impressed with the quality of the people that have been hired into the limited positions that I’m aware of.

I don’t know much about Green, but given the way he describes himself he sounds exactly like the kind of coach most of us have been wishing for to take over this team, in terms of coaching style.

I don’t view this ownership group as a continuation of the last group, nor do I look at the fortunes of the previous team as part of this new group. I look at this group as having been in place for 7 months, and it looks to me as though they have turned over much of the management staff, and brought in several highly regarded people in their fields in both finance and hockey ops.

As for the team, as far as I’m concerned the page has turned. We have a new coaching staff coming in, a new philosophy for the organization, and likely several new players.

I’m simply going to wait and see what all of this change amounts to. As of now though, I have liked what I have seen. Attendance has been pretty good this season comparatively as well, so I can’t be alone in this regard.
What exactly do you mean by "quality of people"?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
You hire quality people, set your expectations of them, provide them the resources and tools required to meet those expectations and judge them on their results.

You treat every member of the organization with respect and ensure they feel valued.

You treat your customers well and ensure they know you value them spending their time, money and passion on the product. You continually improve their experience by listening to their feedback.

That’s best in class.

"The term “Best in Class” serves as a yardstick of industrial excellence and technological superiority, benchmarking products and processes that go beyond the conventional standards. The phrase is not just a buzzword; it’s an excellence acknowledgment that distinguishes high-caliber offerings within their respective domains."

Getting better does not equal "best in class"!

Reactions: Relapsing

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
"The term “Best in Class” serves as a yardstick of industrial excellence and technological superiority, benchmarking products and processes that go beyond the conventional standards. The phrase is not just a buzzword; it’s an excellence acknowledgment that distinguishes high-caliber offerings within their respective domains."

Getting better does not equal "best in class"!
I’m pretty sure Andlauer knows what it means.

Reactions: Icelevel

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I did not expect to get details as to who was considered for roles in the organization structure and the assessments of each.

However, when Andlauer said he wanted to have a "best in class" organization, I expected some high level, experienced and previously successful talent to be added.

So far, I have not seen that.

If he said he wanted to make improvements to the organization and management and players in order to consistently make the playoffs on an annual basis, then my expectations would not be as high as he made them with his comments. He is now walking it back.

Reactions: DrEasy and jhutter

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

That’s best in class.
"Best in Class" is very, very self-explanatory. What you described is not self-explanatory.

Reactions: Cosmix

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Coming in late. Sounds pretty dumb though. Did anyone think we’d go from what we were under Dorion one day to best in class the next?
It’s a process. Best in class is the goal.
Could be a long process so we’ll have to be patient.
I’ve liked what I’ve seen so far. They have a lot of work ahead. The thing was a mess.
They’re making the right moves.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yup. So do I.
So you disagree with hiring so far, maybe you are right, maybe you are wrong. I’m wait and see, this isn’t Melnyk, I’m trusting Andlauer is getting people he feels can be successful and share similar beliefs and values.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

That’s best in class.
Then we already disagree.

I've outlined the people we hired and the processes that put them in those positions, in that post. So when you say quality people, I'm honestly wondering what you mean? Like, they're good people? Hard-working folk? Dependable? Or are you describing the quality of their work? Their track record?

Reactions: Cosmix

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I think a lot of people (myself included) were underestimating just how badly Dorion/Melnyk messed up this organization.
It's going to take some time to fix.
The organization was put into financial stasis by the last owner. The problem when you say "it's going to take some time to fix" is that they're taking the first steps towards addressing the problems. Namely, hiring all the key decision makers in the executive team and on the bench. They couldn't get a single guy with a good, solid resume and track record at the NHL level? Like, why are we waiting for some arbitrary amount of time to pass when the changes are being made today? The people who will try to fix the problems are being put in place today. So, we should be especially critical of those staffing decisions, today, so we don't have anymore wasted time talking about fixing the last guy's problems. It just doesn't make sense.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I did not expect to get details as to who was considered for roles in the organization structure and the assessments of each.

However, when Andlauer said he wanted to have a "best in class" organization, I expected some high level, experienced and previously successful talent to be added.

So far, I have not seen that.

If he said he wanted to make improvements to the organization and management and players in order to consistently make the playoffs on an annual basis, then my expectations would not be as high as he made them with his comments. He is now walking it back.
I think it's a completely normal expectation to have. And it's what I've been saying all along. On the one hand, the POHO talks about bolstering the roster with experience, that a young group of talent needs some veterans to help insulate them and guide them during difficult times. How does that same concept not apply to the people who make the most important decisions for the organization? Like, it's unbelievably baffling to preach it in one instance but not follow it in the other.

I honestly don't even care about Best in Class. It's got all the hallmarks of a slogan a politician wants to put on a bumper sticker. Regardless of overall philosophy, you should want someone with high level experience and success to be in a position of power somewhere in the organization.

Like, for God's sake, he doesn't hire this way at the company that made him enough money to buy this f***ing team.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
I think experience can be overrated, but it doesn’t really matter. At this point, our fate is going to be largely or completely decided by how much money is spent on the team, how well Staios processes information and comes to conclusions, and luck.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I dont think they actually care. It has nothing to do with how they should be making their decisions. The majority of people I see whining and complaining about it are the 15 to 30 year old age group that didnt actually witness how this team was built when they had sustainable success. They are used to knee jerk reaction Dorion who did a very poor job since he took over. Alot of hope choices with very little foresight or planning after inheriting a pretty good team.

This management group did their due diligence they hired who they think the right person is for this group of players. The person they want to mold this organizations culture. Everything that we have read from past players and people who have dealt with Green point to him being the right kind of coach for this team and where its currently at. Staios and co interviewed alot of people and they have a strong hockey ops group who actually work together. I am going to trust Staios's decisions, he has shown a calm, patient and methodical approach thus far. Which historically is the correct approach, this is a small market team decisions must be calculated and prudent. Assets must be managed.

Right from hiring Martin so he had boots on the ground in his management team so he could get to know the team and the players he inherited. I have seen certain posters lament that decision. Asking why they didnt hire someone full time right away. Its incredibly obvious why. These arent his players. He doesnt know them, he needed to find out who fits into the mold of the team he wants to build. The culture he wants to build. A knee jerk reaction in hiring a new fulltime coach before he knew the group would have been short sighted and frankly really stupid. Since Staios has taken over he has talked about sustainable success. I am sorry to say its probably going to be pretty boring. But thats how to operate a small market team. Identify your good players who fits into your culture and accumulate them slowly. Draft well and build. Winnipeg is a great example of how a small market team should be run. Buffalo is the opposite, the sens were run like Buffalo. Very little continuity. The best GM in sens history was cold and calculated in Marshall Johnston. He only made moves when his hand was forced even then he took his time. He drafted well and built from the back end out. That's what we are going to see with stay at home Steve.

I think experience can be overrated, but it doesn’t really matter. At this point, our fate is going to be largely or completely decided by how much money is spent on the team, how well Staios processes information and comes to conclusions, and luck.
Any team can spend money. Its about building a strong culture and being prudent about who you commit it to. Certain organizations can operate a certain way, when you are a destination in a low tax state you can pursue free agents or players with control. When you are a small market team you cant. It should be a completely different game plan when building your team. Ill use Vegas and Winnipeg as the two extremes. Ottawa is closer to Winnipeg thats how they have to operate. The Yashin and Dubois situations and trades are eerily similar. Very good players with a desirable skillset that did not want to be in small markets. Neither GM panicked but they made the trade when they had to, not wait until the trade deadline.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad