Andrew copp

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I think another part of the Copp and Compher plan is that they have a history of being good when flexed out on the wing as F1 forecheckers and keeping pucks down low. They also have different shot hands, they setup to help transition Kasper and Danielson at the ends of these contracts.

The core issue has left him just a step behind the guy I have seen in Winnipeg and New York. I actually think he has been getting better and better lately. He is a smart player with a ton of versatility. When a young guy is ready to displace him he can kick outside and help with draws. I still totally see why he was brought in and where he fits in Yzerman’s vision.

Like you said, that core injury really diminished Copp. He’s lost considerable speed since and his ability to hang onto the puck on the wall or win puck battles has also diminished.

I get the reason for bringing him here but that injury really gives me buyers remorse. I’m hoping he can be better next year.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I've been dealing with some strained core muscles the last couple weeks because I was sick and coughed myself into muscle strains. Anyway it's pretty shitty because every time I think I'm getting close to better I'll go to open a slightly "heavy" door and have a jolt of pain and feels like days of progress will go away.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Hard worker, D center, PK... $5.6M per.

If signed for half of that, I believe many of the complaints would be tempered. Right now, he looks like Abby 2.0 in the sense he is overpaid for the product on the ice. In NO way, am I comparing the 2 skill levels. (Copp has far more skill than Abby ever brought to the rink.)

Contract 7 years for #30M for a hard working MI boy.

I don't dislike Copp for his current role, he is just overpaid to carry it out. That hurts the team's ability to find other players.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Copp is a good guy to have at 3c.

Wings fans are still rating him as a 2c. He's an awful 2c. But on the third line he plays a solid 200 foot north-south game and he'll pot 40 points a season just on his decent fundamental skills.

By the end of his contract 5 million will probably be only a slightly overvalue contract for a third line C. When the Wings are a legit playoff team his contract won't hurt at all.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Hard worker, D center, PK... $5.6M per.

If signed for half of that, I believe many of the complaints would be tempered. Right now, he looks like Abby 2.0 in the sense he is overpaid for the product on the ice. In NO way, am I comparing the 2 skill levels. (Copp has far more skill than Abby ever brought to the rink.)

Contract 7 years for #30M for a hard working MI boy.

I don't dislike Copp for his current role, he is just overpaid to carry it out. That hurts the team's ability to find other players.
Maybe Helm 2.0? Was he really worth his contract even though he was a quality for his role?

If you look back at Helm's numbers, they weren't really worth that contract in '16, but 3.85/yr is way different than 5.6/yr even if Copps just a little better than Helm.

Reactions: heyfolks

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Maybe Helm 2.0? Was he really worth his contract even though he was a quality for his role?

If you look back at Helm's numbers, they weren't really worth that contract in '16, but 3.85/yr is way different than 5.6/yr even if Copps just a little better than Helm.

Good point about skill and role. I went with Abby for the MI connection and annual cap hit.

Reactions: 13to40

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Copp ain't no Draper. He probably couldn't even carry his jockstrap.
No hits today. In fact no hits in the last 9 games. 4 hits all season. He's become the forward version of Cholo.

Cholo Slow Helm.

If you throw less hits than Sprong, you're not earning your pay.

Getting back to my point, Draper would stick his jock strap on Copp's head. You know Copp isn't gonna hit anyone.

screen-shot-2016-09-27-at-2-37-30-am.png

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
No hits today. In fact no hits in the last 9 games. 4 hits all season.

4 hits all season? No chance!
I’m not even going to bother looking that up. With the minutes he gets… Copp would have had to accidentally collided with atleast that many opposition players….

86382968.gif

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
4 hits all season? No chance!
I’m not even going to bother looking that up. With the minutes he gets… Copp would have had to accidentally collided with atleast that many opposition players….

86382968.gif
He's had one hit in each of the past 2 games to increase his season total by 50%. He's now at 6 hits. I am not bullshitting in the least bit. You noticed all of the people that normally argue with me won't even touch this subject.

In any case, I wish this team would check the opponents as hard as they hit their own teammates.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
worst contract on the team? Probably. Still a Decent player that has helped the team in his time here.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
I've never seen an NHL player with as weak of a shot (wrist or slapper) as this loser. My 87 year old aunt Gladice could honestly get more power behind it

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
He's had one hit in each of the past 2 games to increase his season total by 50%. He's now at 6 hits. I am not bullshitting in the least bit. You noticed all of the people that normally argue with me won't even touch this subject.

In any case, I wish this team would check the opponents as hard as they hit their own teammates.
Probably because hits are the most useless stat that the NHL tracks. Who gives a shit about hits?

lgrws91

Jun 14, 2023
Like you said, that core injury really diminished Copp. He’s lost considerable speed since and his ability to hang onto the puck on the wall or win puck battles has also diminished.

I get the reason for bringing him here but that injury really gives me buyers remorse. I’m hoping he
worst contract on the team? Probably. Still a Decent player that has helped the team in his time here.
Definitely the worst contract on team and he brings noting. Absolute trash

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Probably because hits are the most useless stat that the NHL tracks. Who gives a shit about hits?
Because it's a contact sport?

Players can get inflated hit stats with weak checks, so high numbers need to be verified with the eye test, but low numbers always show a lack of physicality. This team gets absolutely manhandled by physical teams (and a few of them that aren't even all that physical like Ottawa and NYR), and Copp is part of the problem. The bottom 6 need to show physical presence when your top 6 are soft. This team is beyond 10 ply, Copp makes it at least 12 ply.

You can tell that opposing coaches have already made the adjustment by playing physical against the Wings, and the team just crumbles like the stale fruitcake you're eating right now.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Because it's a contact sport?

Players can get inflated hit stats with weak checks, so high numbers need to be verified with the eye test, but low numbers always show a lack of physicality. This team gets absolutely manhandled by physical teams (and a few of them that aren't even all that physical like Ottawa and NYR), and Copp is part of the problem. The bottom 6 need to show physical presence when your top 6 are soft. This team is beyond 10 ply, Copp makes it at least 12 ply.

You can tell that opposing coaches have already made the adjustment by playing physical against the Wings, and the team just crumbles like the stale fruitcake you're eating right now.
Sure, but the team with the most hits doesn't win. If anything a high hit count just shows you don't have the puck.

Since the league tracked hits the Wings' lowest (full 82 game season) hit counts were in '06, '07, '08, and '09. Gimme that hockey over whatever the f*** you're pining for any day.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Sure, but the team with the most hits doesn't win. If anything a high hit count just shows you don't have the puck.

Since the league tracked hits the Wings' lowest (full 82 game season) hit counts were in '06, '07, '08, and '09. Gimme that hockey over whatever the f*** you're pining for any day.
Where's Copp fit into that picture? Water boy?

It's impossible to put that much talent on a salary cap team by overpaying a player like Copp. If that's what you want, you're arguing on the wrong side, lol. Backwards logic as usual.

Edit: Especially coming from the guy who didn't want DBC or Kane. Try to maintain at least a little consistency please.

Reactions: lgrws91

Austrianwing

Apr 29, 2021

Hitting more isn't going to solve everything by itself, but that analysis kind of confuses cause and effect. Obviously, if you have puck possession, and are winning, you are not going to sacrifice that for the sake of getting your licks in. If you already don't have the puck, and are losing, why on earth would you pass up obvious opportunities to disrupt the other guys and make their evening miserable?
I'm not talking about running around looking for the big statement hits, just being physically engaged. It works pretty consistently against this team 🤷‍♂️

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I thought Copp was going to prove to be better than what he's shown thus far. But he is quietly on pace for his usual 40 point production.

What should a 40 point #3 centerman earn? I mean Jean-Gabriel Pageau, for example, earns $4.5 and on pace for 32 points. So is Copp really that bad?

Boston pays $2 mil for their 25 year #3 centerman in Trent Frederic. But he was drafted by Boston and he's getting a raise after this contract. Panthers #3 Lundell is only 22 and is going to get a nice payday. They are better teams, but have younger players on cheap contracts because they drafted them.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I thought Copp was going to prove to be better than what he's shown thus far. But he is quietly on pace for his usual 40 point production.

What should a 40 point #3 centerman earn? I mean Jean-Gabriel Pageau, for example, earns $4.5 and on pace for 32 points. So is Copp really that bad?

Boston pays $2 mil for their 25 year #3 centerman in Trent Frederic. But he was drafted by Boston and he's getting a raise after this contract. Panthers #3 Lundell is only 22 and is going to get a nice payday. They are better teams, but have younger players on cheap contracts because they drafted them.
Fair salary is around $3.5 - $4M, he's basically overpaid by $2M like Helm was, but for some reason Copp gets way more love.

My issue is that if a player can't score more than 40 then he needs to have other attributes. Copp does PK, but he adds no physical presence which is needed from bottom 6 players. Nobody needs a soft bottom 6 forward at $5.75M.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Where's Copp fit into that picture? Water boy?

It's impossible to put that much talent on a salary cap team by overpaying a player like Copp. If that's what you want, you're arguing on the wrong side, lol. Backwards logic as usual.

Edit: Especially coming from the guy who didn't want DBC or Kane. Try to maintain at least a little consistency please.
You are aware that '06, '07, '08, and '09 were all salary-cap years, right?

Welcome to the new Kris Draper. Both started in Winterpeg... He's just got a cheaper version of Lang's contract.

Fair salary is around $3.5 - $4M, he's basically overpaid by $2M like Helm was, but for some reason Copp gets way more love.

My issue is that if a player can't score more than 40 then he needs to have other attributes. Copp does PK, but he adds no physical presence which is needed from bottom 6 players. Nobody needs a soft bottom 6 forward at $5.75M.
Are you literate? You can read, right?

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Is that 3.5 - 4 range your opinion or is that the actual range? I did not look up every team in the NHL, but the ones I did look up was Jean Gabriel Pageau was the closest match at $5 AVV. Then the LA Kings are paying $8.5 for Pierre-Luc Dubois who is on pace for 38 points. Granted he is an inconsistent 50-60 point getter, so he's an extreme example. He'd easily be out #2 center. But $8.5 tho...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad