Another Late Season Surge

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
What is more valuable, a slightly better draft pick or core players like Tkachuk, Stutzle, Sandy ect actually being capable of winning some games? I choose the latter, if it was early in the rebuild and the roster was filled with a bunch of stop gaps then yeah I’d be a little upset about this win streak.

This argument would hold more weight of this wasn't the same talking point every season since 2021. They do the same thing every year and they still haven't learned to win.

It's patently obvious they do this deliberately as a way to punish the fans.

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
What is more valuable, a slightly better draft pick or core players like Tkachuk, Stutzle, Sandy ect actually being capable of winning some games? I choose the latter, if it was early in the rebuild and the roster was filled with a bunch of stop gaps then yeah I’d be a little upset about this win streak.

You're a Leafs fan. Why do you care?

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
This argument would hold more weight of this wasn't the same talking point every season since 2021. They do the same thing every year and they still haven't learned to win.

It's patently obvious they do this deliberately as a way to punish the fans.
More like they don't know how to win under pressure. Hopefully a coaching change fixes that.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
No mercy shown us tonight. The teams that could knock us out all lost.

Sens ceiling is still 84 PTS.

Islanders: 83 PTS, 6 GR — worse than 0-5-1
Flyers: 83 PTS, 5 GR — worse than 0-4-1
Capitals: 82 PTS, 6 GR — worse than 0-5-1
Red Wings: 82 PTS, 6 GR — worse than 0-5-1
Penguins: 81 PTS, 6 GR — worse than 1-4-1
Sabres: 79 PTS, 5 GR — worse than 2-2-1
Devils: 76 PTS, 6 GR — worse than 4-2-0

Yes, the Capitals play the Flyers on April 16, so one of them will win. The list above includes 3rd place in the Metro, so the Sens are still alive with one of those two teams winning that night.

Tomorrow night, an Islanders win or a Senators loss will eliminate the Sens. An Islanders OTL and a Senators win does not eliminate our good team, as we have the regulation-win tiebreaker.
I for some be really appreciate you putting this together, I’m following along :)

Plus you were able to work in the term ‘event horizon’ which I also appreciate!

Reactions: Flamingo

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Stop the bull$hit Sens......just lose and let us have our pic for once. All the optimists of us trying to make that last spot is ridiculous. Can you imagine this team in a playoff round? Just stop.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Finally.

I wish they'd have let some other team's victory knock them out rather than losing their way out the same way they lost all season, allowing an early goal against.

Stop the bull$hit Sens......just lose and let us have our pic for once. All the optimists of us trying to make that last spot is ridiculous. Can you imagine this team in a playoff round? Just stop.
??? There were no optimists here.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Didn’t see any

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Lightning, Rangers and Bruins are all likely losses, even with stars resting.

I think Montreal passes us for sure, they're playing decent hockey lately and have some guys on hot streaks. Arizona has a pretty good chance at passing us, too.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Tank for the last 4 remaining games and that gets us a top 5 pick hopefully and with luck ( of which we have none) we might even move up higher if we get lucky at the draft lottery.
I wonder how many posters on this board want to lose the next 4 games as I do.
Obviously not great to hope for losses but it should help us secure POSSIBLY.....a better player in the upcoming draft....and that in the end would give us something to cheer about after a tumultuous 2023-24 season.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Tank for the last 4 remaining games and that gets us a top 5 pick hopefully and with luck ( of which we have none) we might even move up higher if we get lucky at the draft lottery.
I wonder how many posters on this board want to lose the next 4 games as I do.
Obviously not great to hope for losses but it should help us secure POSSIBLY.....a better player in the upcoming draft....and that in the end would give us something to cheer about after a tumultuous 2023-24 season.
I am on your band wagon. These bozos should have lost a few more the last 6 weeks.

Reactions: gab6511

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Barring draft lottery shenanigans, the Sens are picking 5th-7th.

This mode two spots are extremely, extremely valuable and important at the top of the draft.

It’s the difference between getting your top rated player or not. Sanderson or xxx. Clarke/Gauthier or Boucher/xxx.

As fans we should all be praying for less points than the Habs and Yotes the rest of the season. Ideally they finish with 0 points. Of course that isn’t a blanket, many fans will still want to win out which is perfectly fine, albeit not good for the team moving forward.

As players, the Sens are going to play hard and try to win out the schedule, which makes perfect sense and is completely understandable.

These are the most important games of the season, all things considered, and we are hoping for losses.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

This mode two spots are extremely, extremely valuable and important at the top of the draft.

It’s the difference between getting your top rated player or not. Sanderson or xxx. Clarke/Gauthier or Boucher/xxx.

As fans we should all be praying for less points than the Habs and Yotes the rest of the season. Ideally they finish with 0 points. Of course that isn’t a blanket, many fans will still want to win out which is perfectly fine, albeit not good for the team moving forward.

As players, the Sens are going to play hard and try to win out the schedule, which makes perfect sense and is completely understandable.

These are the most important games of the season, all things considered, and we are hoping for losses.
Well if we make a Boucher type pick again THEN it’s the difference between gauthier type and Boucher type.

Reactions: ijif

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Well if we make a Boucher type pick again THEN it’s the difference between gauthier type and Boucher type.
No, it became a Boucher (or xxx pick as I wrote) pick because we went on a late season surge and jumped from picking 3 to picking 10 in the final 2 weeks of the season. The late season surge was the reason we ended up with Boucher instead of the consensus top 9. Sens lose against Toronto in the final game, they have their choice of their top prospect at 8. Thts not even factoring in them going 9-2-1 in the lats 12 games of the year, going from picking 3rd to 10th in the final 2 weeks.

Sub Boucher out for whoever. It was the difference between picking in the very clear top 9 to picking 10.

Dropping in the draft can be the difference between getting the guy you want and the guy we settle for.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Everything I've seen suggests the big tiers brake after the top two, then somewhere around 10-12, I get the feeling it's more of a jump ball where we'll pick, rather than Clarke/Gauthier vs Boucher scenario, but who knows how our scouts see it, we may have a guy ranked 3rd that everyone else has 8th,

I've given up on caring about one or two spots up or down because every time I get my hopes up we pick a Lee (Kopitar), White(Konecny), Lazar (Mantha) JBD (Miller, traded back though) or Boucher(Sillinger) instead of the guy I like anyways... Then again, I wanted just about anybody over Pinto so what do I know...

Reactions: DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Everything I've seen suggests the big tiers brake after the top two, then somewhere around 10-12, I get the feeling it's more of a jump ball where we'll pick, rather than Clarke/Gauthier vs Boucher scenario, but who knows how our scouts see it, we may have a guy ranked 3rd that everyone else has 8th,

I've given up on caring about one or two spots up or down because every time I get my hopes up we pick a Lee (Kopitar), White(Konecny), Lazar (Mantha) JBD (Miller, traded back though) or Boucher(Sillinger) instead of the guy I like anyways... Then again, I wanted just about anybody over Pinto so what do I know...
NHL teams don’t view things like scouting services, they have their guys and they want their guys. It being more open is irrelevant, as they will be taking their top rated player either way. It’s a jump ball for fans, because they view the guys as though they are in tiers, but it’s not for the teams. Picking higher gives you a better chance of getting that guy.

Look at 2020, reading every service and talking head there was a tier of 7/8 players after the top 3 and it doesn’t much matter who you take, that was the view in here for the most part with what, 8 different guys being wanted. It was thought that all were valued about the same in the same tier. Of course that isn’t actually the case and the Sens had Sanderson atop, and if they missed out on him, they are in an insanely worse spot right now.

No different than this year, the Sens have a guy that they want, same as they did with Sanderson. They aren’t going to be happy, and they shouldn’t be, if they miss out in the chance to take them because of dropping in the rankings. A single spot at the top of the draft is gigantic. Look at the Sens offering so much, and trying so hard, to move from 9 to 7 with the Leafs in 2009. It’s a gigantic, huge deal for the scouting teams.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Would you sit brady/sanderson remaining games to see who elevates their game, keep them healthy for next year and help the tank?
Not without injury, they need to dress their entire lineup. No player would allow themselves to be sat without injury, and any player that would without putting the place up is likely not someone you want on the team.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
We kind of need to lose against Montreal in two games, as painful as that sounds

Our second 1st round pick would be better if Boston doesn’t finish first in division during regular season and then doesn’t win the conference in the playoffs. Unlikely though, down 3 points on Boston with 3 games remaining (Florida would win the tiebreak), and Boston having no top-tier opponents left. We are their final game, it will be interesting to see what the impact will be for win vs lose on our two first round picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad