GDT: Around the League 2023-24: The Marathon Becomes A Sprint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

This whole scene was hilarious. Mitchy reacts about how you’d expect him to, having a hissy fit.

Most guys break a stick now and then. Mitchy acts like a 5 year old, and throws his gloves down and then pouts.

I just question what the best course of action is for the Leafs here.

I almost wonder if Marner has more value in a 50% retained deal, than he does in a sign and trade? Do one re-tool year in Toronto, and then load up when the Marner/Tavares deals are off the books?

Don't get me wrong, Marner is a great player. But what contender has the cap space to add him at full value plus a potential raise long term? What up and coming team wants to shed big assets to build around a small winger with no playoff urgency?
Best course of action for the Leafs is to stay the course. I want them to remain just as is, and go another 10 years with this group and have zero playoff success. I'm lovin' it.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I just question what the best course of action is for the Leafs here.

I almost wonder if Marner has more value in a 50% retained deal, than he does in a sign and trade? Do one re-tool year in Toronto, and then load up when the Marner/Tavares deals are off the books?

Don't get me wrong, Marner is a great player. But what contender has the cap space to add him at full value plus a potential raise long term? What up and coming team wants to shed big assets to build around a small winger with no playoff urgency?
The Leafs can't afford to keep shedding talent. That's a huge contributor to why their team just can't get over that hump.

They need to target a similarly maligned big name player and hope that they can rehabilitate and put into a place to succeed.

Zegras, Laine, Necas, Seth Jones...

I don't think that the playoff urgency criticism is a thing. Marner's game isn't built around mucking it up. A big part of his game is built around speed and the Bruins have done a tremendous job nullifying their speed through the NZ in this series.

Maybe guys like Edmundson and Lybushkin weren't the right guys to add to a roster that already had McCabe, Brodie and Benoit. Transition wasn't going to be the strong part of their game looking at that D core.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Bertuzzi oblivious to any discussion on the bench. Thinking about when the playoffs are over and being able to lay back on crack ranch.

The Leafs never disappoint and the mindset of that core was never going to get anything significant done. The kind of players that WANT to be on the fashion run way depicted in Slapshot. But not to shake it, they can't find it.

I'm gonna do it Joe....

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
The Avs do everything at high speed….forecheck, rush, defend, etc. Even when they make mistakes, the do it at high speed…and recover at high speed.
I’m hoping the Jets somehow can stretch the series to 7 games and slow them down.
Avs will be a handful for their next opponent too…..the WC winner goes through them.
That’s the obvious stuff.
To counter, a team needs to knock them off their flight paths and not give them a chance to control the ice. Jets are just watching things unfold and not getting in the way at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark