Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News - 2023-24

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It sucks pretty bad for Coyotes fans, and my heart goes out to them, but I don't want that misery to also spread to SLC fans, they haven't done anything wrong. They'd better rename the team the "Punks" though.
I want Utah to fail miserably to reflect poorly on the NHL and Bettman, not to make Utah fans miserable. I know some people here still remember the North Stars leaving and how shitty it feels.

I've lived in Phoenix for a while now and I've grown attached to the Coyotes, I've also become a big fan of their GM, coach, players, and especially the young guys like Cooley, Guenther and Doan. I was looking forward to watching them grow right in front of me and seeing what they could do. I can't follow that to Utah.

If this is really going through, and Meruelo is selling the team so he can try to get an expansion team instead, he's a complete scum of the earth douchebag. That's as low as it gets for an owner when you consider how the fans have become attached to these players and had hope for the future on ice product. If he sells, he better not be in the running for an Arizona expansion franchise at any point in the future, ever. If it's the NHL trying to ram this through with the idea that they'll give Arizona an expansion franchise and all will be forgiven, I'll be disgusted with the NHL for similar reasons (the GM, coach, players, etc).

I would have welcomed Utah to the league with open arms, I'm not against league expansion like some people are. I want an Atlanta team too. It just shouldn't happen this way. It's disgusting all around and I'm not sure who to be the most disgusted with, but I think after I go to the Lightning/Sabres game on Monday (on vacation), I'm done with the NHL until at least the start of next season. A major bad taste in my mouth right now from all of this.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I want Utah to fail miserably to reflect poorly on the NHL and Bettman, not to make Utah fans miserable. I know some people here still remember the North Stars leaving and how shitty it feels.

I've lived in Phoenix for a while now and I've grown attached to the Coyotes, I've also become a big fan of their GM, coach, players, and especially the young guys like Cooley, Guenther and Doan. I was looking forward to watching them grow right in front of me and seeing what they could do. I can't follow that to Utah.

If this is really going through, and Meruelo is selling the team so he can try to get an expansion team instead, he's a complete scum of the earth douchebag. That's as low as it gets for an owner when you consider how the fans have become attached to these players and had hope for the future on ice product. If he sells, he better not be in the running for an Arizona expansion franchise at any point in the future, ever. If it's the NHL trying to ram this through with the idea that they'll give Arizona an expansion franchise and all will be forgiven, I'll be disgusted with the NHL for similar reasons (the GM, coach, players, etc).

I would have welcomed Utah to the league with open arms, I'm not against league expansion like some people are. I want an Atlanta team too. It just shouldn't happen this way. It's disgusting all around and I'm not sure who to be the most disgusted with, but I think after I go to the Lightning/Sabres game on Monday (on vacation), I'm done with the NHL until at least the start of next season. A major bad taste in my mouth right now from all of this.
Yeah, I understand why you said what you said, it's just that you can't have one without the other. If the Punks suffer, the league suffers, and the fans suffer. I am one of those North Stars fans who remember. I'm sorry those Arizona fans have to go through it now, and I'm sorry you do, too. I held the same sentiment as you when the North Stars left, so I get it.

And yeah, eff Norm Green and eff Meruelo too (if it's true), If that's how it is going/went down, it really shows the amount of slime coating him and the league.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Let's be honest. They're still gonna build a new arena, and they'll get one of the first expansion teams in the next 5-8 years.

Don't get me wrong. I feel for Yotes fans. We know the feeling VERY well. But what the league did to fight for them for 10-12 years, while letting others get cut loose so quickly.....it just had to come to an end at some point. And it's crazy how long they let this drag out. NHL teams should NOT be playing in 4000-5000 seat arenas.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The Yotes should have left AZ ~15 years ago when the NHL took control of the team because they couldn't find a buyer to keep the team in AZ. It's been a dysfunctional relationship between the team and the area (state/city) for years now. It's (past) time for a clean break.

They have been playing in a small college (4600 seat) arena for a couple of years and they would be there for another few (3 I think) years even if everything had gone "right" in their latest attempt to get a stadium built. It's just bad for the league as a whole to have that look and revenue blackhole for so long.

I feel bad for the AZ fans losing the team. They are the losers in this happening. Maybe they'll get an expansion team in a few years with a new arena and fresh start?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I can't fathom that the NHL would allow Merulo to get an expansion team after what he has done in ARI.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I can't fathom that the NHL would allow Merulo to get an expansion team after what he has done in ARI.

The NHL is a good ol' boys club...

I can see it happening, if he's the only one that'll spend the money to make it happen to have a team in AZ. It took them ~4 years to find someone last time and the league ended up running the team until they did.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The NHL is a good ol' boys club...

I can see it happening, if he's the only one that'll spend the money to make it happen to have a team in AZ. It took them ~4 years to find someone last time and the league ended up running the team until they did.
Yeah, but he's not a good 'ol boy. He's a classic carpetbagger.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
He and Reaves also assisted on the one and only goal for the Leafs- really clever pass by Dewar. Or do you only post negative things about him?
Fell asleep for the third period. But I’ll be frank, I don’t think Dewar is a good NHL 4th line player. I’m glad he is gone and I hope he doesn’t come back.

Good on him for getting a point while getting blown out though :thumbu:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I'm sure this conversation will go the same way it does every year, but shocker that Mark Stone magically got healthy for game 1 again.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I'm sure this conversation will go the same way it does every year, but shocker that Mark Stone magically got healthy for game 1 again.
They'll only close the loophole when a team like the Wild, Jackets, or Sens try to take advantage of it. Vegas isn't even trying to hide their cheating ways at this point.

Reactions: Ladde and Wild11MN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad