Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I wonder why the Leafs don't open their arena up for away playoff games so that fans can go inside and watch the game on the big screen in comfort? Both the Oilers and Nucks do that for their away games and its cool to see so many turn out to fill their arenas even when its not a home game.

Might be afraid of setting a precedent of opening up SBA for away Leafs playoff games only to have to remove that option when the Raptors make the playoffs and may need the arena. Canucks do share their arena with the local NLL team but they're out right now so it doesn't matter, and in the event that they were playing it may be easier to move the Lacrosse team to a different venue than an NBA team.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Both Oilers and Nucks were so Leafy tonight, guess all their former Leafs are playing hard.
One team dominated plays and could get more than 2.
One team tied it up in the dying minute and lose it in the dying seconds.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Might be afraid of setting a precedent of opening up SBA for away Leafs playoff games only to have to remove that option when the Raptors make the playoffs and may need the arena. Canucks do share their arena with the local NLL team but they're out right now so it doesn't matter, and in the event that they were playing it may be easier to move the Lacrosse team to a different venue than an NBA team.
It could be, but maybe perhaps have a compromise where you can open up the arena if there's no conflicting dates between Leafs and Raps playoff games or other events that may be happening that's using the arena.

Also would love to see them show the game at Yonge-Dundas Square so that people can watch there as well in addition to outside SBA. Always wondered why they wouldn't put up a giant screen similar to what they have outside SBA at YD Square that they can use for advertising regularly and then use it to show playoff games for the Leafs and Raps and let more people enjoy the games without everyone going to outside the SBA.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
So, was that game winner a high stick by Draisaitl? You could argue it's not conclusive enough to overturn, but for the NHL to decide its not even worth reviewing is ridiculous.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
So, was that game winner a high stick by Draisaitl? You could argue it's not conclusive enough to overturn, but for the NHL to decide its not even worth reviewing is ridiculous.

People will say Drai draws a lot of penalties because he dives, which I think he does a bit. He embellishes more than any other star I can think of

But he also draws because him and McDavid are just beast on the puck. They hold on to the puck, they carry the puck

Matthews doesn't want to carry the puck at all. He's ok along the boards, not great. Not at Malkin, Barkov or Draistil level.

Draisaitl is the 9th player in history to reach 20 points in 10 playoff games. Insane stuff.
Weird to stars being stars right?
Every play for that team goes through 2 players. Hard to hate a player when you put that kind of numbers

97 points in 58 games in playoffs. In regular reason that would be insane number, but to do that in playoffs is just crazy good

Matthews and company are no where near some of the other stars in the league.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I wonder why the Leafs don't open their arena up for away playoff games so that fans can go inside and watch the game on the big screen in comfort? Both the Oilers and Nucks do that for their away games and its cool to see so many turn out to fill their arenas even when its not a home game.
Can't speak to Vancouver or Edmonton, but SBA is often booked out for other events

The fateful night we were knocked out by Boston this year, for example, I was at SBA for a concert. The concert was announced back in November with tickets on sale in December, well before any playoff schedule would be dreamt of (thinking about it, it's pretty surprising they agreed to blackout a Saturday night in early May for a concert, just in case)

They did have the square outside open for the game, and all the TVs in the concourse and bars in the arena had the game on, though

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
To me this EDM vs VAN series is easily the lowest in quality and think whoever wins will get smacked by any of DAL/FLA/NYR/CAR
I tried and made it to the 5 minute mark. I have no idea about either team but the fans didn’t seem to be very enthused for a playoff game.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Draisaitl is the 9th player in history to reach 20 points in 10 playoff games. Insane stuff.

As much as I hate Edmonton (mostly their crazy fans),
Draisaitl is a beast in the playoffs.
He hangs on to the puck and no one can push him off it,
he has that insane one timer no one has figured out how to stop.
He also has insane passing abilities
and best of all has a nasty mean streak to him.
And he plays through injuries ;)

Rumours are he might end up in San Jose due to the owner being German there. If he resigns with the Oilers, there goes any chance of them competing. 14 Million for him is about right.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
For those that still refuse to give Drai his due. This MoFo knows how to raise his game in the playoffs and he also does it playing hurt. He makes the 3 amigos look like losers in comparison. [MOD]

1715789932561.png

Last edited by a moderator:

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

Rumours are he might end up in San Jose due to the owner being German there. If he resigns with the Oilers, there goes any chance of them competing. 14 Million for him is about right.

I thought there's a cap on how much you can earn a season?

None the less, if the Oilers don't make a noise this year or next year, they'll be done
Everyone has a threshold

The fact that Pickard is now your goalie, that can't be going well with McDavid and Drai.

Drai has endured all that he can, given all that he can. He has numbers to back it up

Can't believe you are getting so much out of 8 Million

Reactions: 3blizzard4

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Draisaitl makes less than Marner and Tavares. That guy is a powerhouse in the playoffs.
... talking trash to the opponent, involved in scrums. Mcdavid, the best player in the world gets in a slashing match with the opponent and eats a crosscheck to the face.

Lol 11 million Marner wont go into corners, to the front of the net, won't get into scrums and won't even make a dirty face towards the opponent.... AND he produces no offense and he is usually always at fault for the opponents crucial goals against in elimination games.

• Haha

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He makes less than the other two dynamos as well.
Are you referring to Nylander?

He made 7 million this year bud and the last 5 years... Nylander hasnt played even one game for more than 7 million yet. AND he still has blown the doors off in the playoffs compared to 11 million Marner.

I think Nylander has 17 playoff goals in the last 5 postseasons? Also leads the team in postseason elimination game goals I believe.

additionally, this past postseaso, Nylander and Matthew's both put the team on their back offensively and won games. Something the healthy Marner didn't even come close to doing in any of the pathetic 7 games he played.

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Drai is probably closer to Ovie than AM due to his style of play.
Just look at what you wrote and it was pretty much Ovie back in the days.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Are you referring to Nylander?

He made 7 million this year bud and the last 5 years... Nylander hasnt played even one game for more than 7 million yet. AND he still has blown the doors off in the playoffs compared to 11 million Marner.

I think Nylander has 17 playoff goals in the last 5 postseasons? Also leads the team in postseason elimination game goals I believe.

additionally, this past postseaso, Nylander and Matthew's both put the team on their back offensively and won games. Something the healthy Marner didn't even come close to doing in any of the pathetic 7 games he played.

I wouldn't say Matthews put the team on his back. He had one good game and that's it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad