Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
People have been blaming depth for the leafs failures for years. The truth is that GMs for those teams have still given the Leafs enough depth to win in the playoffs. Their failure to consistently advance is very clearly a result of having their best players not show up when the hockey gets more physical and defensive.
Always so much focus on their stars but their team is horribly built.

People critique Boston but their talent is spread out. You list their best players and you would land on Pastranak, Marchand, McAvoy, Carlo, Lindholm, Swayman, Ullmark. Their major issue is they are seriously lacking a 1C but they are well built otherwise.

You list the leafs best players and the only guy that’s not a forward is Rielly.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
No team will succeed if they cant rely on depth in the playoffs.

Dangle sucks so hard. He's only successful because he speaks to the grandiose narcissism of that fanbase. He gets to throw the tantrum on their behalf.

We would have been better served giving $5m to Foligno than to Tarasenko imo. Not a knock on Tarasenko at all, he was a good acquisition, but Foligno is the definition of an all-around pro.
Dangle is legitimately one of the most embarrassing people I’ve come across following hockey in my 35 years alive.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Imagine….. In 2006, the Sens selected Nick Folino in the first round, no second round pick, and in the third round they selected Eric Gryba.

Three picks later, the Bruins selected Brad Marchand

View attachment 861044
Feel like Marchand was around so much earlier than gryba. Would have never guess they were the same draft

Dangle is legitimately one of the most embarrassing people I’ve come across following hockey in my 35 years alive.
He’s blocked on my twitter. Guy is so annoying

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I've been stolling through the Around the NHL boards, East only so far. Not much, any at all really, sympathy for leafs. Laughter. There is very much laughter.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Seeing Marchand at 6m then seeing our bums at 8M bring a tear closer to my eye.

The tear would fully fall out though if our bums were 10-12M guys like our Ontario counterpart.

Marchand’s 6 was a pretty similar % of the cap when he signed to the sens % of the cap when they signed.

Of course our guys weren’t as accomplished but the process wasn’t insane.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Jets don't get criticized enough for consistently crapping the bed in the playoffs.

Last 5 years they've only gotten past the 1st round once, which was 20/21 (the playoff bubble year), and then they got swept by the Habs.

You'd think a team built around strong team defense with one of the NHL's best goalies would be able to have some success in the playoffs, but they haven't and are just getting dismantled by the Avs right now.

Reactions: Sens9292

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Winnipeg are the third best team on the ice again. Stick a fork in them.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Steve Dangle is so embarrassing, the dude managed to turn ranting about the Leafs on the internet into a career with Sportsnet, a book deal, a successful podcast network, and now gets to spend his life talking about hockey, traveling to see games across the continent, and rubbing elbows with both the players and NHL sports media. Seriously, what a...

Shit. Why didn't I start a channel ranting about the Sens when I was in high school?! I could've been living like a king!

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
It's interesting how the Avs' 3 best players all far exceeded their draft expectations.

Mackinnon was 1OA, but even so, no one expected him to become the 2nd best player in the league.
Rantanen was considered a top 10 pick by scouts, but nobody had projected him to become a 1000 point player.
Makar was seen as a great powerplay quarterback and offensive defenseman, but again, was not at all projected to become the best D-man in the league at the time of his draft.

Reactions: DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It's interesting how the Avs' 3 best players all far exceeded their draft expectations.

Mackinnon was 1OA, but even so, no one expected him to become the 2nd best player in the league.
Rantanen was considered a top 10 pick by scouts, but nobody had projected him to become a 1000 point player.
Makar was seen as a great powerplay quarterback and offensive defenseman, but again, was not at all projected to become the best D-man in the league at the time of his draft.
That will apply to any of the top teams in the league

Reactions: JD1

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
1714349896032.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad