Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I thought you were referring to the Bennett crosscheck on Coyle leading to the goal and review.

For the others, one of the on ice officials has to see the potential major penalty. If someone is bleeding but the refs or linesmen don't see what caused it they can't stop the game to rewind footage until they see something.

I think it's 4 because they reviewed the Vilardi penalty and it was explained afterwards that anything over a minor can be called by a linesman.
But a linesman can't call the play dead haha?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
But a linesman can't call the play dead haha?

No. Here's the relevant rulebook section:

The Linesperson may stop play and report what he witnessed to the Referees when:
(i) There are too many men on the ice Rule 74
(ii) Articles are thrown on the ice from the players’ bench or penalty bench Rule 75 (iii) When team personnel interfere with a game official Rule 39
(iv) When a player who has lost or broken his stick receives one illegally Rule 10
(v) When any identifiable player on the player’s or penalty bench, by means of his stick or his body, interferes with the movements of the puck or an opponent

Rule 56 The Linesperson must report upon completion of play, any circumstances pertaining to:
(vi) Major penalties
(vii) Match penalties
(viii) Misconduct penalties
(ix) Game Misconduct penalties
(x) Abuse of Officials
(xi) Physical Abuse of Officials
(xii) Unsportsmanlike Conduct Rule 20 Rule 21 Rule 22 Rule 23 Rule 39 Rule 40 Rule 75

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

The Linesperson may stop play and report what he witnessed to the Referees when:
(ii) Articles are thrown on the ice from the players’ bench or penalty bench Rule 75 (iii) When team personnel interfere with a game official Rule 39
(iv) When a player who has lost or broken his stick receives one illegally Rule 10
(v) When any identifiable player on the player’s or penalty bench, by means of his stick or his body, interferes with the movements of the puck or an opponent

Rule 56 The Linesperson must report upon completion of play, any circumstances pertaining to:
(vi) Major penalties
(vii) Match penalties
(x) Abuse of Officials
(xii) Unsportsmanlike Conduct Rule 20 Rule 21 Rule 22 Rule 23 Rule 39 Rule 40 Rule 75
Interesting...!! still doesn't explain how no video reviews are being called though

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Interesting...!! still doesn't explain how no video reviews are being called though

The easy explanation is that no one thought there was a penalty to call at the time. They can only review a potential call if they call a major penalty, and if they don't see something or don't think there's a penalty there then they can't review it.

Like the Bruins themselves said they didn't see the Bennett punch to Marchand until they watched the video replay. If the 4 officials on the ice didn't see anything specifically, they can't call a major on Bennett for whatever and then take a look. With Trouba, my best guess is that they didn't think it was worth a penalty so they didn't review it.

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Utah Salties?
374817AD-AB8C-4EBC-9351-EF760D50D3B5.gif

Reactions: robertocarlos

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
It was only a cross check to the face because Zadorov shoved McDavid from behind into Soucy's stick.

It still would have been very high around the upper chest and neck area. Zadorov is a bitch for being the 3rd man in. The cross checks are dangerous, but I don't think they are going to get a suspension. I can see a fine. That's it. They're not going to take somebody out for a single game unless it was that egregious.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
This battle of shittiest goalies really is enjoyable. Van goalie looks like a limp hazek out there.

League needs bigger nets (or smaller goalies).

Last edited:
Reactions: surixon

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
It still would have been very high around the upper chest and neck area. Zadorov is a bitch for being the 3rd man in. The cross checks are dangerous, but I don't think they are going to get a suspension. I can see a fine. That's it. They're not going to take somebody out for a single game unless it was that egregious.

Huh. I was only half right. Zadorov gets a fine and Soucy gets a hearing. Bitches.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

(vi) Major penalties
(vii) Match penalties
(x) Abuse of Officials
So it looks like they can't call double minors?

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Will be crazy if Soucy gets suspended for a stick to the face of falling McD while Hughes cut gets ignored...

Really strong case to tank actually - if you get a star on your team, you get special treatment

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
So it looks like they can't call double minors?

No, so my guess is they called a major and reduced to a double minor, as you said earlier as an excuse to review it.

I believe that more than a conspiracy against the Jets, at any rate.

Reactions: Buffdog

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
No, so my guess is they called a major and reduced to a double minor, as you said earlier as an excuse to review it.

I believe that more than a conspiracy against the Jets, at any rate.
Yeah, I was just looking through the NHL rulebook. I think they fudged up the process a bit on the Vilardi play but ended up getting the call right.

Linesmen can stop the play if they see a high stick cause injury (double minor) but I seem to recall them letting the play go on until a whistle, at which point the refs huddled and called the major so they could review it. They should have just called the double minor off the get go

My suspicion is that nobody actually saw it so they called the major just to look at what they missed. I don't think it's a conspiracy, but they should have done the same thing in the Edmonton game but didn't. Inconsistencies like that are what lead to the conspiracy thoughts

Reactions: WolfHouse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad