OT: Around the NHL: Go Cats Go

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
It is a massive ask for 2 ES goals a game out of a line. Teams often don't even get 2 goals in a game these playoffs. I don't care if they're superstars. It's just the way numbers work. That's too much.
You want 14 ES goals from them in a 7 game series? Like, what?
More than 1 doesn't mean 2, you know. Could be 1.5 or something. It's not such a big ask against a team that on paper is weaker than the Oilers and is used to relying heavily on their star goalie who is not available right now. And is matching Tyler Freaking Myers against them. I don't give a damn if it's not normal for your average line to score that many goals, your average line doesn't have the best player in the league and a Hart winner playing together and having magical chemistry to boot. I suspect they will break the dam soon and you will see exactly how possible it is to score that many goals (assuming they stay on the same line). Especially with Soucy suspended.

The Rags are such frauds. For a while it looked like freaking Trouba was going to score a series winning goal and then finally Shesterkin showed a bit of weakness and of course the Rags folded like a cheap suit.

Put up more of an effort than COL, though, talk about not showing up for a crucial game in your own barn. And the Stars' drafting has been beyond incredible and is now paying dividends.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Obviously Crosby's been fine in the playoffs.
But he was Obviously referring to McDavid's 1.64 ppg in the playoffs vs. Crosby's 1.11.
Which is an increase in McDavid's regular season production while Crosby's is a dip in production.
So in that case, Draisaitl's better than McDavid by that metric because his numbers go up even more than McDavid's do.

Hell, Draisaitl's actually producing more in the playoffs than McDavid is. 95 points in 57 games versus 91 points in 57 games.

Or it could be that it's simply easier to score nowadays than it was during Crosby's peak years, so comparing raw totals is a questionable way of doing things.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
So in that case, Draisaitl's better than McDavid by that metric because his numbers go up even more than McDavid's do.

Hell, Draisaitl's actually producing more in the playoffs than McDavid is. 95 points in 57 games versus 91 points in 57 games.

Or it could be that it's simply easier to score nowadays than it was during Crosby's peak years, so comparing raw totals is a questionable way of doing things.
A- I was just pointing out what I thought the OP meant
B- I'd always choose Crosby, he does so much more than score
C- anyone that belittles McDavid is just moronic. Anyone that can improve already absurd production during the playoffs, is a ratified and phenomenal talent.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yeah, if you drop prime Sid and Geno into the current game and play them on the same line, I have no doubt they're putting up pretty nasty #'s, especially if you're only calculating PPG average through the 1st two rounds, which you basically should be when talking about McDrai.

Now, Pens prob ain't winning shit, but it'd be fun to watch.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Panthers playing like butt, Boston obviously giving it everything they got. Still betting Panthers win this game.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If the refs called goalie interference against the Pens like they do against the Bruins, the Pens would have made the playoffs this year.

Reactions: Andy99

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Oof Vancouver shit the bed. I think that’s the series, they needed to win this one.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
A- I was just pointing out what I thought the OP meant
B- I'd always choose Crosby, he does so much more than score
C- anyone that belittles McDavid is just moronic. Anyone that can improve already absurd production during the playoffs, is a ratified and phenomenal talent.
My point was that poster didn't have a valid point to say Crosby was overrated and people make excuses for his lousy performances. The way it was phrased made it sound like Crosby didn't really perform in the playoffs, but Pens fans made it sound like he did, thus he's overrated compared to how he actually performed. That's a garbage take considering the vast majority of Crosby's playoffs have been stellar and his record/all-time ranking backs that up with actual evidence.

As for your last point, the point again, was context. Saying McDavid produces X amount in the playoffs versus Crosby producing Y amount suggesting something, ignores the context of it being a]easier to score nowadays and b]most of that scoring is in the 1st or 2nd round, which is notoriously easier in general. The Draisaitl mention was to further illustrate that point.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
This series is amazingly tied, and the Canucks even retain home ice advantage, however irrelevant that has proven to be so far. But the fact that we have a 2-2 series with Ian Cole's name coming up in so many critical instances is astonishing. Dude is having a second round that would make JMFJ blush.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
My point was that poster didn't have a valid point to say Crosby was overrated and people make excuses for his lousy performances. The way it was phrased made it sound like Crosby didn't really perform in the playoffs, but Pens fans made it sound like he did, thus he's overrated compared to how he actually performed. That's a garbage take considering the vast majority of Crosby's playoffs have been stellar and his record/all-time ranking backs that up with actual evidence.

As for your last point, the point again, was context. Saying McDavid produces X amount in the playoffs versus Crosby producing Y amount suggesting something, ignores the context of it being a]easier to score nowadays and b]most of that scoring is in the 1st or 2nd round, which is notoriously easier in general. The Draisaitl mention was to further illustrate that point.
1715756240183.png

The median GF/G in years that Crosby made the playoffs is 2.86.
The median in years McDavid made the playoffs is 3.03.

6%. That's the difference between them. There's so much talk about more scoring these days, but people don't actually know what the difference is. It's totally overstated.

McDavid's P/PG in the playoffs = 1.60
Crosby's P/PG in the playoffs = 1.12

30% more scoring from McDavid. Let's make it all fair and subtract that 6% from earlier...era-adjusted. McDavid is still toasting Sid by 24% in the playoffs.

And as for that stuff about quality of opponents...
McDavid has played the Kings 3 years straight. During that time, the Kings rank 6th in the league defensively. There's nothing easy about that matchup for McDavid.
It's just more bending over backwards to support Sid.

McDavid is just straight up a better playoff player than Crosby. That's a fact, no matter how we try to twist things. Accept reality.
Draisaitl is too, btw. He's even above McDavid in production.

Reactions: Kerberos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad